IGNORED

Scotty Cameron For a Beginner Golfer

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new to the game but I'm improving every day. My current putter is a piece of garbage, and I can get a Cameron Studio Design 1 for around 200.00.

I was wondering what everybody thinks about being a pretty awful player at the moment getting such a nice putter. will it work for me, and I'll be able to grow into it and have it for a long time, or would it be wizer (is that a word haha) to get a cheaper putter that will help me lower my handicap.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

I think you should putt with one before you buy it. For that matter, putt with as many styles as you can to see which one feels right to you. I went through a few putters before I settled in on the one in my bag. You should also look at a good face balanced putter like an Odyssey 2 ball or Marksman or other brand. Then again the Scotty may be the putter you were made for. I just think you should spend some time on the practice green with some before you jump into any putter. On the other hand, as long as it's in very good condition and you keep a headcover on it the Scotty should always be worth close to what you would have in it.

So did I answer anything you asked?

Cheers!

To be honest, I really don't feel right standing over a putter that doesn't have a classic look. The 2 ball, 3 ball putters, as well as the Scotty Cameron Futura, Detour, and any other big, funny looking putter for that matter really just distracts me.

I have actually tried this putter out, and not only does the look give me some comfort, but I really felt a difference in the ease of holing putts.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW

I am a 24 handicap and use a scotty circa series. Honelty it has helped me get my putting average to less than 2. I tried a few out before and would recomend it. Gotta love the scotty.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

If you like it, treat yourself as a... Celebration to starting the game. Im sure when you get it, youll have major confidence thus, draining more putts. Good luck!
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

somebody may shoot me but why does it have to be a scotty. So many choices. I have an anser 2 that i love to death but hit a odyssey xg 9 and fell in love with it. I just keep leaving putts a little short but I'm gonna fix it. Get an anser off ebay for like 30$ and you will be set. The anser is one of the must used putters around and has so many tour victories it isnt even funny.

Hit the golf shop and try out as many putters as possible. Pick the one that gives you the most confidence standing over the ball, and gets the ball in the hole. Doesn't matter whether it's Scotty Cameron or a $10 piece of junk. As long as the ball gets in the hole.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I waited 10 years before I treated myself to such a expensive putter. I would definatly get some sort of GI blade before I got a scotty. Try a Yes! or one of my favorites the new Cleveland putter. The new Cleveland putter is awesome, it is a traditional blade yet has alignment aids and is 110 bucks new. I almost bought one as a backup to my scotty!

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I waited 10 years before I treated myself to such a expensive putter

I'm still waiting

Listen to the posts, Scotty is great but it doesn't have to be a Cameron. There are so many good choices out there. But, heck, if you've got the cash and want a Scotty you won't be disappointed with the quality. As far as what one, who knows, you'll have to go and try them and pick one that fits your eye and putting stroke.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

if you have the money to spend, the go do it. However, it's really a feel game and I don't care if it's gold plated, it doesn't mean it works for your swing. I would get the putter that feels best for your game. I have an old Anser and putt lights out with it. Most of all, take the time to get properly fit. Don't just get a 35 inch Cameron if a 32 incher works better for your swing. If you are going to spend $200, then spend the extra few dollars and have the lie and loft checked as well. Make sure it works for you. Also, if you are going through swing changes, then you will want to make sure you don't spend a bunch on something you will have to change.

Unlike drivers, the technology doesn't change much to affect your game all that much. I've had people tell me they can't figure out why I spend so much on a new driver, but don't have an expensive putter. Then they realize that I putt better than they do and it makes some sense.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

If you can afford it, go for it. Your situation is different from P3R3's, in that it's not costing you the earth, and you're happy to set aside the money for that particular item. No point in getting a Yes! or Cleveland just because someone else waited ten years.

Enjoy your Cameron.

andy.

I say go for it. You are more likely to hold on to a putter for a long time than almost any other club. Just make sure you test out tons of them before making a commitment.

To be honest, I really don't feel right standing over a putter that doesn't have a classic look. The 2 ball, 3 ball putters, as well as the Scotty Cameron Futura, Detour, and any other big, funny looking putter for that matter really just distracts me.

What you said is all that you need to know.....

The putter could be an old piece of crap putter but if it helps you sink putts, who cares if it works for you. Golf is all about confidence especially in the short-game.

So I've narrowed it down the either the Studio Design 1 or the Circa 62 2. Just got to wait and see what I can get a better deal on.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW

How many puts do you take per round? Do you hit the sweetspot consistently?

If you are taking a lot of putts (over 30-32 avg.) or have a number of missed sweetspots, try a heel toe weighted putter. If you want a Cameron, test a Newport.

Why do you want one? Have you ever played a round with any of the putters you are thinking about?

I would never buy a putter I hadn't played with for at least 9 holes or more.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I'm sure some people will disagree with this, but in my opinion, putting is a completely different part of the game than full swing, pitch, and even chip shots. That being said, while there are some best methods out there, it is widely acknowledged that if a putting stroke works and it isn't "fundamentally sound" it still works. Also, it's more understood that if you find a putter that feels good, and you roll the ball really well, it doesn't matter if it's a mallet, a blade, anser, belly putter, etc. So if you've found what you honestly believe is... "The One"

BUY IT AND KEEP IT AS LONG AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

I used to play with an anser style putter a long time ago, it was an older Odessey model with a black insert. My putting started to slip and I ditched it for a mallet. That mallet didn't work so I went to a Futura, that didn't work so I finally removed my head from my hindquarters, and went back to an anser style putter. My putting has improved DRAMATICALLY.

The only person who knows if this putter is the right one is you. The only words of advice I have is to never ever sell a putter. Even if you buy a new one, even if you end up with a room full of them, keep the old ones because you never know when you'll wanna go back on lean the, "The One"

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

How many puts do you take per round? Do you hit the sweetspot consistently?

Currently I am using my Grandmother's 30" old Spalding putter. I want a new one because I have lots of money from working this summer. I love the shape of the heel shafted putters, and feel a lot more confident standing over one. I guess if you have confidence while putting, you will sink more putts. I tried the Camerons in the store and loved them, but didn't love the price tag, but I can get a better deal elsewhere. How would I go about playing 9 holes with this putter.

Also, my name is Cameron, so it would be kind of neat to have my name in big letters on the back of my putter hahah.
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!