or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron or 3 hybrid? Advantages or disadvantages. How does it perform in the rough compared to a hybrid?

Thanks
post #2 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I've played with a 7 wood for a year or two.

It's a nice club, it's good when the ball is sitting up in the rough but not if it's sitting down.

It's longer than a 3i or a 3h.
nice club.
post #3 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Yep I play a 3 Hybrid instead of a 3 iron, 3 iron form my set is 21° so the Baffler at 20° replaces it almost perfectly.
3 Hybrid is my go to club for long Par3's where I would use a 3 iron, however the hybrid is easier to hit and can also be used as a rescue out of rough etc, I would not want to hit 3i out of the rough
post #4 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I carried a 7wood for years. My Fybrid is pretty closed to a 7wood. It is a rather wood like hybrid. I don't hit it quite as high or far, but close, and it is much easier to knock down. It is easier to hit out of the rough, if I misfire on a par five it makes a great recovery club and I tee off with it on short par 4s. You might want to consider one of the trouble woods, Taylor made Raylor or Cobra baffler in the correct loft instead of a true 7wood, you can use them more often.
post #5 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I carry both. I prefer my 7 wood off the deck when I am at 200-215 yds out, out of the rough when I need extra distance and occasionally on a long par 3 when I need to land it softly. I use my 3 iron for 200 yard par 3s, when I'm 200 yards out on any hole in the fairway, for punch shots when I get into trouble, and occasionally off the tee on a short par 4 that requires a lay up to negotiate a hazard.

I would really like to dump my 3 iron and possibly go back to an extra wedge but I just can't see that happening. I feel my 3 iron is a little more accurate than my 7 iron, and I have more confidence in seeking out the pin on long par 3s with it.
post #6 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

i play an 14 old Taylormade 21* raylor (7 wood). I can use that thing to do whatever i want. Hit it low, high, straight, draw, fade. Funny story about that club: My clubs were stolen out of my car many years ago and insurance covered them. I couldnt find a replacement for that club and went to "Play it Again Sports" used sporting goods store. I looked in the bin of clubs, and there was my club in there. Even had my personal info on the shaft band. Talked to them about them buying stolen property. In the end, I had to buy it from them. Worth every penny.
post #7 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I play the 19.5* Wilson Fybrid, which depending on the day, replaces a 5-wood, 7-wood, 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid and 3 iron. Obviously I stretch its intended utility a bit, but it's a great club--very versatile.
post #8 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by mcotter View Post
i play an 14 old Taylormade 21* raylor (7 wood). I can use that thing to do whatever i want. Hit it low, high, straight, draw, fade. Funny story about that club: My clubs were stolen out of my car many years ago and insurance covered them. I couldnt find a replacement for that club and went to "Play it Again Sports" used sporting goods store. I looked in the bin of clubs, and there was my club in there. Even had my personal info on the shaft band. Talked to them about them buying stolen property. In the end, I had to buy it from them. Worth every penny.
Did you have insurance that covered it? Then I wouldn't have complained, otherwise I would have made a call or sent a not to the local law enforcement office.
post #9 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I still dont understand the reason for a 7 wood
Where exactly does it fit i a set in terms of distance gaps?
post #10 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
I still dont understand the reason for a 7 wood
Where exactly does it fit i a set in terms of distance gaps?
driver, 3 wood, 5 wood , 7 wood , 9 wood (yes there is a 9 wood) 4i, 5i ect

7 wood is the next club up from a 9 wood/ 3i
post #11 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I used to hit a 7 wood. For quite a few years my 7-wood was my favorite club. I took it out of my bag when I started buying hybrids. The hybrids are better out of the rough and since they have a shorter shaft I tend to hit them more consistently. I have a 25*, 22*, and 19* hybrid in my bag and my 7-wood overlapped with the 22*. I took the 3 and 4 iron out of my bag years ago. Just bought a new set of G15's (they arrived today) and I didn't even bother to buy the 3 or 4 iron.
post #12 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

lol thats not really how i'd wnt to gap distances
just learn to hit a 3H, if you play from whites you really dont have to hit it that far to put up a decent score, just play it safe into your areas.
Like if you're 250 out and a better wedge player, i'd rather hit into my wedge area than go for the green and be in trouble cause i'm not confident with a club
post #13 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
I play the 19.5* Wilson Fybrid, which depending on the day, replaces a 5-wood, 7-wood, 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid and 3 iron. Obviously I stretch its intended utility a bit, but it's a great club--very versatile.
Mine replaced a 5-wood and 2-iron. I'm still not 100% convinced the stock shaft is right for me, but that's an easy fix. Buying that club renewed my interest in going for par-5s in 2 and it's money off the tee as well.


PS. I realize it's not in my signature, but it's my old spare set in the sig line.
post #14 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post
Mine replaced a 5-wood and 2-iron. I'm still not 100% convinced the stock shaft is right for me, but that's an easy fix. Buying that club renewed my interest in going for par-5s in 2 and it's money off the tee as well.


PS. I realize it's not in my signature, but it's my old spare set in the sig line.
Gotcha--do you find the V2 too stiff, too flexible? I had a set of Fybrids in the stiff V2, and I found the shaft a bit too stiff and boardy for my swing, so I am trading them in for reg flex shafts. I just received my "new" set of used Fybrids from globalgolf with reg flex V2 shafts today, so I am excited to try them out. Gotta love how cheap they are--totally not indicative of how good they are though.
post #15 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
Gotcha--do you find the V2 too stiff, too flexible? I had a set of Fybrids in the stiff V2, and I found the shaft a bit too stiff and boardy for my swing, so I am trading them in for reg flex shafts. I just received my "new" set of used Fybrids from globalgolf with reg flex V2 shafts today, so I am excited to try them out. Gotta love how cheap they are--totally not indicative of how good they are though.
I'm also a big fan of the FYbrid. I have the 19.5*, and it takes the place of any club from around 17*-22*, and somedays I leave the 3 wood or 16* hybrid in the car and it takes the place of that too. I was married to my Heavenwood 20* Hybrid for about a year, and it's still a great club, but the firm shaft in the Heavenwood is a little too weak for full swings. The V2 in the FYbrid plays like a cross between stiff and Xstiff, which works great for me. In fact, it's so easy to choke down on the Fybrid and take controlled 1/2 or 2/3 swings that it's effective all the way down to around 175 yds. If need be I could go Driver, Fybrid, 7 iron...
post #16 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
I still dont understand the reason for a 7 wood
Where exactly does it fit i a set in terms of distance gaps?
Most 5W's are ~18-19*, and 7W's are 21-22*. A 3H is usually also 21*-ish from most manufacturers. However, they won't necessarily fly the same distance when well struck, as in general a 7W will still have a larger head and longer shaft than a 3H, so from a good lie or off the tee the 7W probably would be longer. However as others have said, the 7W's bigger head isn't as versatile, ie. from the rough, and you'd probably have a much harder time chipping with it. Also, the 3H's relatively shorter shaft will be easier to control from some folks.

As to what is best for you, it all comes down to your own preferences and swing; some folks (like me) don't hit fairway woods well--i find hybrids much easier to hit. Some hate hybrids and prefer FW's. Some like long irons still....although i don't see many folks' signatures listing 2i's any more!
post #17 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

I think it depends on when they were made. I have 2 5woods circa early 90's and the are 20 and 21 degrees. They were both cheapo clubs (dunlop and First Flight) but they work really well for me.
post #18 of 24

Re: Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?

Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
Gotcha--do you find the V2 too stiff, too flexible? I had a set of Fybrids in the stiff V2, and I found the shaft a bit too stiff and boardy for my swing, so I am trading them in for reg flex shafts. I just received my "new" set of used Fybrids from globalgolf with reg flex V2 shafts today, so I am excited to try them out. Gotta love how cheap they are--totally not indicative of how good they are though.
They didn't have any in stiff, so I got the R - it's a bit stiffer than some other R shafted clubs I've hit, but I have to swing reeeeeally smooth. I can't use it out of the rough too well.

I picked up a Nickent 2-h with a V2 stiff shaft - I might swap them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Anyone use a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron?