IGNORED

E5 /e6 vs dt solo

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to be putting some e6's back in play tomorrow and taking out some nike vapors that seem to be enhancing my slice with driver and fe

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I stand corrected I was playing the e5's. I played very well today with a lot of wind here on long island.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I have played all three and greatly favour the E5.  Off driver and Irons it behaves, even in the wind and feels like magic on the wedges and putter - for me.  I found the DT Solo and E6 to be slightly longer but also found them to be quite unpredictable when the green was close by.

YMMV.

as for bridgestone playing like rocks i can only say this. the e6 in my shag bag is the softest feeling ball in there and it has a nice orange color too. The rest of the bridgestone offerings are mostly high compression which I like but many do not.

Both are good balls.  I played Titleist years ago (back in the days of the DT Carry) and tried the DT Solo when they first came out but I personally feel that Bridgestone offers a superior product (probably why Bridgestone has been chipping away at Titleist's marketshare for years now).

I play the E5 currently and its like butter, not to mention it spins almost like a tour ball.  Im not aware of any Titleist product that doesnt say Pro V1 on it that spins like an E5.

Im actually not a big fan of the E6.  I dont struggle with sidespin, so for me the anti-spin aspect of it detracts from my game because I find it difficult to stop them on approach shots.  For someone who struggles with a hook or slice, Id highly recommend the E6 though.  You will hit straighter shots with it, just plan for about 20 feet of rollout when you calculate the distance on your approach shots.

Am I a Titleist hater?  Maybe.  I just find that once you get past the marketing hype, Titleist doesnt have anything that really makes them stand out from the crowd.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Thanks but am having issues finding the e6 here, as soon as i do will try it out, bought a sleeve of wilson staff dx2 soft distance and like them a lot

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

I love my e5s. They have good distance off the cub and I can get them to stop on a dime from 150 and in. Maybe this year I'll be able to get enough spin off my 6-4 irons.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• 3 months later...
Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I love my e5s. They have good distance off the cub and I can get them to stop on a dime from 150 and in. Maybe this year I'll be able to get enough spin off my 6-4 irons.

I've never played Bridgestone before. I won a box of e5's today at a golf tournament. Can't wait to get back on the course to try them out.

I play DT Solos and won two boxes of Bridgestone E6's at a tournament.

If I had to boil down the differences to one sentence: The E6 is longer off the tee but the DT SoLo rolls and plays better around the green.

The E6's were awesome but for $7 less I'll stick with my DT Solos.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Both are good balls.  I played Titleist years ago (back in the days of the DT Carry) and tried the DT Solo when they first came out but I personally feel that Bridgestone offers a superior product (probably why Bridgestone has been chipping away at Titleist's marketshare for years now).

I play the E5 currently and its like butter, not to mention it spins almost like a tour ball.  Im not aware of any Titleist product that doesnt say Pro V1 on it that spins like an E5.

Im actually not a big fan of the E6.  I dont struggle with sidespin, so for me the anti-spin aspect of it detracts from my game because I find it difficult to stop them on approach shots.  For someone who struggles with a hook or slice, Id highly recommend the E6 though.  You will hit straighter shots with it, just plan for about 20 feet of rollout when you calculate the distance on your approach shots.

Am I a Titleist hater?  Maybe.  I just find that once you get past the marketing hype, Titleist doesnt have anything that really makes them stand out from the crowd.

So you must really hate Bridgestone's Freddy Couples campaign where he cools around hitting golfballs into cup holders and skidding cars to make hole-in-ones.

The e6 and SoLo are both good.  The e6 seems a bit pricey though.  I've found that the Wilson Staff Fifty is pretty close to the e6 and SoLo but is only a buck per ball.

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen any posts mentioning swing speed, yet that seems to be a pretty fundamental - perhaps the major - criterion in choice of ball, as it is in choice of shaft flex, for similar reasons. Basically, the fastest swings do best with the hardest balls; the slower the swing, the softer the ball should be. This is based on the amount of power it takes to compress the ball optimally, since DEcompression adds to ball speed off the club, resulting in distance. No compression, no decompression - just plain physics. BTW, another factor's temperature, which also affects compression/resiliency: the colder the day, the softer the ball should be.

I'm 73, and my HCP's up to 17; I was never great, but not so many years ago I was still playing 12-14. But now, I don't have anywhere near the swing speed I used to have. I used to play Titleist V1's (the V1x was always too hard) or similar (and used R steel shafts). A few years ago, when my game was deteriorating, a pro suggested Senior graphite shafts and softer balls. First, I switched shafts, with pleasing results. Then, with those shafts, I compared the V1's to the softer balls, and the latter felt and were markedly better - incidentally, control (I've been battling a slice since I was a pup, but usually have it pretty much under control, until I get tired and lose concentration) is usually better, too. Now, I like Bridgestone's B330-RX and RXS best. But their e6, and the DT Solo, aren't far behind, and are a lot cheaper. And, BTW, good ladies's balls are pretty good, too. The brands differ, IMO, primarily with regard to hook/slice control, and stopping, on approach shots, and my experience is that Bridgestone's best for me.

Altogether, my opinion is that most of us who aren't single-handicappers - and that's probably most of us - can't use balls like the V1x effectively, any more than we can use stiff shafts, and probably would do best with balls even softer than the V1.

• 2 weeks later...
i play the yellow dt solos and love them. just so much easier for me to find on the course. super bright. i also use callaway warbirds from time to time. but mostly the dt solos and i find my drives are going a little straighter with the solos. i've been told the srizon q stars are good ones to try if you want a softer ball as well.

Not sure what you are thinking saying that Bridgestone balls are bad.  Their 330 series balls are some of the best balls available out there and compete with the ProV's, including the RX and the RXS for slower swingers to the E series that target higher handicap golfers.  In fact the most golfers would benefit from the E series balls - just read any of a thousand articles and ball comparisons that rave about the balls, including Digest, etc.  The E6 is also a great ball for use in colder weather too as it's one of softest balls out there and it flies dead straight with minimal side spin, while the E7 is targeted towards better golfers who want more distrance (it really takes off!).  If you're lucky to break 100 then the E6 would be a great choice because of its low compression and reduced side spin, you might even put it in the fairway.

I haven't seen any posts mentioning swing speed, yet that seems to be a pretty fundamental - perhaps the major - criterion in choice of ball, as it is in choice of shaft flex, for similar reasons. Basically, the fastest swings do best with the hardest balls; the slower the swing, the softer the ball should be. This is based on the amount of power it takes to compress the ball optimally, since DEcompression adds to ball speed off the club, resulting in distance. No compression, no decompression - just plain physics. BTW, another factor's temperature, which also affects compression/resiliency: the colder the day, the softer the ball should be.

I'm 73, and my HCP's up to 17; I was never great, but not so many years ago I was still playing 12-14. But now, I don't have anywhere near the swing speed I used to have. I used to play Titleist V1's (the V1x was always too hard) or similar (and used R steel shafts). A few years ago, when my game was deteriorating, a pro suggested Senior graphite shafts and softer balls. First, I switched shafts, with pleasing results. Then, with those shafts, I compared the V1's to the softer balls, and the latter felt and were markedly better - incidentally, control (I've been battling a slice since I was a pup, but usually have it pretty much under control, until I get tired and lose concentration) is usually better, too. Now, I like Bridgestone's B330-RX and RXS best. But their e6, and the DT Solo, aren't far behind, and are a lot cheaper. And, BTW, good ladies's balls are pretty good, too. The brands differ, IMO, primarily with regard to hook/slice control, and stopping, on approach shots, and my experience is that Bridgestone's best for me.

Altogether, my opinion is that most of us who aren't single-handicappers - and that's probably most of us - can't use balls like the V1x effectively, any more than we can use stiff shafts, and probably would do best with balls even softer than the V1.

Pick up a ProV1 and it's soft. Pick up a Srixon Distance and it'll be as hard as a rock. "Distance" balls in general are markedly harder than "control" balls are.

I'd also do a little research into shaft stiffness before blanket comments like "probably most of us can't use stiff shafts" which is just laughable as shaft stiffness is based on many different factors and not just your opinion. ;)

In terms of balls I played Srixon AD333 for ages and really liked them but decided to try the Bridgestone e6. I found it really "clicky" off the putter face and often it would skitter a distance first before 'biting' on the green and rolling which meant very inconsistent distance with my putts. I tried Titleist DT Solo and got on OK with them but they were nothing to write home about; just an average ball. I then tried Titleist NXT Tour and absolutely loved them. They ended up being my "go to" ball for a long long time.

Nowadays I generally play reconditioned Titleist Pro V1's as I rarely play in serious games and they're far less costly when lost than brand new NXT Tours. ;)

I also have a sleeve of Bridgestone Tour B330-RX's to try out next spring.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!