or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (maxbakerman)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (maxbakerman)

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 5 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 12

My typical ball flight is: slight push draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: occasional shank every 30 balls or so. would like to get more distance.

 


 

Videos:

6 iron and 3w

post #2 of 11

This is your swing after 5 months? I hate you.

post #3 of 11

If you want more distance

 

  •  more hip turn in the backswing(almost a straight  right leg at the top)

 

  • a steeper shoulderplane (get  left shoulder down more at the top of the backswing)

 

 

 

And the shaft is to blurry to see what's happening at impact

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyredcab View Post

This is your swing after 5 months? I hate you.

:D i golf almost everyday. im pretty much self taught too

post #5 of 11

Ball is back, so your head tips back (or vice versa). Work on getting your arms down faster with a forward ball position.

 

And flare your feet out. See the instability in the right ankle at the top of the backswing, and in your hips? Flaring will help with that (and the downswing too).

 

 

 

post #6 of 11

See my stuff on the takeaway on ayouden's swing thread.  Compare your takeaway to the pros - I think they're all markedly different to yours.  I wouldn't bother fixing other parts of the swing (other than address where your hands are too forward / ball too far back) as you'll always have to make compensations for your dodgy backswing plane unless you fix that first.  However, you're hitting it well, so unless you want to make a commitment to changing your takeaway and backswing - it's not easy, and you won't be able to do it on your own without a dedicated teacher, imo, and it will feel very different - you may as well just leave (reasonably) well alone if you don't have a teacher who will work with you on this for a while.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
However, you're hitting it well, so unless you want to make a commitment to changing your takeaway and backswing - it's not easy, and you won't be able to do it on your own without a dedicated teacher, imo, and it will feel very different - you may as well just leave (reasonably) well alone if you don't have a teacher who will work with you on this for a while.

 

Ye i agree that it takes a lot of commitment and that it's hard without a teacher. But it's not impossible to do it on your own, and you learn a lot on the way too, which I think is very important. If you learn why your swing changes is good you won't fall back in the same mistakes so easily. The more you know the easier it gets to make changes imo. Eventually you don't need an instructor when you film your swing and can see your own mistakes so clearly. But that's just my experience, and i'm not that good yet, I know. But i'm learning a lot on the way from my mistakes. What i'm trying to say is, if someone thought me how to do a flawless swing I wouldn't had to go trough all these mistakes, which in the end I won't ever do again because I can recognise them when I see them.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrino View Post

 

Ye i agree that it takes a lot of commitment and that it's hard without a teacher. But it's not impossible to do it on your own, and you learn a lot on the way too, which I think is very important. If you learn why your swing changes is good you won't fall back in the same mistakes so easily. The more you know the easier it gets to make changes imo. Eventually you don't need an instructor when you film your swing and can see your own mistakes so clearly. But that's just my experience, and i'm not that good yet, I know. But i'm learning a lot on the way from my mistakes. What i'm trying to say is, if someone thought me how to do a flawless swing I wouldn't had to go trough all these mistakes, which in the end I won't ever do again because I can recognise them when I see them.

You're right.  I made a sweeping statement there which is wrong.  It of course is possible to do it without a teacher.  Like many, i couldn't.  But some people can and have done. 

 

I would add that even with a good teacher it's not easy and takes commitment, but if he/she gives you a clear vision of what you need to do and where he/she is going to take you it's easier to persevere through difficulties, rather than getting disillusioned and confused and reverting to your original swing when your shots aren't great yet. 

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 

How's it looking? I'll get some more videos tomorrow. This is my 8 iron, thats why I'm playing it in the middle

 

 

post #10 of 11

Watch shoulder alignment on more forward ball positions, your right hand is on top of the grip and that's why I say that , feel like your pushing the club back with your left hand and the clubhead should follow, your not turning your body as much as you should on the backswing. I'm not a pro so take it with a large grain but that's at least what I think I see.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

My Swing (maxbakerman)

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 9 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 10

My typical ball flight is: driver- mid/high, slight draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I need more distance. My current drive is 225-230 carry. I also rarely hook the ball. 

 


 

Videos:  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (maxbakerman)