or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Baseball habits are messing up my swing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baseball habits are messing up my swing

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
So I just started playing golf about a month ago, but I have played baseball all the way up to college, and now men's softball (I'm 25).

The only way it feels comfortable for me to hold the club is baseball style- when I interlocking my fingers, I seem to shoot worse.

Also I noticed (and so have my buddies) that I slightly lift up my front foot every time, and pull my shoulder back in my follow through (I'm a pull right handed hitter)

Is the baseball gripe a viable option if it feels a lot more comfortable?

And what are some good strategies to fix my swing besides the obvious "put more weight on your front foot and don't lift it up"? I think I get inside my head to much, cuz at the driving range I clear my head and do pretty well.
post #2 of 11

I played baseball for 14 years before switching to golf (im 28) and had the same problems in the beginning.

 

For your grip i would recommend an overlap grip. It is between the interlock and baseball grip. Basically grip your left hand like you would your bat, but instead of wrapping your thumb around point it down towards the club head. Now take your right hand and put it on top of your left thumb with your right pinky on top of your left pointer finger and have your thumb point down to the club head. It will feel a little awkward, but should be much easier to adjust to than the interlock method.

 

 

Now you didn't ask, but i just want to point out the two main differences in the baseball swing and golf swing when it comes to how your arms should be at the top of the swing. In baseball you were probably taught to bend your left arm and have the right arm up and out like a chicken wing. In golf it is the exact opposite. You want your left arm as straight as possible and the right arm tucked down into your body. Here is clip of my swing that kinda shows it at about the 4 sec mark (left arm straight, right arm tucked).

 

As far as weight shift, if you have a problem rocking too much, i would say start with more weight on your back foot so you don't rock as much and try and transition to your front foot during your down swing so that you could lift your back foot up after you hit and still be balanced.

 

Good luck!
 

post #3 of 11

If you grip the bat properly with the second knuckles lines up, then you only "need" to change the position of your left thumb to under your right hand. (could be wrong cause i've always interlocked).  I played baseball all through high school and golfed the whole time with no problems because the swings are so different.  Lifting your front foot a little might not be a problem because you can key off that to start your downswing.  When you put your foot back down, that can start your weight transfer and also your downswing.  In baseball you set your front foot down, then drive your hands through the ball.  Golf is the same except your weight follows your front foot.

post #4 of 11
You could also try changing your softball grip to an overlap grip. That might help make a transition to an interlocking golf grip, if that's what your looking to do, a bit more comfortable. I use a semi overlap grip with two fingers overlapping. Add that to dropping a pinky below the knob and you'll get a little more whip on your softball swing too.
post #5 of 11

Baseball?

 

Learn the Ballard swing.

post #6 of 11
My father is having the same issue. Baseball player for over 30years.. and swings like it on the course. Choppy swings also.

Needs fixin..but he doesnt practice enough.

Although he did win a local tournament.. hell of a handicap + good day. Was great.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanman View Post

So I just started playing golf about a month ago, but I have played baseball all the way up to college, and now men's softball (I'm 25).
The only way it feels comfortable for me to hold the club is baseball style- when I interlocking my fingers, I seem to shoot worse.
Also I noticed (and so have my buddies) that I slightly lift up my front foot every time, and pull my shoulder back in my follow through (I'm a pull right handed hitter)
Is the baseball gripe a viable option if it feels a lot more comfortable?
And what are some good strategies to fix my swing besides the obvious "put more weight on your front foot and don't lift it up"? I think I get inside my head to much, cuz at the driving range I clear my head and do pretty well.

Hi Xanman,  you might want to do do a little investigation into the 2 swings developed by Jack Kuykendall. The LPG swing and the E2E swings. I've been playing the LPG swing for 3 months and some of the things that might be applicable to you are, the LPG swing is based on a baseball style 10 finger grip and the top of the backswing/ start of the downswing are very baseball like with fully bent lead arm. I'm still trying to iron out technical flaws but the payoff is accuracy and distance control. Good luck.

post #8 of 11
Yeah, you too can shoot 88! Distance control is easier because your pitching wedge will only go 100 yards so you never hit a shot far enough for it to get very far off-line! Didn't you claim that everyone else sounded like an infomercial yet here you are hawking something that is not even yours. Xanman if you want to get better at golf look around. Baseball players tend to have a few things in common, largely hitting off a straight front leg which doesn't let the weight get forward like every good player at impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Hi Xanman,  you might want to do do a little investigation into the 2 swings developed by Jack Kuykendall. The LPG swing and the E2E swings. I've been playing the LPG swing for 3 months and some of the things that might be applicable to you are, the LPG swing is based on a baseball style 10 finger grip and the top of the backswing/ start of the downswing are very baseball like with fully bent lead arm. I'm still trying to iron out technical flaws but the payoff is accuracy and distance control. Good luck.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Yeah, you too can shoot 88! Distance control is easier because your pitching wedge will only go 100 yards so you never hit a shot far enough for it to get very far off-line! Didn't you claim that everyone else sounded like an infomercial yet here you are hawking something that is not even yours. Xanman if you want to get better at golf look around. Baseball players tend to have a few things in common, largely hitting off a straight front leg which doesn't let the weight get forward like every good player at impact.

Crikey Phil, just thought I'd put my opinion in. Sorry you think that's not cool. Phil, I'm pretty happy with my game at the moment. It's taking time to get my distance back to my trad golf swing but if it's important my pitching wedge goes a max of 120 meters but I kind of think that's ok if the pins at 120 meters, haha!And yes, My 15 over par score the other day was a shocker but I still think there's something to the new swing as opposed to the old especially in distance control and straightness. I shot 74 with the new swing first time out so I'm hoping its me and not it. I'm just encouraging Xanman to look far and wide.

post #10 of 11
If no good players are doing something it's generally for a good reason. Look far and wide all you want but you won't find better than doing what all the better players do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Crikey Phil, just thought I'd put my opinion in. Sorry you think that's not cool. Phil, I'm pretty happy with my game at the moment. It's taking time to get my distance back to my trad golf swing but if it's important my pitching wedge goes a max of 120 meters but I kind of think that's ok if the pins at 120 meters, haha!And yes, My 15 over par score the other day was a shocker but I still think there's something to the new swing as opposed to the old especially in distance control and straightness. I shot 74 with the new swing first time out so I'm hoping its me and not it. I'm just encouraging Xanman to look far and wide.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

If no good players are doing something it's generally for a good reason. Look far and wide all you want but you won't find better than doing what all the better players do.

I reckon that one reason the swing I'm trying to use now will NEVER be used by what you call the better players is the extreme distance the pros produce. It seems even the most slightly built youngsters on the pro circuit can smash a 300 yard + drive when they have to and I reckon I've dropped maybe 25 or 30 meters off my biggest drives with the change in swing. But for my game i think the big improvement can come in my GIR count.

 

Are we disputing that there are alternative golf swings or are we disputing the efficacy of those swings? basing a conclusion on the quality of the LPG swing based on some of MY scores seems a bit wrong but anyway Xanman can chose for himself

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Baseball habits are messing up my swing