IGNORED

Driving iron to replace 3w ??

Note: This thread is 1825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, SteveH said:

My irons are Callaway Apex CF16 with the steel X95 stiff shafts and 4 iron is my longest and is pretty consistent. My old 3 hybrid was a Ping G30(19') with the Ping stiff shaft but my miss was a hook,  so I replaced it with a Callaway Apex 3 hybrid (20') with a Kurokage 80Hy stiff shaft that I hit well and it doesn't hook but I can hit a little draw or fade.  My 3w is also a Ping G30 (14.5' adjustable) with the Ping stiff shaft and my miss is a hook

So 185 yards with a 21.5° 4-iron. Trying for 220 ish without a hook... Hmmmm. If your getting 200 out of your Apex 3-hybrid. 

Here's my opinion. What about a strong hybrid? I'm a little biased but I played the Tour Edge CBX hybrid last year and it is a left-less hybrid. Your miss of a hook with 3w would be alleviated with a 16° or 17° hybrid that goes about 215-220. 

Hope that helps, another option if you can find one, is one of the older Nickent strong lofted models. Perhaps a 3DX or 4DX hybrid with 14° or 15.5° could be the ticket.

If it's a driving iron you'd replace your 3-wood with, the Srixon U85 is a very good choice. If you're going to grab the 2-iron you might as well grab the match 3-iron as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, SteveH said:

I hit both my 4 iron and 3 hybrid well but I start getting a liitle hooky with my 3w and driver.  I am hoping that the 18 deg driving iron will be longer than the 3 (20 deg) hybrid. I find my 3 hybrid goes about the same as a 5w.

I play to a 19 HC. I have a decent SS for someone my age. I tried an 18 degree driving iron a few years ago. I was not impressed. Yes, I could hit it straight. I ended up buying a 20 degree cavity back 4 iron. It was less than half the cost and I hit it further. I can hit this thing about 185 carry off the deck and about 195 carry off a tee. If you're consistently a little hooky with your 3W start aiming a little more right with it. But driving irons have changed since then. Another option is a GI 3 iron or a 18 degree hybrid.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!