IGNORED

Custom lie for irons

Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsandy

Is it possible to lay a ball on the turf or even a tee with at least 1 degree of accuracy? I don't think I could even see the difference in 5 degrees. 5 degrees is a little over 1/16 inch rotation on the circumference of the ball, really? So if I can't, how can I say, the irons need to be adjusted 1 degree flat because of the line transferred to the club face? I say if you are not making crooked divots and the ball goes where you aim (most of the time) then the lie adjustment is good enough. What say you?

I think… you'd be surprised how much of an angle you can guess.

Guess the angle between these lines:

I would not pay much attention to divots.

You proved my point. I thought it was 5 degrees, it's 3. I was off by two degrees.

Now redraw the picture, reduce that angle by a factor of 3 three, shorten the length of the line by a factor of 5 (the length of the line above /radius of a golf ball) and tell me if you can put the ball perfectly perpendicular to the horizontal ground plane or if maybe it's off by 1 degree or maybe more.

Additionally, you have to now resolve the line on the face. Can you tell if the line is off by one degree from the score lines or 2 or even 3 using a less than 1 inch sharpie mark on the face?

So you have the inaccuracy of the placement of the ball coupled with the inaccuracy of the line to score line determination.

After all that the club fitter says, "Yep your irons are 1 degree too flat, let me adjust them for you".  ????

I think the depth of a divot measured across short side (heel to toe) can give a gross indication of a lie adjustment being needed.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well sure enough, the sharpie marker points to 1 o'clock on my 2* flat lie club.

So I'll be getting standard spec irons next time

If you were going to bring the sharpie mark back to 12 o'clock wouldn't you need to adjust the lie of the irons by 30 degrees (the angle between 12 and 1 o'clock)?

Bob

WITB

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

• Administrator

You proved my point. I thought it was 5 degrees, it's 3. I was off by two degrees.

Now redraw the picture, reduce that angle by a factor of 3 three, shorten the length of the line by a factor of 5 (the length of the line above /radius of a golf ball) and tell me if you can put the ball perfectly perpendicular to the horizontal ground plane or if maybe it's off by 1 degree or maybe more.

Additionally, you have to now resolve the line on the face. Can you tell if the line is off by one degree from the score lines or 2 or even 3 using a less than 1 inch sharpie mark on the face?

So you have the inaccuracy of the placement of the ball coupled with the inaccuracy of the line to score line determination.

After all that the club fitter says, "Yep your irons are 1 degree too flat, let me adjust them for you".  ????

I think the depth of a divot measured across short side (heel to toe) can give a gross indication of a lie adjustment being needed.

The point of drawing the line is not to get an accurate number. It's to say "yeah, probably a bit too flat" or upright.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

The point of drawing the line is not to get an accurate number. It's to say "yeah, probably a bit too flat" or upright.

Agreed, I was just trying to quantify the statement I read back further that the line was touted as a more accurate indicator than a lie board or impact tape.

Bob

WITB

• Administrator

Agreed, I was just trying to quantify the statement I read back further that the line was touted as a more accurate indicator than a lie board or impact tape.

It probably is… but only because a lie board is not terribly accurate at all. And I don't think I made that statement.

My point in showing you the 3° line was to show everyone that you can easily see that it's not "vertical" if it's off 3°.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

It probably is… but only because a lie board is not terribly accurate at all. And I don't think I made that statement.

My point in showing you the 3° line was to show everyone that you can easily see that it's not "vertical" if it's off 3°.

No, you did not make that statement, it was someone else, don't remember right now.

Bob

WITB

Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!