IGNORED

Trouble finding the 'feeling' of delivering the club from the inside.

Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I've got many flaws in my swing, I'm trying to only work on one thing right now. I like to think that I've completely 'changed swings' recently, and am having trouble with my 'new swing'.

I went out to the range yesterday with the intention of working on my swing plane only. Even if I shanked myself right off the range. I know I can cast the club at the top of my downswing if needed and hit the ball straight, but that is my old swing and I want to do away with it.

So, I was working on bringing the club down from the inside [Video 1&2 below]. But I can't seem to get the correct feeling of the vertical drop on the downswing, and bringing the clubhead to the 'inside of the ball'.

The two on the left here are me, both within the last few days. The left maybe 4 days ago, and the middle is from yesterday. You can see on the far left, the shaft is basically even with the lead arm. The middle, it's a bit better as the shaft is 'between/intersecting' my two arms. Tiger is on the right, with the shaft of the club even with his trail arm[Video 3].

Fu75N.jpg

I'm not trying to 'get my clubshaft even with my trail arm', but I am trying to keep the clubhead inside my hands at this position. The clubhead is currently getting outside my hands.

Can anyone describe this feeling to me? Is it a) my address is more upright than it should be and should be more 'athetlic' b) my right hand is not retaining it's cupping and is releasing the club early due to hit impulse. c) something else?

---------------------

I've been working on various things right now (such as prematurely lifting my right foot - before the hip turn needs to legitimately pull it up). As well as working on having my hip turn bring my arms down as opposed to me moving my arms as the first part of my downswing, although in this video I still begin to move my arms shortly after the DS is initiated [Video 4 below on the right]. However, I can only do one thing at once and want to get this first.

Any ideas, drills, or explanations of feeling for the proper vertical drop and delivering the club from the inside?

----------------------

References:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3:

Video 4:

there are short cuts, but the best long term fix is to first improve your takeaway and arm/elbow positions at the top of the backswing--this will put you in a position at the top that is much easier to swing "in to out".....and don't forget the importance of the lower body (good hip turn on the backswing and good hip push forward on the downswing---both these actions have great influence on club and club path) Basically, you bring the club under plane, then lift, then over the top. Read the deep hands thread here at the SandTrap [URL]http://thesandtrap.com/t/30325/deep-hands-explained[/URL] Then read [URL]http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips[/URL] Then read [URL]http://thesandtrap.com/t/54238/elbow-position-and-its-effects-on-the-downswing[/URL]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

The drill I do:  I use a long iron with a waist high back swing and follow through.  The swing plane is so flat I have to hit from the inside.   Once I find my tempo I switch to a 7 iron and gradually start taking fuller swings keeping the same rhythm as I used for "chipping" with a 3 iron. As my swing steepens with shorter irons and my wrist cock gets stronger I need to slide and rotate more.

long iron chipping with right elbow tucked > pitching > 3/4 > full   (Using tempo as my guide.)

"On Learning Golf" by Percy Boomer is a good book on learning by feel using the fundamentals.  (Amazon has it - out of print.) The whole aim of this book is to give players a base point to find there swing when they loose it.

PS: With my body I need to do this a lot.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

looks to me as if you have some casting going on and not enough shoulder turn through impact. the way i visualize bringing it from the inside is pulling the handle toward the target with the head trailing behind then for the club face to actually hit the ball maintain your right wrist angle and turn your shoulders to square it up. then you release the club. i could be wrong but thats what i see when i look at good swings.

Mike Mayorga

Driver Nike Machspeed Black Round 9.5° Stiff

Irons Cobra SS Forged 3-PW

Putter Scotty Cameron Futura

Any ideas, drills, or explanations of feeling for the proper vertical drop and delivering the club from the inside?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself had been searching for the same feeling/swing path till last week when I was just screwing around at the range.

There were a bunch of stubborn geese nesting out in the middle of the hundred yard green and wanted to gently drop in some high, soft shots to scare them away so I could actually use the intended target without killing them. Well I over-clubbed by 2 and slowly hit my PW as soft as I could. All of the sudden my shot shape and the feeling off the face as well as the distance had suddenly and dramatically changed. At first, not being sure of what I was doing different (and better) I forgot about the birds and just tried to replicate everything I had done previously. The feeling in my mind was a long, low, slow, wide, straight back takeaway and at the top, the initial trigger to start the downswing is the feeling of leading the downswing with my right elbow towards the ball. That trigger has helped me to get my hips through the shot more than anything I have tried in the last 2 years. Just a happy accident I guess. I have read in the past of players feeling like they are putting their right elbow in their right pants pocket but that never quite clicked with me. I just think that if you go low and slow while over exaggerating things a bit you will find what your searching for.

David

I took some screenshots of yours and tigers swings at P6 (club parallel to ground and perpindicular to target) nd impact. I will draw ssome angles on them to show you the problem. I find visuals very helpful

Mike Mayorga

Driver Nike Machspeed Black Round 9.5° Stiff

Irons Cobra SS Forged 3-PW

Putter Scotty Cameron Futura

Check your right elbow. Tiger's is pretty close to his right side coming through, while your elbow is not. Also, looks like your club head is getting inside of your hands too fast going back (something I'm working on as well).

This thread may be helpful: http://thesandtrap.com/t/54238/elbow-position-and-its-effects-on-the-downswing

• 2 weeks later...

External rotation of right shoulder done by right elbow going down and out towards ball, flattening of the downswing. Also the big difference between your swing and Tigers is his lateral bend and squat

Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!