Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iacas

Coin - For Credit Cards

8 posts in this topic

https://onlycoin.com

Interesting. What I think is most amazing is this:

Q. How long does a Coin last? Do I recharge it? What happens when my Coin’s battery dies?

A. Coins are designed to last for 2 years under normal usage and do not need to be recharged. Once the battery dies you will need to replace your Coin.

Q. How do you figure that a Coin will last 2 years? What constitutes normal usage?

A. Here’s how we modeled typical usage. On a daily basis, we assume you’ll toggle which card you want to use and swipe your Coin 10-20 times a day. In addition, you may adjust which cards you want to store on your Coin a few times a week. Initially when you’re getting to know your Coin you will likely be syncing often. Over time we find that most people sync much less frequently once his or her cards are on a Coin. If you swipe and sync more frequently on a consistent basis, your Coin’s battery will drain more quickly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Pretty slick. My only initial thought is that I'd be a little concerned about the ease of toggling through different cards if you let it out of your control, as in letting a restaurant server take it to run the bill. The built in 2-year replacement requirement may be a problem too....

My only initial thought is that I'd be a little concerned about the ease of toggling through different cards if you let it out of your control, as in letting a restaurant server take it to run the bill. The built in 2-year replacement requirement may be a problem too....

Two years is a pretty long time.

Their FAQ addresses the chances of someone changing the card. I thought that too - it looks like you just press the button and it changes them. But it's apparently a bit more than that.

I'd take a flyer on this for $25, maybe even a bit more, but for $55 and my 4 credit cards (only one of which sees any real use, and most of that is online), I'll pass.

But I still think the battery and BTLE tech in this thing is incredible.

I travel a pretty good bit and try to carry the smallest wallet I can, so I'm actually considering one. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I travel a pretty good bit and try to carry the smallest wallet I can, so I'm actually considering one. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Is it worth $100 (or $50 preorder)?

That'll be up to individuals, but I think they're still on pre-order, so I don't know if anyone's actually used one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukari

That'll be up to individuals, but I think they're still on pre-order, so I don't know if anyone's actually used one.

Yeah, still $55 on pre-order. I have 4 debits cards and three credit cards, not to mention random gift cards that come and go. It might be worth it at that price point. But probably not at $100.

Not sure I like the security.  When I get rolled in Campinas, Brazil when I'm on business, what prevents the thief from using any of my cards?