• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCfanatic35

My Swing (SCfanatic35)

18 posts in this topic

I have been playing golf since I was little, took about 10 years off and just got started again about a year and a half ago.

My current handicap index or average score is: 20.1 and lowering/mid to low 90's

My typical ball flight is: normal to high

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hooking or slicing occasionally. Can't hit driver with consistency.


Videos:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Will leave it to others to comment on more technical aspects.. but I quite like the general rhythm/tempo of the swing

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen you swing the club roughly a bazillion times but never really paid too much attention.  Now that I am really looking at it, I notice you have very minimal shoulder turn.  Maybe 70 degrees at the most.  You should try concentrating on getting your left shoulder all the way under your chin at the top of the backswing.  I also notice that you keep your head down looking at where the ball was sitting almost to the very end of your swing.  This might be where you are losing a lot of your power.  With your size and strength you should be able to hit the ball further than me.

Anyways, that's what I see for now.  So unless I am over-ridden by an expert, I would suggest trying to experiment with more shoulder turn ... and as a consequence, you should be able to keep the left arm a lot straighter too.  You won't have to "cheat" to finish your backswing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can you elaborate on what u mean by cheating at the finish? also by keeping my head down. isnt that what im supposed to do? i will try anything suggestions if they will make me play better.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Can you elaborate on what u mean by cheating at the finish?

also by keeping my head down. isnt that what im supposed to do?

i will try anything suggestions if they will make me play better.

Not at the finish, at the top of your backswing.  When your shoulders stop rotating, if your arms also stopped, then it'd be like you were taking only a half swing.  To make it a full swing you "cheat" and bend your left elbow quite a bit to make the swing longer.  The straighter you can make your left arm the better, because less moving parts equals less inconsistencies.

And keeping your head down is not really a good thing but don't worry about that.  It's really only looks like too much on the first 7 iron swing.  The rest of your swings look OK in that regard.

Also, in case you start getting anybody telling you things like "Look where your right elbow is at A3" or "check out your clubface at A2" read up on this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/53724/the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing/0_30

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know I don't have much of a backswing. I will try that, I think the reason I have an abbreviated shoulder turn is probably because of back pain after continued rotation.  Hopefully this is not the case when I try it.

What action should start the downswing? That is where I feel I have mishits because different things seem to initiate the downswing.

Also, I seem to be crushing my 3W - PW, because I am trying to hit down on the ball.  When I try and hit the Driver I know your not supposed to hit down on it, so it feels like I am taking a completely different swing.  It causes me to spray my driver all over the place, so usually I just keep it in the bag. I'm not satisfied with hitting 220-230 yard drives in the fairway with my 3W, I'll definitely not complain about it.  But I would rather be hitting 260+ yard drives in the fairway with my Driver.  Some people tell me to not hit Driver and just go short and accurate, that's not me. I want long and accurate.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I know I don't have much of a backswing. I will try that, I think the reason I have an abbreviated shoulder turn is probably because of back pain after continued rotation.  Hopefully this is not the case when I try it.

Then be careful and possibly ignore everything I said.  If you can't turn your shoulders more without hurting yourself, at least try and keep your left arm straight (ish) and only go as far back as that will allow.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

What action should start the downswing? That is where I feel I have mishits because different things seem to initiate the downswing.

I don't know the right answer to this.  Seems like a few things all at once.  I start to press down with my left foot, weight transfers, hips start to slide, arms start coming down.  If I start spewing too much out here it's going to turn into the blind leading the blind.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Then be careful and possibly ignore everything I said.  If you can't turn your shoulders more without hurting yourself, at least try and keep your left arm straight (ish) and only go as far back as that will allow.

I will try it. It will be obvious after the first 20-30 swings if it does hurt.  It might not since I have been playing a lot more golf and been seeing the massage therapist at least once a month.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand. You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand.

You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.

Thanks for the input, but I'm a lot like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder.  I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you show me an example of what you are talking about?

Thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is shot of JB Holmes grip. The small red lines on his hands create the V's. The dotted line shows the V's going to his right shoulder. Your left hand has the V pointing left of your chin. Your right hand V is pretty good.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

Far from an expert, but the first thing I notice is that your grip is pretty weak. Yes, you can play good golf with a weak grip, but it takes an expert to square the face with a weak grip. You are far better off strengthening the left hand. Make the V in you left hand point to your right shoulder. Same with your V in your right hand.

You start down very steep with a open face, this means your hands need to square the face.

Thanks for the visual. I will start working on that. I'm sure it will feel pretty goofy at first, just like my last grip change. I used to have both thumbs pointed straight down the shaft, like I was hitch-hiking.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by mchepp

Here is shot of JB Holmes grip. The small red lines on his hands create the V's. The dotted line shows the V's going to his right shoulder.

Your left hand has the V pointing left of your chin. Your right hand V is pretty good.

I started trying to use a different grip today at the range, didn't get a chance to take a picture but I will do it when I get a chance. I want to make sure I am doing it right before I learn a even worse grip.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I've seen you swing the club roughly a bazillion times but never really paid too much attention.  Now that I am really looking at it, I notice you have very minimal shoulder turn.  Maybe 70 degrees at the most.  You should try concentrating on getting your left shoulder all the way under your chin at the top of the backswing.  I also notice that you keep your head down looking at where the ball was sitting almost to the very end of your swing.  This might be where you are losing a lot of your power.  With your size and strength you should be able to hit the ball further than me.

Also tried doing more shoulder turn today. My back started hurting as I thought it might. Not sure if this is because I am using muscles that I haven't used before and it will just be sore for a little while until I get used to it.  Or if it is because I am hurting my back more and will be out of commission if I keep doing it.  Not sure what to do, man up and keep trying it or stop. Suggestions?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started trying to use a different grip today at the range, didn't get a chance to take a picture but I will do it when I get a chance. I want to make sure I am doing it right before I learn a even worse grip. Also tried doing more shoulder turn today. My back started hurting as I thought it might. Not sure if this is because I am using muscles that I haven't used before and it will just be sore for a little while until I get used to it.  Or if it is because I am hurting my back more and will be out of commission if I keep doing it.  Not sure what to do, man up and keep trying it or stop. Suggestions?

Don't hurt yourself! But experiment with what it feels like (in living room or mirror or whatever) to keep your left arm straight-ish. Your swing will be shorter but I'm not sure what you gain from continuing back by bending your elbow so much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is your left elbow supposed to bend at all? It feels like I have no power if I don't bend my elbow.  It feels like I am chipping when I keep it straight.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your left elbow supposed to bend at all? It feels like I have no power if I don't bend my elbow.  It feels like I am chipping when I keep it straight.

You can certainly get away with a little bend but if you look at most of best pros they have no bend at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You can certainly get away with a little bend but if you look at most of best pros they have no bend at all.

OK, maybe that's my problem. It feels like I am using my baseball swing to hit a golf ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

OK, maybe that's my problem. It feels like I am using my baseball swing to hit a golf ball.

Possibly.  And when you say it feels like you have no power, I can't help but picture you accidentally keeping your right arm straight or also keeping your wrists from hinging.  Don't do that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I like it. Especially compared to nearly all past US Ryder Cup kits. Actually before I dish out too much praise, do they have a huge Stars and Stripes flag emblazoned on the back?
    • I would say it depends on what club you're talking about. For drivers I would say that the best performing drivers of all time have been made within the last five years. Aerodynamics, material science, and the proliferation of launch monitors and data driven design have resulted in improvements across the board in distance and forgiveness as of late. I know that I personally saw a decent improvement on my G10 when I switched to a G30, in that I gained between 10 and 15 yards without sacrificing accuracy. This is on the high end of what aerodynamics can provide though, simply because higher swing speeds receive a greater benefit from decreased drag. Depending on the individual you may not see much difference so long as the driver itself was made within the last ten years or so. For irons I would be inclined to say that the main difference in the irons of yesteryear and the irons of today is forgiveness. The irons made today are much easier to hit than previous irons, simply because they aren't as drastically punishing on mis-hits as the old blades. The PING Eye2 irons seemed to be the first "widespread" GI iron that sparked the trend towards irons that were easier for the layman to hit. That being said, I found my s55 irons (their "blade" from several years ago) to be more forgiving than the Eye2's. Based on that and observations from other clubs I have hit I would say the average golfer would be best suited by irons made within the last 10 to 15 years that are in good condition with sharp grooves. If you play muscleback irons though, there's pretty much zero difference between modern "true" musclebacks and those of yore, though the current muscle-cavity irons (like the iBlade and MP-15) will likely be at least a bit easier to hit than the older blades while maintaining a similar style.  Wedges are the only thing that I would argue the "latest and greatest" provides a tangible benefit for. The reasoning for this is entirely different however, in that it's based solely off the condition of the grooves in older wedges. As wedges grow old, and get used, the grooves wear to the point that there becomes a noticeable performance difference - especially when playing out of the rough. For this reason alone do I say that the average golfer (assuming they golf at least once a week during the golfing season) is best suited by wedges no older than two or three years old.  Putters are the odd man out here. I don't think it matters in the slightest when your putter was manufactured, so long as you keep a reasonable grip on it so that it doesn't slip out of your hands. I personally am a fan of the newer milled putters for the feel they provide, but it doesn't mean I couldn't probably putt nearly as well with an original Anser putter in the same style. I think the average golfer is best suited by whatever putter style and features allow them to consistently roll the ball along their target line, with no age requirement. In summary, considering the advancement of technology, I would feel comfortable putting these "maximum age caps" on equipment for the average weekend golfer to get the most out of his/her game: Drivers: ~10 years old or newer Irons: ~15 years old or newer Wedges: ~3 years old or newer Putter: Whatever works best for you That being said, you may still enjoy the game with any kind of equipment out there. I just think that equipment that follows these guidelines will let the average weekend golfer get about as much as they can out of their game without necessarily breaking the bank. Like @iacas said, you may find incremental improvements by purchasing the R1 over an old G5 but the question then becomes whether or not this improvement is worth the price difference. This question can only be answered by the person buying the club. It can't be denied, however, that a driver from the 1960's will be severely outclassed by the G5 and the R1, making either of them a much better choice than the 1960's driver. Interestingly enough, I have had the desire to go the opposite way for a while now. I bought the s55's my last go around, and I'm thinking that my next set of irons will be a more "traditional" muscleback iron (since the s55 is mostly a CB), along the likes of the MP-4 irons by Mizuno. I hit the ball consistently enough that I don't care about the lack of forgiveness, and I believe that the wonderful look and feel of those irons, along with the little bit of extra vertical control (can thin it slightly to make punch shots even easier) would offset whatever I lose in forgiveness. I know that I would most certainly never go to an iron like the AP2, the G, or the M2. The chunky look of the club (along with the offset) gets into my head nowadays and makes me feel uncomfortable standing over the ball in a manner similar to how I used to be intimidated by the look of blades at address. I would gain forgiveness, but at the price of distance and trajectory control - an unacceptable trade for me considering I value distance and trajectory control much more highly than forgiveness.
    • My newest clubs are pretty old. Maybe 2006? I don't really remember. The other day, just for the heck of it,  I played using my old Bazooka Iron Woods. (2i-LW) Shot my normal score. Those Ironwoods are probably 15-16 years old. I don't think at this stage of my life, that a new set would make that much difference. 
    • My irons are from 1978, driver and woods from 2004 (same G5 as you)....at my current playing level, I don't feel like my clubs are holding my scores back. I will be updating my wedges to something designed this century in the near future but I'll probably regrip and keep playing my grandfather's old Eye irons a couple more years. There's something to be said about being familiar with your equipment too. The control you talk about with your driver comes from hitting a lot of balls with it and getting to know how it responds to different things. That's tough to give up considering that it could take weeks to develop that relationship with a new driver...at least that helps me cure the new toy bug and keep the wallet closed. :)
    • Hah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that pic go up on the landing page.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. mahariji_slice
      mahariji_slice
      (35 years old)
  • Blog Entries