or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Safety Net
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Safety Net

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Would I get a relief from safety net that was located near a tee box? My stance and swing were not affected but my line of play would be as the net was 20 feet high? My ball was too close to lob it over the net. Thanks for your help.

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang Buaya View Post

Would I get a relief from safety net that was located near a tee box? My stance and swing were not affected but my line of play would be as the net was 20 feet high? My ball was too close to lob it over the net. Thanks for your help.

 

You would only get such relief if it was allowed by local rule.  Normally no such relief is given for an immovable obstruction.

post #3 of 8

Give the wording of Decision 33-8/17, I don't believe such a local rule would be authorised. Safety nets are not unusual on a golf course. Only if it was temporary would the standard local rule be appropriate.

 

33-8//17 Local Rule Providing Line-of-Sight Relief from Irrigation-Control Boxes

 

Q.Irrigation-control boxes, which are about two feet wide and four feet high, have been installed near a number of fairways. Would it be appropriate for a Committee to adopt a Local Rule under which relief would be provided from such boxes when they intervene on the line of play, i.e., line-of-sight relief?

A.No. Providing line-of-sight relief from permanent immovable obstructions is not authorized, except in very unusual circumstances. It is not unusual for irrigation-control boxes to be located near fairways.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

Give the wording of Decision 33-8/17, I don't believe such a local rule would be authorised. Safety nets are not unusual on a golf course. Only if it was temporary would the standard local rule be appropriate.

 

33-8//17 Local Rule Providing Line-of-Sight Relief from Irrigation-Control Boxes

 

Q.Irrigation-control boxes, which are about two feet wide and four feet high, have been installed near a number of fairways. Would it be appropriate for a Committee to adopt a Local Rule under which relief would be provided from such boxes when they intervene on the line of play, i.e., line-of-sight relief?

A.No. Providing line-of-sight relief from permanent immovable obstructions is not authorized, except in very unusual circumstances. It is not unusual for irrigation-control boxes to be located near fairways.

 

I guess that depends.  I've only ever played one course where a situation like the OP presents might be likely.  And just because it's not allowed hasn't stopped a lot of courses from making up their own local rules anyway.  I'm not speaking in favor of such digressions from the rules, just trying to point the OP in the right direction.  I think he has to check with the course management to see if they have instituted anything that might attempt to modify the rule.  If not then there is no relief for line of play.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I guess that depends.  I've only ever played one course where a situation like the OP presents might be likely.  And just because it's not allowed hasn't stopped a lot of courses from making up their own local rules anyway.  I'm not speaking in favor of such digressions from the rules, just trying to point the OP in the right direction.  I think he has to check with the course management to see if they have instituted anything that might attempt to modify the rule.  If not then there is no relief for line of play.

 

I suggest that you also check the next Decision, 33-8/18, which gives the Committee permission to implement a local Rule that permits line of play relief for a safety net/screen.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I guess that depends.  I've only ever played one course where a situation like the OP presents might be likely.  And just because it's not allowed hasn't stopped a lot of courses from making up their own local rules anyway.  I'm not speaking in favor of such digressions from the rules, just trying to point the OP in the right direction.  I think he has to check with the course management to see if they have instituted anything that might attempt to modify the rule.  If not then there is no relief for line of play.

 

I suggest that you also check the next Decision, 33-8/18, which gives the Committee permission to implement a local Rule that permits line of play relief for a safety net/screen.

 

Good find.  I thought I'd seen it somewhere before.

post #7 of 8

Oops!  Didn't read far enough  b4_blushing.gif

 

Even worse, I recommended its introduction at a local course I was assessing a few years ago. c4_mad.gif z7_no.gif

post #8 of 8

You never get relief, without penalty, due to the line of sight being affected---unless there's a local rule regarding free relief from the safety nets.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Safety Net