IGNORED

My Swing (WillM)

WillM
Note: This thread is 2816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is video of today with the change for more central vision... I liked it, hit the ball well and there were some new feelings.

Also notice the alignment stick under my left foot... this is a drill I found to work on left foot stability... Maybe it is crazy but I am desperate :)

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Address looks better. Would also like to see the left hand grip get more in the fingers and less in the palm.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'd work on getting a bit more of a left side bend on the backswing as it won't require quite the compensation on the downswing. Look at how the shoulder pitch changes several times throughout the swing. Flat backswing, steep downswing (just talking about shoulder plane).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless of what anyone else has said about my swing on this thread, I have a question. Look at the following three pictures and the part I circled. How do I stop this?? If you compare my swing to almost any pro, they are rotating into the ball of their foot whereas I am kind of spinning and getting into my heel too quickly.

For example, here is Adam Scott:

I would post others but there is no point because they are literally all the same.

It is not the end of the world but it is a never ending source of frustration in my march to better golf. My swing coach has told me it is not something we should really worry about right now but I am kind of obsessive.

Quick notes:

This is NOT a function of my set up, I have tried various different feelings in my set up and everything is the same result

I used to be a baseball player (possible cause)

If you would like to see actual video of the swing go look at this YouTube video.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Regardless of what anyone else has said about my swing on this thread, I have a question. Look at the following three pictures and the part I circled. How do I stop this??

Are the feet turned out enough?

Mike McLoughlin

I think so?

I mean... maybe just a touch more but my feet are definitely not square.

I mean... maybe just a touch more but my feet are definitely not square.

Ok then I would check to see if you're getting enough left side bend, as @iacas pointed out. Can lead to some compensations on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Ok thanks!

• 2 months later...

So recently I have finally put 2 and 2 together and realized my left side is much stronger in the swing which causes problems.

1) divots go left, even if shot is straight. No instructor has been able to figure it out until my trainer mentioned it an suddenly everything made sense. Apparently that's okay though.

2) possible back injuries (see below)

Me at impact:

Tiger Woods at Impact:

LOOK AT THAT LEFT FOOT!! IS IT BAD???

OMG IT'S STILL FLAT!!?! WOW THAT CAN'T BE GOOD FOR MY BACK, RIGHT???

SO. Any suggestions on how to get more right side in the swing so my footwork is better thus protecting my back etc etc??

I know it's Tiger, not the best example but he was the first guy I thought of because it's Tiger.

Thanks!

post above and this post I originally made as separate threads but was told that I should probably keep everything about my swing in myswing thread so I am re posting them here, sorry for any confusion!

Hey everyone

I am curious about this loop in my swing I have, and have always had, that happens in the transition at the top.

Take a look:

Here is a different swing, same loop. Ignore the different positions and stuff, I am always fidgeting and trying to figure out what feels best.

Now. Here is Keegan Bradley with a similar loop:

But here is Adam Scott without one...

Off the top of my head I think Sergio has a bit of a loop too.

So, I don't know! Does it even matter? Someone talk to me and explain please!

One last thing!

I have used this site intermittently for the last three years but I think I am going to try to use it more consistently.

Quick few notes for anyone who looks at this:

I started playing golf three years ago

I work about one a month with Brian Mogg (see my other thread)

I am committed to playing college golf at Occidental

I am always trying to learn more about golf, which is part of why I am on here!

.. My left side is much stronger in the swing which causes problems.

1) divots go left, even if shot is straight. No instructor has been able to figure it out until my trainer mentioned it an suddenly everything made sense

2) possible back injuries (see below)

Me at impact:

2. Not a big deal, the guy that won today keeps his heel down longer than anyone on tour.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the reply @mvmac , any thoughts on the loop in the transition? What about you @iacas ?

You guys were helping me a bunch last time I was on here and then I just kinda dropped off the face of the Earth so my bad and thanks. I am going to really dedicate myself to the knowledge on this website now.

You both have commented on some of my other threads that I have copied here to keep all my swing stuff together... it feels a bit messy but oh well.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply @mvmac, any thoughts on the loop in the transition? What about you @iacas?

Tough to tell with the video being so far away but as it shallows in transition it also gets narrow, shaft gets close to you right shoulder, and then the forearms start rolling hard from about A6 thru impact. Shaft looks shallow but the rotation coming into/thru impact can kick the clubhead out and send the path left. Kinda of what Brooke Henderson does, she also keeps her right foot down for a long time.

Post a face on and a better dtl.

Mike McLoughlin

Face On shots are a bit hard for me at the moment because I just prop my phone up against a fence behind me but I just ordered one of those bag mount camera holder things so I should be able to do one from the side in a few days!! DTL I can do sooner and get it up.

Yes @mvmac you are correct I get narrow in my downswing, I have previously worked with Brian Mogg trying to fix it but it is hard when I can only see him once a month, if that. We discussed the idea of a "constant arc" because I used to be very wide in the backswing to a narrow downswing. The backswing has gotten better but the downswing not so much. I am just creating a huge amount of lag which is both a blessing and a curse.

Will try to get the video up as soon as I can! Thanks.

@mvmac was able to do some video today, see below.

While I know my swing is far from perfect, what is so frustrating to me is I feel like I should be a much better ballstriker than I am. My swing looks fairly solid, feels good and I rarely hit more than 10 greens in regulation which is reallllly frustrating at times.

Let me know your thoughts.

FO, sorry the clubhead gets lost a bit on the takeaway. Only had so much room the work with on the range.

DTL, I know it looks like this one won't work, but it will:

I'd work on getting a bit more of a left side bend on the backswing as it won't require quite the compensation on the downswing. Look at how the shoulder pitch changes several times throughout the swing. Flat backswing, steep downswing (just talking about shoulder plane).

@iacas You posted this awhile ago and I kinda forgot about it... could you explain again to me how to feel more side bend and/or any drills that might help with that? Obviously my swing has changed a little since then (see above) but I think it is still applicable

• Administrator
@iacas You posted this awhile ago and I kinda forgot about it... could you explain again to me how to feel more side bend and/or any drills that might help with that? Obviously my swing has changed a little since then (see above) but I think it is still applicable

Take a club. Hold it across your shoulders. Stand in your address position. Turn and point the clubhead or grip down toward the ground more - make your shoulder turn steeper.

You have some other work to do too:

I would address the backswing stuff first: shoulders steeper and TURN more. Then I'd worry about cleaning up the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!