IGNORED

Ping G30s, do you like them?

Smidd4
Note: This thread is 3041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

44 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

Will let you know after Xmas, I just got fitted for the G30 iron set and waiting for them to get here.  Only downside, my wife's only stipulation was I had to wait to Xmas to open them so the next few weeks are going to be brutal (she doesn't even trust me to go pick them up when they get here, can't blame her for that though...haha).

I believe that could be considered torture in some parts of the world. That's a solid present that will no doubt be worth the wait. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

59 minutes ago, Smidd4 said:

I believe that could be considered torture in some parts of the world. 

HAHAHA...so true!

I tried out a few clubs and it came down to either the G30s, Mizuno JPX 850s, or Titleist AP1's.  Practically speaking, any of the 3 sets were way more then I needed for my current level of play but heck there's nothing wrong with indulging yourself every now and again. 

For whatever reason, the Mizuno's just didn't agree with my swing.  The G30's and the AP1's were comparable results wise for me, but the G30's were slightly less expensive.  Also, I had purchased the G25 hybrids earlier in the season and REALLY REALLY loved playing with them so that ultimately helped tilt the decision toward the PING irons.  

In the last four years I've purchased at least ten different sets of irons, different brands and models.

By far the brand that has worked best for me has been Ping, models G25, i20 and i25. (I have not tried G30 but they should be just as good as the others)

Close second: Titleist AP1.

I'd tested a few different GI-type irons, including the G30. Very solid and gave me consistent hits but, for me, not my fav in terms of feel off the face. 

FYI, tho, also tested out a few hybrids and the G30 were at the top of the list here in terms of forgiveness + distance. Based on that, am considering a G30 driver.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2015 at 0:59 PM, GangGreen said:

Will let you know after Xmas, I just got fitted for the G30 iron set and waiting for them to get here.  Only downside, my wife's only stipulation was I had to wait to Xmas to open them so the next few weeks are going to be brutal (she doesn't even trust me to go pick them up when they get here, can't blame her for that though...haha).

Just to close the loop, got the G30's on Xmas and it was warm enough to get a round in the next day.  Have to say I really really loved them on the course.  Took a little getting used to the big club face but was very happy with the performance, especially considering the course conditions were less than ideal (very soggy).  Side note, I always get beat up on this particular course, so it probably helped my overall impressions of these clubs that I shot 7 stokes better than I did my last time out here. 

Also got in a range session with them over the weekend.  Ball flight was a tad lower then I had with my prior set but nothing material and could be due to the cooler weather.  Yardage wise, it seemed like I gained about 5 or so yards on my W through 7i although I struggled a little with the 6i and 5i but I fault the golfer not the club.  I'm guessing it will take me a couple more range sessions to get those dialed in.  Overall, looking forward to having these in the bag next season!!! 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!