IGNORED

How bad is a $25 driver really? Help a broke college kid.

Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most beginners and players with slower swing speeds would benefit from playing a 12 or 13 degree driver, but ego and misinformation leads them to buy lower lofted drivers.  If you're having problems with the driver, I would go with a higher loft.

My next driver will be a 12* based on launch monitor data, but getting on a launch monitor is the only real way to know what loft you need.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

Most beginners and players with slower swing speeds would benefit from playing a 12 or 13 degree driver, but ego and misinformation leads them to buy lower lofted drivers.  If you're having problems with the driver, I would go with a higher loft.

My next driver will be a 12* based on launch monitor data, but getting on a launch monitor is the only real way to know what loft you need.

So I should probably go with at least a 11.5 degree loft then? Do you guys recommend going all the way to a 13? I don't have access to a launch monitor so I won't be able to figure out what loft I need. Like I said though, I usually can't even hit the ball of the tee.

13 is a bit high for a driver in my opinion. You can get a 3 fairway wood with that loft and it is easier to control as well.  The fairway wood that is only in good condition? Should be fine for 40 bucks. .

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Craigslist is your friend. Got my 4w, putter and both Titleist wedges for $100.

I would like to thank my many sponsors:

Cobra Amp 9.5* Driver; Aldila RIP Stiff 55g shaft

Titleist 904f 17* 4W; S300 shaft

Callaway X-22 3-P, reg flex, 1/2" long, 2* up

Titleist Vokey 252.08 & 256.14 wedges; standard

Ping Anser Putter (because it gives me the confidence I need to 4 putt)

Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo grips all around

Top-flite Gamer V2 ball

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, 34yo.

Originally Posted by sleepy35758

Thanks for the help everybody. Here is what I'm now looking at getting now. It's a little over what I was wanting to spend but it's not too much.

Driver

Fairway Wood with a loft of 11.5

Wedge

They also have a used driver of the same type that's about 15 dollars cheaper but the loft is 10.5. Would I benefit from the loft being 11.5 vs 10.5? And I could also get a driver with a loft of 13. Would that be too high? Like I said, I'm pretty strong but having trouble even getting the ball of the tee and am not really worried about an extra ten or fifteen yards, I'm just trying to get it 200 plus and into play. What do you guys think? And should I be worried that the fairway wood is only in "good" condition?

I think you would be happy with all of those clubs.  Try 3ballsgolf on Ebay, and you can probably find them cheaper though.  They have a retail site too, but their stuff almost always goes cheaper on Ebay.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

I saw that same deal but the loft on it was 10.5. They offer that club in lofts of 10.5 11.5 and 13? Would I benifit a whole lot more from a loft of 11.5 or 13 as opposed to a 10.5 if I'm having trouble even getting the ball off the tee? And I'm looking at the same type of club for my fairway wood and it has a loft of 15. Would that be a good forgiving fairway wood?

Actually I got the 13 degree driver. People are always saying to hit a 3 wood off the tee in order to get the loft which helps most beginners. I see no reason to do that if you can get a high loft driver (close to the same as 3 wood loft) with a larger head and much more forgiveness.

It's actually 69.99 right now for the 13* one and there is another nike driver for the same price if you want to check it out. I was able to get mine at $49.99 because it was "open box" even thought it had never been unwrapped.

Originally Posted by Fromthecoast

It's actually 69.99 right now for the 13* one and there is another nike driver for the same price if you want to check it out. I was able to get mine at $49.99 because it was "open box" even thought it had never been unwrapped.

I ended up just going with the 11.5. I'm going to work on hitting the 15 degree 3w and eventually try to move up to the driver. I felt like there wouldn't be a big enough difference between my driver and 3w if I got a 13 degree loft on my driver. I also got this 4 hybrid to help me on long par 4 and 5's since I'm never able to hit a wood or driver off the fairway. Thanks for the help everyone.

Enjoy the new stick!

Did you get any wedges yet?

~Justin

I walked into one of the local golf retail stores yesterday, not expecting to buy anything, and not believing the Boxing week hype.  Pleasant surprise, wonderful sale on demo clubs if that's your thing...here's what I was able to pick up:

• Callaway RAZR Fit Driver (9.5*, Stiff) - no head-cover, and no adjustment tool - $99.99
  • Taylor Made R11 Ti 5 Wood (Stiff) - no head-cover, and no adjustment tool - $99.99
  • Taylor Made Rocketballz 50* Gap Wedge - $25.00
  • Ogio Vaporlite Stand Bag - $75.00

To the original poster, you can pick up some nice demo equipment for a small percentage of original MSRP.  Maybe these are somewhat out of your budget, but just an example of what's available through box store price reductions if you look around.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit - 9.5* Stiff

Woods: TaylorMade R11S - 3W Stiff, TaylorMade R11 Ti - 5W Stiff

Irons: Callaway X-12 - 3-PW Uniflex

Wedges: TaylorMade Rocketballz 50* AW - Cleveland 588 RTG 56* SW

Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 2

Originally Posted by notsohard

they are all shiit clubs, simply because this is spam

lmfao. damn

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Ended up just going with this wedge. I was already over budget so though I'd go with something cheaper that matched the irons I picked up a couple weeks ago.

Nothing wrong with that wedge, it will be just fine for you I would bet.

~Justin

I ended up just going with the 11.5. I'm going to work on hitting the 15 degree 3w and eventually try to move up to the driver. I felt like there wouldn't be a big enough difference between my driver and 3w if I got a 13 degree loft on my driver. I also got this 4 hybrid to help me on long par 4 and 5's since I'm never able to hit a wood or driver off the fairway. Thanks for the help everyone.

For me, I hit the 15* 3w just as bad as my driver. I think a lot of my problem is not hitting the club consistently, and the longer length of a driver or wood just makes the issue even worse. I would probably be much better off with a much shorter driver shaft length, but so far I have been unwilling to experiment. I'm just getting back into golf, but I'm planning on mostly hitting 5-PW as much as possible, although I will keep a driver and a 4H in the bag.

Note: This thread is 4133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!