or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Hitting on the toe of the club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hitting on the toe of the club

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, I want to see if you can help me with what is my common miss-hit when I'm playing and it's hitting on the toe of the club. It is not that common maybe 3 - 4 times per round, but it really cost me a lot, sometime I loose 1 or 2 shots because if this miss-hits.

I read that this miss-hit is caused becuase you're coming over the top, but when I miss-hit the ball it starts to the right and then come back, or sometimes starts straight and hooks.
I've heard that a correction to this mistake is to adrees the ball near the hosel, I've tried it, but it's kinda scary to adress the ball near the hosel... you know... the shanks haha!

I have a video, DTL, in which I miss-hit the ball this way, and what I can see is that my head at adrees is at 0 lets say, but then at impact my head is somethin around -3, a bit back of the sarting position and I don't know why hehe.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
post #2 of 8

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

I had a similar problem with my irons. I used impact stickers to see just where I was making contact on the club face. Then, as I made various adjustments, the impact stickers gave me feedback. I began correcting by addressing the ball near the hosel, but have now settled on a spot not at the hosel, but is about 20% of the length from the hosel to the toe. My stickers indicate that I am mostly in the sweet spot with that address. Obviously there are other factors, but this one helped me.
post #3 of 8

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Originally Posted by atrapasueños View Post
Hey guys, I want to see if you can help me with what is my common miss-hit when I'm playing and it's hitting on the toe of the club. It is not that common maybe 3 - 4 times per round, but it really cost me a lot, sometime I loose 1 or 2 shots because if this miss-hits.

I read that this miss-hit is caused becuase you're coming over the top, but when I miss-hit the ball it starts to the right and then come back, or sometimes starts straight and hooks.
I've heard that a correction to this mistake is to adrees the ball near the hosel, I've tried it, but it's kinda scary to adress the ball near the hosel... you know... the shanks haha!

I have a video, DTL, in which I miss-hit the ball this way, and what I can see is that my head at adrees is at 0 lets say, but then at impact my head is somethin around -3, a bit back of the sarting position and I don't know why hehe.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Is this happening with your woods or irons or both? If it's only on the irons, you might need an upward lie adjustment on your clubs. This is easily checked using a special tape and a lie board. Most golf shops should be able to help you our on this.

Alternatively, you may also have the ball too far away from you at address.
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
Is this happening with your woods or irons or both? If it's only on the irons, you might need an upward lie adjustment on your clubs. This is easily checked using a special tape and a lie board. Most golf shops should be able to help you our on this.

Alternatively, you may also have the ball too far away from you at address.
With my irons... today I played the second match of the Matchplay event of my local course, I loose because of this miss-hit... 138 yards I grab my Pw, miss-hit it and came out short and in the water...

Cheers!
post #5 of 8

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Originally Posted by atrapasueños View Post
With my irons... today I played the second match of the Matchplay event of my local course, I loose because of this miss-hit... 138 yards I grab my Pw, miss-hit it and came out short and in the water...

Cheers!
Hi:

I'm not a teacher or instructor or a pro or anything like that and without me seeing your swing and assuming you are not coming over the top, I can only take a shot at this.

It sounds like your lie angle is too flat as your miss is a snap hook or just an off center hit that just makes you lose yardage.

At your setup and address, the ball is lined up on the center of your clubface. During your downswing, the club follows a path to where is feels most comfortable to you which is pulling the club closer to your body, not much but like 1-2 cms at the bottom by the ball, causing you to hit off the toe. This is true especially if you feel the club trying to turn or twist in your hands at impact.

I would suggest that you get your lie angles checked with a lie board. I wouldn't be surprised if you need to be adjusted 1 or 2 degrees up.

Are you also reasonably tall, like 6 foot (183 cm)? That would also make me think you might need your clubs lengthened as well.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
Hi:

I'm not a teacher or instructor or a pro or anything like that and without me seeing your swing and assuming you are not coming over the top, I can only take a shot at this.

It sounds like your lie angle is too flat as your miss is a snap hook or just an off center hit that just makes you lose yardage.

At your setup and address, the ball is lined up on the center of your clubface. During your downswing, the club follows a path to where is feels most comfortable to you which is pulling the club closer to your body, not much but like 1-2 cms at the bottom by the ball, causing you to hit off the toe. This is true especially if you feel the club trying to turn or twist in your hands at impact.

I would suggest that you get your lie angles checked with a lie board. I wouldn't be surprised if you need to be adjusted 1 or 2 degrees up.

Are you also reasonably tall, like 6 foot (183 cm)? That would also make me think you might need your clubs lengthened as well.
I will try to do the lie board test, any idea to make a homemade lie board? Hehe, cause here we don't have fitters.

I am 185cm, my clubs are 1/2 inch longer.

Good call man, thanks for your advice!

Cheers!
post #7 of 8

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Originally Posted by atrapasueños View Post
I will try to do the lie board test, any idea to make a homemade lie board? Hehe, cause here we don't have fitters.

I am 185cm, my clubs are 1/2 inch longer.

Good call man, thanks for your advice!

Cheers!
A lie board is just a thin or rigid board or piece of plastic, etc, maybe 1 foot square with a small hole or dimple/dent in it so when you place a golf ball on it, it stays in place.

Here's a link to a page with a picture of one:
http://www.fittingworks.com/Technolo...mpactTape.aspx

You should also click on the "Methodology" buttons for further information.

You can make a lie board out of thin plywood or plastic.

Some testing suggestions:

- I would suggest you do this at a driving range.

- You don't need to bother with impact tape, just draw a dot on a bunch of range balls with a dry erase / eraseable marker (for example one that is made for whiteboards). Then line up the ball with the dot at the rear of the ball so that the club will hit the ball on the dot. Hit the ball using your normal swing, the dot will leave a mark on the face of your club where you hit it. Compare the pattern to the charts on the webpage. And don't worry, using a dry erase marker will let you wipe the marks off easily.

If you are paranoid, you can always use masking tape on the face of your clubs as well.

- In place of lie tape, you can use masking tape on the sole of your clubs, then hit a ball off the lie board. You can then compare the mark on the masking tape with those on the charts on the webpage. This method will not give you an angle for adjustment, but will at least show you if you need an up or down adjustment.

Give the above a try and post back with your results!
post #8 of 8

Re: Hitting on the toe of the club

Check your video again. You may not be maintaining your spine angle through impact. Check your backside through the swing. You may be standing up to upright through impact, which would cause the clubface to pull back. If that is the case place your backside against a chair/golf bag/ low wall and maintain contact througout your swing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Hitting on the toe of the club