or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Clearwater's search for new irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clearwater's search for new irons

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I am going to be buying a new set of irons this spring.  While I realize that it is a small thing, I have never spent so much money on a single golf purchase before.  The irons are a present from my wife (she suprised me a few weeks back) and she has asked that I not consider cost when purchasing (we are looking at clubs found in most golf stores, so things like custom ground Miruras don't count)

 

I have been stalking the different golf stores in the area hitting clubs when ever I get the opportunity and so far have hit several different kinds of clubs. 

 

So far I like the Ping G20 / i20 the best.  I hit the G25 and i20 on the same night and preferred the i20.  I have also hit the G15 as well and I liked them as well.  I honestly believe that any ping club with the correct shaft and properly fit will probably reward me with an excellent experience. 

 

So last night I spent sometime at Pro Golf in Bellevue, WA last night and the sales rep was very kind to let me use the hitting bay that is equipped with a Foresight GC2.  I hit 3 clubs all 6 irons.  The first was the Ping G20, the second the Adams CB3 and the 3rd was the RocketBallz. 

 

The Ping had a CFS in R, the Adams had a KBS tour 90 in S and the Rocketballz had Taylor made's shaft in S as well.

 

My club head speed averaged around 83-85MPH with high swings (read bad trying to kill it) around 89 and the low being like 81.  The side spin that I was getting was around 700RPM (if memory serves).  and generally speaking the ball flight was on the target with a slight draw (the guy put up a green for me to shoot at) missing most of the shots slightly to the right of the green (nothing terrible)  The best swings put the ball directly on the green. 

 

So here was my take away, please let me know what other information I should be considering.

 

The Ping G20 hit the green the most times.  (30-40% on the green)

The RocketBallz missed to the left the most times (never hit the green)

The Adams went the furthest. (6 iron total distance was around 205, carry around 175)

I liked the way the Adams felt with the KBS shafts, you could feel the shaft loading up on the downswing (is that a characteristic of the shaft or head?)  But generally preferred the impact feel of the Ping (I have hit other pings and the CFS has a very nice feel on good contact)

 

I ask this because I am getting a new set of irons this year (currently play clones) and want to make the most informed decision possible.

 

I got a Mizuno fitting last year and was told the shaft that fits my swing is either the KBS, Project X 5.5 or the DG S300. 

 

So based on this information, can anybody give me a suggestion on which shafts I should consider?  The last time I went for a fitting, the fitter did nothing but stare at the clock and I only got the opportunity to hit 2-3 different shafts, so I would like to have some idea on where to start when it comes time to get fit.

 

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

post #2 of 13

Congrats on the new irons.

 

You can check out this link in our forums - it will give you some more to consider. http://thesandtrap.com/t/55905/shafts-and-swing-speed/0_50

 

From what you said about your swing speed, the regular shafts should be the best match. I suspect that is why the Ping irons played better for you. The other thing to keep in mind is that when we try to get fit for clubs, you don't want to see how fast you can swing as that is not the way anyone plays.

 

Most people have a sense of how fast they could swing, but in order to have more consistency they only swing about 80% of that. It is more repeatable, less likely to cause injury, and more easy to control.

 

You can't go wrong with well fit Ping irons.  Their fitting system is one of the best and their irons, while not shiny and covered with rubber logos or speed slots, are brilliantly designed. 

 

*Though I don't know anything about graphite shafts on irons - as I haven't come to that point in my life, it dawns on me that your swing speed and budget might allow you the opportunity for a set of graphite shafts. They lighten the overall club weight, but usually give a person a truer feel for where the club head is at during the swing.  You might really these.  My golf partner has G20 irons with graphite shafts - hits his 7 iron about 145 and loves them.  They took about 4 strokes off of his average score!

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't like the way Graphite feels. I had Graphite shafts long ago and tried some Adams clubs with Graphite shafts.

I know they have made strides in Graphite and I won't discount them.

My wife and I booked a trip to Phoenix in March to see some preseason baseball. When I return home next week (currently in China on business) I will be contacting them to find out what the process is to get a retail consumer fit at the Ping facility. I have read online that you basically just show up and sign in. The facility is only a few miles from one of the parks we are visiting.

I figured that would give me the best likely hood of a quality fit and then go back to my retailer and purchase the clubs of my choice.

I will be sure to update this tread and let everybody know what the outcome is.

Thanks
post #4 of 13

KBS Tour 90 Stiff is a softer stiff shaft due to it's weight.  I have similar swing speed to you and was fitted to a NS Pro 950 GH stiff or KBS Tour 90 stiff.  My 6 iron is around 83-85.  These shafts are between R300 and S300 in DG and similar to the PX 5.5.  BUT, all shafts are a bit different.

 

The Adams CB3 is similar to the A4s I used to play.  They are nice, but will feel different than the G20s or G15s.  The sweet spot on the Pings will be a bit larger and you will be able to get the ball a bit higher.  The Pings also have a wider sole and will be more forgiving on fat shots.  Ping also has a better fitting system than Adams, sorry to say.  Adams is really lacking in this area even though they make nice clubs.

 

I would go with accuracy over distance. Keep in mind the simulator distances are not very accurate (they tend to inflate the numbers), but direction is pretty good.   

 

If you can get the G15s a lot cheaper, with the same fitting and shaft selection, I would go with them (I am frugal).  I am not sure what you HC is or how long you have been playing, but I have heard very good review on the Pings for mid to high HC players who are fairly new to the game.

 

Have fun.

post #5 of 13
I was also going to state that don't go by monitor numbers. I mean really 205 with a 6i and you might get a regular shafts, that should tell you something. As for what irons to get that is all preference. Ping irons a great, I loved the ansers I played but I just can't get past the sole.I personally love Adams irons right now, I play the CMBs and could be happier with their performance.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

KBS Tour 90 Stiff is a softer stiff shaft due to it's weight.  I have similar swing speed to you and was fitted to a NS Pro 950 GH stiff or KBS Tour 90 stiff.  My 6 iron is around 83-85.  These shafts are between R300 and S300 in DG and similar to the PX 5.5.  BUT, all shafts are a bit different.

 

The Adams CB3 is similar to the A4s I used to play.  They are nice, but will feel different than the G20s or G15s.  The sweet spot on the Pings will be a bit larger and you will be able to get the ball a bit higher.  The Pings also have a wider sole and will be more forgiving on fat shots.  Ping also has a better fitting system than Adams, sorry to say.  Adams is really lacking in this area even though they make nice clubs.

 

I would go with accuracy over distance. Keep in mind the simulator distances are not very accurate (they tend to inflate the numbers), but direction is pretty good.   

 

If you can get the G15s a lot cheaper, with the same fitting and shaft selection, I would go with them (I am frugal).  I am not sure what you HC is or how long you have been playing, but I have heard very good review on the Pings for mid to high HC players who are fairly new to the game.

 

Have fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

 

As for my handicap, I don't keep an official handicap.  I typically shoot right around 43-46 a side so my typical scores are in the 88-92 range.  I shot a best of 82 last year but also shot 102.  I think at one point I was entering my scores into OOBgolf and my handicap was rated at 17.x.

 

That being said the weak point of my game isn't my iron play.  It is getting off the tee (my miss is a GIANT slice that rears its head 3-4 times a round), half wedge shots and putting. 

 

So I don't think a players club would be a problem.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post

I was also going to state that don't go by monitor numbers. I mean really 205 with a 6i and you might get a regular shafts, that should tell you something. As for what irons to get that is all preference. Ping irons a great, I loved the ansers I played but I just can't get past the sole.I personally love Adams irons right now, I play the CMBs and could be happier with their performance.


This was one of those foresight golf monitors, but I agree.  On the course, I find that from 150 yards depending on lie, conditions, how well I am hitting the ball, I am grabbing a 7 or 8 iron.  So I would typically be looking at a 6 iron from about 165 ish range and that is total distance.  Also, I typically don't get a lot of roll out of my current clubs.  When I went to the launch monitor that day I didn't have my clubs with me to compare. 

post #8 of 13
I own i20's and I love them. I went with the stock cfc stiff shaft, I have since reshafted wit rifle 5.5 and I love them. My only regret was not buying them with the KBS shafts, my favorite shaft of all time. Stick with ping they last forever
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzfan View Post

I own i20's and I love them. I went with the stock cfc stiff shaft, I have since reshafted wit rifle 5.5 and I love them. My only regret was not buying them with the KBS shafts, my favorite shaft of all time. Stick with ping they last forever


If you like the KBS shafts so much, why did you reshaft with the rifle? 

 

Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but the KBS shafts and the Rifle shafts, they are a lot different in terms of ball flight, spin, and feel right? 

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post


If you like the KBS shafts so much, why did you reshaft with the rifle? 

Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but the KBS shafts and the Rifle shafts, they are a lot different in terms of ball flight, spin, and feel right? 

It depends on what kbs shafts you are comparing to the rifles. Also if I remember correctly the Owner/lead designer of KBS was the head guy of Rifle a few years back.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

The KBS shaft that I swung was the KBS tour 90 in Stiff flex as installed into Adams CB3 irons. 

 

I did a Mizuno fitting a while back (with that shaft analyzer thingy)

 

I got 3 shafts recommended to me:

 

DG S300

Rifle PX5.5

KBS Tour 90 in stiff

 

That being said I like the way the DG S300 felt in the Ping i20, but couldn't tell a difference based on feel between that and the CFS shafts in stiff

 

I have not hit the PX shafts or the KBS in a Ping head. 

post #12 of 13
I also have the i20`s and I also love them. They have the KBS Tour stiff. They hit great. I have never played better. With your swing speed and tech info and the fact you don't like graphite, I would look into the Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. They have all the benefits of graphite with the feel of steel. IMHO these are going to catch on big in the coming years.
post #13 of 13

Clearwaterms, It sounds like you and I are very similar on how we hit, getting fitted will be the key to all this.

I just picked up my G25's Thursday but was not able to hit them until yesterday.

I love them, the balance, the CFS shaft is a great match and to be honest I picked up about 9 yards on my 7i. This is over the new TM rocketbladz and the Callaway Razor. Again this is just me but don't count them out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Clearwater's search for new irons