IGNORED

Driving distance -HELP !

Canuck371
Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this site and I'm already addicted....

OK, so here's my issue:

I'm a decent player and usually shoot between 75-85.  I'm fairly long (compared to my buddies) with my irons.  150 yards PW, 180 7 iron, 215+ 4 iron.

However, my drives are usually in the 240-255 range.  I'll get lucky 1-2 times a round and spank one 270ish.  So I basically drive the same distance as my buddies who are much shorter with thier irons (150 yard 7 irons).

I have been told that my spin rate is way to high on my drives.  I have tried several different drivers to no avail.  I always go back to my Titleist 905r stiff shaft driver.

Any suggestions????

Originally Posted by Canuck371

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this site and I'm already addicted....

OK, so here's my issue:

I'm a decent player and usually shoot between 75-85.  I'm fairly long (compared to my buddies) with my irons.  150 yards PW, 180 7 iron, 215+ 4 iron.

However, my drives are usually in the 240-255 range.  I'll get lucky 1-2 times a round and spank one 270ish.  So I basically drive the same distance as my buddies who are much shorter with thier irons (150 yard 7 irons).

I have been told that my spin rate is way to high on my drives.  I have tried several different drivers to no avail.  I always go back to my Titleist 905r stiff shaft driver.

Any suggestions????

Go to a pro shop and get fitted.

Or

Post a video of your swing and guys here can maybe help you on what needs to be worked on

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I dont think iron distance always translates into driver distance.

I hit my 9 iron 145 and very high.  My buddy hits his 9 iron 145 and about half the height as mine.    My driver is considerably longer than his 90% of the time.

Yesterday I was playing with a guy that hit his 6 iron 190 about 30 yards was roll (if anyone is familiar with Osprey down in Boca you know what I mean about the roll).  I hit my 6 the same distance with about 10 yards or less of roll.  The same scenario here, my 3 hybrid is longer than his driver.

In short.  I agree with Kieran.

They should be similar in distance, i mean its the same swing, just a longer club and lower loft. Your just shorter than i am with my irons, and i hit my drives in the 285+ range. Yes that is all carry, i have bee known to back spin a driver in the fairway on occassion if its soft. My driver goes out and has really good hang time, but not big on roll. Though i am working on that. If you can get the same swing speed as me, you should have a pretty good driver swing speed. Unless your doing something different in your driver swing than your irons.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just a thought...try moving the ball back towards the middle of your stance a bit. You may be hitting the shot too much on the upswing. This will help promote a draw and less backspin

Driver:  R9 Supertri 10.5* -  909D3 9.5*

2 Hybrid:  2009 TP Rescue 17*

Irons:  R9 TP 3-PW

Wedges:  Vokey 54* & 60*

Putter:  2Ball Vline 34"

Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!