IGNORED

Driving iron to replace 3w ??

Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wondering how many are playing a driving iron instead of their 3w or driver.  I hit my irons well out to about 185yds (4) and rarely get into trouble with them, except when I lose focus and don't aim properly. I recently added a Callaway Apex 3 hybrid and I also hit that well and consistent to 195-205yds.  Where I seem to get into trouble is driver and 3w. When I am hitting them well it's great but those 2 clubs seem to make or break my rounds.  When I miss, it is usually a hook and due to the distances (220+) they are gone and hurt my scores. I am considering adding a driving iron (2?) and wonder if anyone else has similar issues.  I did try a TM gapr lo, which I hit well, when I bought my hybrid but thought the hybrid would be more versatile so went with that.  I am primarily looking for distance off the tee on narrow par 4's and par 5's, as well as long 2nd and approach shots over 200yds and my swing speed is 105 with driver.  I have stiff steel shafts in my irons and stiff graphite in the hybrid, 3w and driver.  I haven't been able to find anyone with one I can try or a demo so I may see if I can find a demo day this spring nearby, or else try and find something used to try. I did see some new ones advertised from Dynacraft that are inexpensive and could be worth a try but I am a little confused with shaft options and knowing whether I would be better with steel or graphite. Any recommendations and experiences would be appreciated.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder, sometimes, if I've got a maximum efficient length.  I can play a hybrid off the tee and leave a 7, or 8 iron, in.  That is plenty.  The 280 yard drive is not something I can pull off often enough to make it worth the candle...so to speak.  Were I intelligent...I am certain I would feel differently...but I am not...so there is that.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I can see adding it to your bag but not replacing a Driver or 3-Wood. I guess it depends on how far back you play? What distance are you getting out of you 3 Wood now because i dont think you are going to get any more out of a driving iron. Actually you will probably be a bit shorter.

13 hours ago, march11934 said:

I can see adding it to your bag but not replacing a Driver or 3-Wood. I guess it depends on how far back you play? What distance are you getting out of you 3 Wood now because i dont think you are going to get any more out of a driving iron. Actually you will probably be a bit shorter.

I use the 3 wood for 215 - 225 and can get it out close to as much as 240 on a real solid strike at sea level.  I am thinking the iron may just be more consistent as my miss with the 3w is a hook and frequently lost. It is a 220-240 club that I am looking for. 

If you hit a 4 iron to 185 yards and 3 hybrid to 200 yards, then you need a wood to get to 220 yards.

If you are looking for a driving iron that can hit to wood distance with iron accuracy, it doesn't work that way, driving irons only go so far.

Driving irons are usually 3-4 iron replacements, they may replace your 4 iron and/or your 3 hybrid, but are not really meant to replace your wood or driver.

Edited by GOATee

I played, today, with nothing longer than a hybrid.  Shot 48 going out and 38 coming back.  I'm going to continue this experiment.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I can recommend the Dynacraft driving iron, I game the 2 iron (18 degrees) with a regular Graffalloy Blue shaft. Relatively easy to hit high and long, I can't get it passed 200 yards but that's me. I bought a used one off ebay for peanuts to try out but the jury's out on whether it'll replace my 3W though.

8 hours ago, Intruder1800 said:

I can recommend the Dynacraft driving iron, I game the 2 iron (18 degrees) with a regular Graffalloy Blue shaft. Relatively easy to hit high and long, I can't get it passed 200 yards but that's me. I bought a used one off ebay for peanuts to try out but the jury's out on whether it'll replace my 3W though.

I looked on their site and was thinking I might just order one but I was a bit overwhelmed with the shaft choices.  There are lots to choose from.  I tried an old driving iron in a store the other day but it was too low at 13 degrees. Thanks for the input.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, Intruder1800 said:

I got a dynacraft head and had it bent down to 17*. Stuck a project x 7.0 shaft in it and it has been a nice addition for cheap! 

I was fit for the Srixon Z U85 2 iron (18°) with Project X 85g 6.0 shaft at Club Champion and have loved the club since getting it. It fits the gap nicely between my 3 wood and 5 iron. 

Prior to having that club I used a 19° 3 hybrid that was decent, but I am much happier with the Srixon- the look fits my eye better and the feel isn't nearly as 'dampened' as with the hybrid.

11 minutes ago, chicub15 said:

I was fit for the Srixon Z U85 2 iron (18°) with Project X 85g 6.0 shaft at Club Champion and have loved the club since getting it. It fits the gap nicely between my 3 wood and 5 iron. 

Prior to having that club I used a 19° 3 hybrid that was decent, but I am much happier with the Srixon- the look fits my eye better and the feel isn't nearly as 'dampened' as with the hybrid.

I'm looking into this.   I've really made huge strides with my swing and, conversely, with my long irons over the past year.  .I hit my 4-iron significantly better than my 3-hybrid into tight spaces or at greens.  But, my 4 iron only goes about 210.   Whereas, I can hit the 3-hybrid up to 240.   If I could combine the accuracy of my 4-iron with the distance (or, most of the distance) as the 3-hybrid, I could have myself a real weapon.  

I've been looking at that Srixon, as well as the Taylor made P790 Util.  I wanna give that Talylor Made GAPR a try as well.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

3 minutes ago, lastings said:

I'm looking into this.   I've really made huge strides with my swing and, conversely, with my long irons over the past year.  .I hit my 4-iron significantly better than my 3-hybrid into tight spaces or at greens.  But, my 4 iron only goes about 210.   Whereas, I can hit the 3-hybrid up to 240.   If I could combine the accuracy of my 4-iron with the distance (or, most of the distance) as the 3-hybrid, I could have myself a real weapon.  

I've been looking at that Srixon, as well as the Taylor made P790 Util.  I wanna give that Talylor Made GAPR a try as well.   

That's sounds really similar to where I was at. I wanted the TaylorMade P790 (based on aesthetics alone) but the Trackman numbers convinced me that the Srixon was the way to go. If you do end up going to get fit let us know the results.  

2 hours ago, chicub15 said:

That's sounds really similar to where I was at. I wanted the TaylorMade P790 (based on aesthetics alone) but the Trackman numbers convinced me that the Srixon was the way to go. If you do end up going to get fit let us know the results.  

I picked up a used Taylor Made burner plus 2-iron at the used store today for $40.  Gonna get it out on the range and at the course and use it as a trial.  If having a 2-iron is as effective as I think it will be, I’m gonna upgrade it to one of the above.  

While I was there I also hit the Taylor Made GAPR.  Pretty bulky, but sure seemed awfully forgiving. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I hit both my 4 iron and 3 hybrid well but I start getting a liitle hooky with my 3w and driver.  I am hoping that the 18 deg driving iron will be longer than the 3 (20 deg) hybrid. I find my 3 hybrid goes about the same as a 5w.

@SteveH you are essentially looking for a 19* club.  A 2h or 5W.  As a rule the wood will be longer and the hybrid more accurate.  Test those out and see what happens

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 4/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, SteveH said:

Wondering how many are playing a driving iron instead of their 3w or driver.  I hit my irons well out to about 185yds (4) and rarely get into trouble with them, except when I lose focus and don't aim properly. I recently added a Callaway Apex 3 hybrid and I also hit that well and consistent to 195-205yds.  Where I seem to get into trouble is driver and 3w. When I am hitting them well it's great but those 2 clubs seem to make or break my rounds.  When I miss, it is usually a hook and due to the distances (220+) they are gone and hurt my scores. I am considering adding a driving iron (2?) and wonder if anyone else has similar issues.  I did try a TM gapr lo, which I hit well, when I bought my hybrid but thought the hybrid would be more versatile so went with that.  I am primarily looking for distance off the tee on narrow par 4's and par 5's, as well as long 2nd and approach shots over 200yds and my swing speed is 105 with driver.  I have stiff steel shafts in my irons and stiff graphite in the hybrid, 3w and driver.  I haven't been able to find anyone with one I can try or a demo so I may see if I can find a demo day this spring nearby, or else try and find something used to try. I did see some new ones advertised from Dynacraft that are inexpensive and could be worth a try but I am a little confused with shaft options and knowing whether I would be better with steel or graphite. Any recommendations and experiences would be appreciated.

It might not necessarily be a 3-wood problem. I've never really been able to hit fairway woods well off the tee so I'm a little biased. I have a couple questions for you before I put my $1.98 in.

What irons are you playing? (So I know the loft of your 4-iron)

What model 3-wood are you playing?

Which shaft in your 3-wood? 

I'm doing a little set make-up forensic test. If you could answer those questions for me @SteveH. It will make my answer easier.to explain. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

It might not necessarily be a 3-wood problem. I've never really been able to hit fairway woods well off the tee so I'm a little biased. I have a couple questions for you before I put my $1.98 in.

What irons are you playing? (So I know the loft of your 4-iron)

What model 3-wood are you playing?

Which shaft in your 3-wood? 

I'm doing a little set make-up forensic test. If you could answer those questions for me @SteveH. It will make my answer easier.to explain. 

My irons are Callaway Apex CF16 with the steel X95 stiff shafts and 4 iron is my longest and is pretty consistent. My old 3 hybrid was a Ping G30(19') with the Ping stiff shaft but my miss was a hook,  so I replaced it with a Callaway Apex 3 hybrid (20') with a Kurokage 80Hy stiff shaft that I hit well and it doesn't hook but I can hit a little draw or fade.  My 3w is also a Ping G30 (14.5' adjustable) with the Ping stiff shaft and my miss is a hook

On 4/9/2019 at 7:15 PM, SteveH said:

until recently the longest club in my bag was a 16.5* DI with the same x-stiff shaft as i have in my irons. i like the added heft/stiffness and similar feel to my other long irons because it's easier for me to control, but it's possible i could get more distance with a lighter steel or graphite shaft and eventually i may consider trying that.

i think getting a used DI and maybe a couple of used shafts or the same shaft as your hybrid is a good idea. i would also recommend experimenting with your setup. e.g. play around with adding weight to the grip or head to change characteristics to better suit you. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!