or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (SCfanatic35)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (SCfanatic35)

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I have been playing golf since I was little, took about 10 years off and just got started again about a year and a half ago.

My current handicap index or average score is: 20.1 and lowering/mid to low 90's

My typical ball flight is: normal to high

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hooking or slicing occasionally. Can't hit driver with consistency.

 


 

Videos:

post #2 of 18

Will leave it to others to comment on more technical aspects.. but I quite like the general rhythm/tempo of the swing

post #3 of 18

I've seen you swing the club roughly a bazillion times but never really paid too much attention.  Now that I am really looking at it, I notice you have very minimal shoulder turn.  Maybe 70 degrees at the most.  You should try concentrating on getting your left shoulder all the way under your chin at the top of the backswing.  I also notice that you keep your head down looking at where the ball was sitting almost to the very end of your swing.  This might be where you are losing a lot of your power.  With your size and strength you should be able to hit the ball further than me.

 

Anyways, that's what I see for now.  So unless I am over-ridden by an expert, I would suggest trying to experiment with more shoulder turn ... and as a consequence, you should be able to keep the left arm a lot straighter too.  You won't have to "cheat" to finish your backswing.

post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Can you elaborate on what u mean by cheating at the finish?

also by keeping my head down. isnt that what im supposed to do?

i will try anything suggestions if they will make me play better.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

Can you elaborate on what u mean by cheating at the finish?

also by keeping my head down. isnt that what im supposed to do?

i will try anything suggestions if they will make me play better.

Not at the finish, at the top of your backswing.  When your shoulders stop rotating, if your arms also stopped, then it'd be like you were taking only a half swing.  To make it a full swing you "cheat" and bend your left elbow quite a bit to make the swing longer.  The straighter you can make your left arm the better, because less moving parts equals less inconsistencies.

 

And keeping your head down is not really a good thing but don't worry about that.  It's really only looks like too much on the first 7 iron swing.  The rest of your swings look OK in that regard.

 

Also, in case you start getting anybody telling you things like "Look where your right elbow is at A3" or "check out your clubface at A2" read up on this thread:

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53724/the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing/0_30

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 

I know I don't have much of a backswing. I will try that, I think the reason I have an abbreviated shoulder turn is probably because of back pain after continued rotation.  Hopefully this is not the case when I try it.

 

What action should start the downswing? That is where I feel I have mishits because different things seem to initiate the downswing. 

 

Also, I seem to be crushing my 3W - PW, because I am trying to hit down on the ball.  When I try and hit the Driver I know your not supposed to hit down on it, so it feels like I am taking a completely different swing.  It causes me to spray my driver all over the place, so usually I just keep it in the bag. I'm not satisfied with hitting 220-230 yard drives in the fairway with my 3W, I'll definitely not complain about it.  But I would rather be hitting 260+ yard drives in the fairway with my Driver.  Some people tell me to not hit Driver and just go short and accurate, that's not me. I want long and accurate.

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

I know I don't have much of a backswing. I will try that, I think the reason I have an abbreviated shoulder turn is probably because of back pain after continued rotation.  Hopefully this is not the case when I try it.

Then be careful and possibly ignore everything I said.  If you can't turn your shoulders more without hurting yourself, at least try and keep your left arm straight (ish) and only go as far back as that will allow.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

What action should start the downswing? That is where I feel I have mishits because different things seem to initiate the downswing. 

I don't know the right answer to this.  Seems like a few things all at once.  I start to press down with my left foot, weight transfers, hips start to slide, arms start coming down.  If I start spewing too much out here it's going to turn into the blind leading the blind.

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Then be careful and possibly ignore everything I said.  If you can't turn your shoulders more without hurting yourself, at least try and keep your left arm straight (ish) and only go as far back as that will allow.

I will try it. It will be obvious after the first 20-30 swings if it does hurt.  It might not since I have been playing a lot more golf and been seeing the massage therapist at least once a month.

post #9 of 18
Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand.

You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand.

You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.

Thanks for the input, but I'm a lot like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder.  I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you show me an example of what you are talking about?

Thanks

post #11 of 18
Here is shot of JB Holmes grip. The small red lines on his hands create the V's. The dotted line shows the V's going to his right shoulder.


Your left hand has the V pointing left of your chin. Your right hand V is pretty good.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand.

You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.

Thanks for the visual. I will start working on that. I'm sure it will feel pretty goofy at first, just like my last grip change. I used to have both thumbs pointed straight down the shaft, like I was hitch-hiking.

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Here is shot of JB Holmes grip. The small red lines on his hands create the V's. The dotted line shows the V's going to his right shoulder.


Your left hand has the V pointing left of your chin. Your right hand V is pretty good.

 

I started trying to use a different grip today at the range, didn't get a chance to take a picture but I will do it when I get a chance. I want to make sure I am doing it right before I learn a even worse grip.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I've seen you swing the club roughly a bazillion times but never really paid too much attention.  Now that I am really looking at it, I notice you have very minimal shoulder turn.  Maybe 70 degrees at the most.  You should try concentrating on getting your left shoulder all the way under your chin at the top of the backswing.  I also notice that you keep your head down looking at where the ball was sitting almost to the very end of your swing.  This might be where you are losing a lot of your power.  With your size and strength you should be able to hit the ball further than me.

 

Also tried doing more shoulder turn today. My back started hurting as I thought it might. Not sure if this is because I am using muscles that I haven't used before and it will just be sore for a little while until I get used to it.  Or if it is because I am hurting my back more and will be out of commission if I keep doing it.  Not sure what to do, man up and keep trying it or stop. Suggestions?

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

I started trying to use a different grip today at the range, didn't get a chance to take a picture but I will do it when I get a chance. I want to make sure I am doing it right before I learn a even worse grip.


Also tried doing more shoulder turn today. My back started hurting as I thought it might. Not sure if this is because I am using muscles that I haven't used before and it will just be sore for a little while until I get used to it.  Or if it is because I am hurting my back more and will be out of commission if I keep doing it.  Not sure what to do, man up and keep trying it or stop. Suggestions?
Don't hurt yourself! But experiment with what it feels like (in living room or mirror or whatever) to keep your left arm straight-ish. Your swing will be shorter but I'm not sure what you gain from continuing back by bending your elbow so much.
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 

Is your left elbow supposed to bend at all? It feels like I have no power if I don't bend my elbow.  It feels like I am chipping when I keep it straight.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

Is your left elbow supposed to bend at all? It feels like I have no power if I don't bend my elbow.  It feels like I am chipping when I keep it straight.
You can certainly get away with a little bend but if you look at most of best pros they have no bend at all.
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


You can certainly get away with a little bend but if you look at most of best pros they have no bend at all.

OK, maybe that's my problem. It feels like I am using my baseball swing to hit a golf ball.

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

OK, maybe that's my problem. It feels like I am using my baseball swing to hit a golf ball.

Possibly.  And when you say it feels like you have no power, I can't help but picture you accidentally keeping your right arm straight or also keeping your wrists from hinging.  Don't do that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (SCfanatic35)