IGNORED

A little love for my Kent State Golden Flashes!

zipazoid
Note: This thread is 4154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a former NIU student I enjoy the love they are getting. A great season but I am getting sick of coaches being successful then moving on to more "prestigious" programs. Dave Doeren has now left the Huskies and will coach at NC state. He will not coach the bowl game.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-01/sports/chi-dave-doeren-nc-state-northern-illinois-20121201_1_jeff-compher-rod-carey-niu-athletic-director

Had never seen any of the full versions.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Originally Posted by TimG3394

As a former NIU student I enjoy the love they are getting. A great season but I am getting sick of coaches being successful then moving on to more "prestigious" programs. Dave Doeren has now left the Huskies and will coach at NC state. He will not coach the bowl game.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-01/sports/chi-dave-doeren-nc-state-northern-illinois-20121201_1_jeff-compher-rod-carey-niu-athletic-director

For sure. Darrel Hazell (Kent HC) didn't even have a clause in his contract for a bonus had they gotten a BCS berth. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's still coaching Kent next year.

You probably saw it, but during the game they showed a graphic of how much the coaches made compared to the $1.5 million average.  One was $300k and the other was $400k.  Unfortunately for fans/alumni of small schools, money talks.

~Justin

It sucks but thats the deal.  I can think of plenty of coaches who left Wisconsin for more money elsewhere too.  I try to look at it as a testement to how great the program is.  Same with NIU.  I grew up about 30 minutes north of the NIU campus (Janesville, WI), so Im well-aware of how great the program is and its nice to see the Huskies win the MAC 2 years in a row.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I understand the whole money thing, I just can't imagine leading your team, a MAC team, to its first BCS bowl and just leaving. But I suppose that is easy for me to say sitting here. Hopefully we keep proving everyone wrong and play well against FSU

I understand the whole money thing, I just can't imagine leading your team, a MAC team, to its first BCS bowl and just leaving. But I suppose that is easy for me to say sitting here. Hopefully we keep proving everyone wrong and play well against FSU

Yeah, I didn't even think about the fact he isn't going to be coaching in potentially a BCS game, that is surprising.

~Justin

Originally Posted by smellysell

Yeah, I didn't even think about the fact he isn't going to be coaching in potentially a BCS game, that is surprising.

Yup Orange Bowl in Miami. I suppose I will have to get used to it. Unless NIU really becomes a powerhouse (don't see this happening) it will remain a stepping stone for coaches

Got the email from the alumni association this morning. Kent's going to the GoDaddy.com Bowl.  While not the Orange Bowl, and congrats to NIU for getting the berth, I am still thrilled my school is going to any bowl game. First time in forty years.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Got the email from the alumni association this morning. Kent's going to the GoDaddy.com Bowl.  While not the Orange Bowl, and congrats to NIU for getting the berth, I am still thrilled my school is going to any bowl game. First time in forty years.

That's crazy!  Congrats

~Justin

I am also an NIU alum and it's great to see their success.  The Orange Bowl is a big deal!  I really hope they can compete with FSU.  The reality is, though, that they haven't beaten any good teams...their one loss was to an Iowa team that was terrible this year.

However,  NIU is clearly just a feeder school.  As others have mentioned, the money is much better at other schools...why would you stay for $400k when you can make $1M+ elsewhere?  While I agree it's a little crappy to not even stay to coach the bowl game, I definitely agree with his decision to accept a huge promotion.  It's the same thing the previous coach, Jerry Kill, did...both in coming to NIU from SIU, as well as going to Minnesota afterwards.  We do it to smaller schools just as the bigger guys do it to us.  It's all a food chain.

Note: This thread is 4154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!