IGNORED

Original ball, provision ball... R&A Rule 27-2c?

Dabzy
Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's my dilemma, a few times I've drove a ball off the tee box (Or hit from the fairway/rough, but will use the tee shot as an example), and was unsure where it landed further up the hole, so, I've then played a provisional ball (Or, on the odd occasion have walked back to the teebox/fairway/rough to rehit another ball after the original one had been lost)

Now, I've been told by some that if I look for my original ball, and cannot find it, then call "I'll play my provisional", then afterwards, someone stumbles upon it before I take the next shot, I have to abandon the original ball, take the penalty and carry on (So, the provisional is now the ball in play) because I've called it

But then, I've been told from others that if I say "I'll play my provisional", and someone finds it before I take the next shot, well, my ball isnt lost any more, and thus, have to abandon my provisional and play my original ball as I find it (No penalty)

Whats the actual procedure for such a setup?

Thanks in advance :)

Dabz

*Damn... Spelling mistake in the title... D'oh!!! :D

Originally Posted by Dabzy

Here's my dilemma, a few times I've drove a ball off the tee box (Or hit from the fairway/rough, but will use the tee shot as an example), and was unsure where it landed further up the hole, so, I've then played a provisional ball (Or, on the odd occasion have walked back to the teebox/fairway/rough to rehit another ball after the original one had been lost)

Now, I've been told by some that if I look for my original ball, and cannot find it, then call "I'll play my provisional", then afterwards, someone stumbles upon it before I take the next shot, I have to abandon the original ball, take the penalty and carry on (So, the provisional is now the ball in play) because I've called it

But then, I've been told from others that if I say "I'll play my provisional", and someone finds it before I take the next shot, well, my ball isnt lost any more, and thus, have to abandon my provisional and play my original ball as I find it (No penalty)

Whats the actual procedure for such a setup?

Thanks in advance :)

Dabz

*Damn... Spelling mistake in the title... D'oh!!! :D

The provisional ball only becomes the ball in play if one of the following occurs:

1)  The allowed 5 minute search expires

2)  You play a stroke with the provisional ball from a point at or closer to the hole than the spot where the original ball is thought to be.

A simple statement of intent is not sufficient to make it the ball in play.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you fourputt, really appreciate you answering that for me, its been doing my noggin in for a few weeks now as I simply had no clue what the hell to do in the situation! ;)

Your a good'un! ;)

Dabz

Originally Posted by Dabzy

Thank you fourputt, really appreciate you answering that for me, its been doing my noggin in for a few weeks now as I simply had no clue what the hell to do in the situation! ;)

Your a good'un! ;)

Dabz

There is actually a third condition, but I was answering your specific question about a lost ball.  If your original ball is found out of bounds, that would also put the provisional ball into play.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Yeah, I've never argued against that one, once it's gone beyond the white markers... Its game over for that little fella! :)

Dabz

Hi Dabzy,

Just make sure you announce your intention of playing a provisional ball off the tee. If you forget, the ball played becomes the ball in play.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Johanna

Hi Dabzy,

Just make sure you announce your intention of playing a provisional ball off the tee. If you forget, the ball played becomes the ball in play.

I have never been one to want to have to call a penalty on someone.  I don't know how many times I have seen someone reach in their pocket or get another ball out of their bag and not say a word.  When that happens, I will always ask them "Are you going to play a provisional ball?"  If they say yes, I tell them to announce it.

• Upvote 2

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by RickK

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanna

Hi Dabzy,

I have never been one to want to have to call a penalty on someone.  I don't know how many times I have seen someone reach in their pocket or get another ball out of their bag and not say a word.  When that happens, I will always ask them "Are you going to play a provisional ball?"  If they say yes, I tell them to announce it.

This would be me too.  I don't let them make the stroke, then ask.

Rick

Hi Dabzy and Fourputt,

That's the way to play golf! In fact we tell starters to either ask if it is a Provisional Ball or advise players to play a P.B. if the tee shot goes wayward.

Referees will do the same.

Regards, Johanna

Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!