IGNORED

Thigh pain

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played Monday and in an attempt to keep my ball in the fairway Off the tee for once this season I opened my driver club face a little and used an open stance to play my "fade" and it worked. In the fairway all day and had my best score of the year. My shots generally though were too high and looping and I lost a lot of distance. If I have to play that shot in the wind I'm done. Needless to say I don't have a good handle on my driver yet. I am playing with a minimalist 8 club bag which I love but I have been limping around all week ever since this last round. The muscles on my right leg are all jacked up. (swinging lefty) Thigh and groin. Very painful at times. My big event is coming up in a few weeks and it hasn't eased up at all this week. Didn't stop me from hitting some balls at the range this morning though and discovered I can hit a 4 wood pretty long and straight with a square alignment and little pain. Im thinking of ditching the driver for now and use the 4 wood off the tee and have another option off the deck. Any advice on that please share. But I was wondering if anyone else hurt their thigh/groin muscles changing their setup to hit a draw or fade? And how long did it take to recover?
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Well here is one explanation Repetitive Strain Injury/golf hip injury Expert: Julie Donnelly, LMT - 1/2/2009 Question I am right handed. After playing several rounds of golf my right hip began to hurt and front right thigh pain as well. It now only hurts in the front of the thigh after two days rest, but is aggravated when rising to a standing position. Walking seems Ok. A paractice golf swing brings a little pain when my weight is transferred from tye right foot to the left on the follow through.  What's happening. Answer Hi Tom, The odds are your right iliopsoas (more on that in a minute) is contracted and when you go to take your swing you are over-stretching it. The iliopsoas is a muscle that originates on the front side of your lumbar vertebrae and goes along the inside of your pelvis, inserting into your inner thigh bone just below your pubic bone.  When it is shortened by repetitive movement (sitting/walking/climbing stairs is a repetitive movement for this muscle) it will pull your pelvis out of alignment and distort your entire hip joint, and by referral also cause knee pain.  When the iliopsoas is tight it will also cause your quadriceps to go into a spasm, which makes your hip (and low back) worse, etc., etc. It keeps going back and forth, one muscle making the other tighter. You can read a much better explanation about this muscle and how it causes hip/low back/knee pain by going to http://www.julstro.com and reading about repetitive strain injuries, and then the two sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly." Also, while you are on the website, take a look at the forum and find threads about hip, thigh, and knee pain. You'll get enough information to understand what is happening to you.   The good news is it is easy to self-treat the muscles, you'll understand when you read the website. You'll be able to treat the quadriceps first, and that will help to release the tension the iliopsoas is placing on your hip. Wishing you well,    Julie Donnelly
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

• 2 weeks later...

two weeks later i am still having issues. i have been strecthing the iliopsoas like suggested above and doing deep tissue massage/trigger point therapy on my quads but i still feel pain in the joint area itself. the worst area is around the trochanteric bursa. some days after repetitive movement like going up and down ladders to paint i have a hard time walking. ice over the bursa and a tens unit knocks my pain level down. i was limping some yesterday when playing. i switched out my driver for a 4 wood lefthanded. going to try my rh ladies club tomorrow. havent had a golf related injury last this long....except for my bruised thumb. :)

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Note: This thread is 3125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!