• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
owens251109

putting tips for mallet putter.

13 posts in this topic

morning. I have been using the odysey white ice 2ball putter for about 2 years now. i like it alot! but for whatver reason i feel that like on my short (3 footers or in) putts i dont have control of my line, could it be cause the putter head is too heavy? or is it bad mechanics? ? thanks

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Do you feel you control the line on mid-range putts? Are you trying for an arc or sbst stroke?

Do you feel you control the line on mid-range putts? Are you trying for an arc or sbst stroke?

yes i do feel that i control the line well for the most part. my putting style is SBST i have never really felt tride the arc putt.

But the more i read about it the more i think i will try it for my longer putts to mid range. thanks for opening my eyes to other options that will help my game.

Just a guess: I sometimes don't make a stroke on short putts and instead control the putter with a hands stroke. No shoulder turn but just sort of push the putter down the line. This does not work well for long. To put a good roll on the ball from short distances, I need to make the same big muscle stroke I try to make on longer putts. Like I say, just a guess.

Try this.... feel the ur shoulders rotate.... not tilt.. .feel the right shoulder rotating back. Works for me and keep head down

for me, I find a spot of some sort ahead of the ball, in-line with the intended path.  If my putter face goes thru my mark, chances are the ball is going down the path I have decided on.  But I do that with all length putts.

So far all replies agree that it is not the club. It is most likely the stroke.

Personally, I always found it harder to putt with a mallet on short putts because theres less feel.  I always had the tendency to hit the putt too hard and either knock it through the break or 10 feet past the hole.

That doesnt make any sense.-If you have putters made of the same materials-And with the same weighting-Youll get the same feel at the end When you hit it. Its all in your head or you didnt use putters with the same specs other than head shape.[quote name="GaijinGolfer" url="/t/71794/putting-tips-for-mallet-putter#post_936515"]Personally, I always found it harder to putt with a mallet on short putts because theres less feel.  I always had the tendency to hit the putt too hard and either knock it through the break or 10 feet past the hole. [/quote]

Awards and Achievements

That doesnt make any sense.-If you have putters made of the same materials-And with the same weighting-Youll get the same feel at the end When you hit it. Its all in your head or you didnt use putters with the same specs other than head shape.

There's some variation in resonance and feel from different head shapes, but it's pretty minor. The location of the CG can affect how you feel the rotation of the face closing, too (but so can hosel offset, and again, it's also pretty minor).

People should choose putters that fit how they aim. So my tips for putting with a mallet are "stop putting with a mallet if you can't aim a mallet." :)

Awards and Achievements

i have thought about that :) I feel that if i did switch putters it would lower my score alot more cause im pretty consistent with GIR, but my putting kills me. can i go somewhere and get fitted? or is it more of a trial and error thing? thanks

i have thought about that :) I feel that if i did switch putters it would lower my score alot more cause im pretty consistent with GIR, but my putting kills me.

can i go somewhere and get fitted? or is it more of a trial and error thing?

Worth reading the various Edel threads, like this one . There are some others.

Awards and Achievements