IGNORED

Westwood moving to US at end of 2012

the19thhole
Note: This thread is 4329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lee Westwood has announced that from the year end he will base himself and family in the US. He is going to give it 5 to 10 years in the US.

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12230/7822836/Westwood-on-the-move

I think this will be a good move for him and has obviously come about from failing at another major. Will be good to see all the top golfers play week in week out against each other. Although the PGA's gain will be the European Tour's loss.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Not sure how big a loss it will be to the European Tour, he has said he will still play both tours.

Looking at the European Tour events he played last year I suspect he will drop the Omega Masters and the KLM Open, he probably won't defend the Nordea Masters he won a couple of weeks ago.

I think he'll still play the Gulf swing early in the year, the Scottish Open as a tune up for the Open, he didn't play the Volvo Matchplay this year anyway.

Can't see him missing the BMW PGA, that really only leaves the Dunhill Links in question. It is the week after the Ryder Cup this year and was after the Tour Championship last year - I suspect there is a lot of cash on offer for this and he still might play it.

The couple of events he has played in the Far East will get the chop I imagine.

• Administrator
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on his OWGR. Many have made cases that Lee is among the top of the pack in guys who earn a LOT of points for some of the weaker events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on his OWGR. Many have made cases that Lee is among the top of the pack in guys who earn a LOT of points for some of the weaker events.

Very good point. He does play some odd events. Long term he can only benefit though from the tougher competition.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Talking about him playing weaker events, perhaps he just likes to travel? I know if I were a rich professional golfer I'd be up for playing all over. It sounds like he is making the commitment of playing here versus better golfers to try and finally grab that major. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he went back to playing the world once he nabs one.

Originally Posted by iacas

Many have made cases that Lee is among the top of the pack in guys who earn a LOT of points for some of the weaker events.

I agree with that, and am glad he's coming over here to play more.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Seems pretty late in life to make this choice. He has 3 or 4 prime years left (after 43  the list of major winners gets really small)  and then a couple of OK ones. Seems like move that should have been done 5 years ago if he thought it would help him.

Originally Posted by the19thhole

Lee Westwood has announced that from the year end he will base himself and family in the US. He is going to give it 5 to 10 years in the US.

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12230/7822836/Westwood-on-the-move

I think this will be a good move for him and has obviously come about from failing at another major. Will be good to see all the top golfers play week in week out against each other. Although the PGA's gain will be the European Tour's loss.

Originally Posted by x129

Seems pretty late in life to make this choice. He has 3 or 4 prime years left (after 43  the list of major winners gets really small)  and then a couple of OK ones. Seems like move that should have been done 5 years ago if he thought it would help him.

The Champions Tour is over here...

Note: This thread is 4329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!