IGNORED

Will reshaft bring Cobra driver down?

Dave
Note: This thread is 5936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently picked-up a Cobra F Speed LD on closeout and just matched the specs to my other driver (10.5 degree with a regular flex shaft). I've played it a couple of times now, and while it's easy to hit (even mis-hits find the fairway) ... I'm hitting it a mile high and losing a bit of distance.

Will re-shafting with a stiff or extra stiff shaft bring the ball flight down or does the design of the head simply dictate a high ball flight?

You should look more into a high flex point, this will cause the club to not be as open at impact, the shaft will help tremendously.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Hi,

I have the cobra f speed ld regular shaft with 10.5*.

I hit it slightly higher i think than when I rarely demo other drivers, but I hit all the drivers I demo roughly the same distance. The only driver i hit further was the Hippo Hex for some reason (one shot) when I got a 10-15 yard increase. What I love about the cobra is that on the first tee I hit a 5 foot high slight pull terrible shot, and it still ended up about 200 yards on the left-middle side of the fairway, and thats the reason I love it. The cobra's shaft is only 55g though and I may replace that in the future for more feel.

yeah try stiff if it's not too much for your swing speed. also a more tip stiff shaft is what you want to look for.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I recently picked-up a Cobra F Speed LD on closeout and just matched the specs to my other driver (10.5 degree with a regular flex shaft). I've played it a couple of times now, and while it's easy to hit (even mis-hits find the fairway) ... I'm hitting it a mile high and losing a bit of distance.

Change the profile of the shaft not the flex to change ball flight.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

please note cobra drivers tend to come with stock shafts and difficult to change

one thing about going the extra mile there,s never a lot of traffic

what,s in the bag

driver: F speed LD 9 aldila NV stiff3 woodF speed LD 15 adila nv regularutility baffler 20 adila hl65 regularirons x-12 4 to pw rch99 firmwedges x18 forged 52 56&60putter im-01

please note cobra drivers tend to come with stock shafts and difficult to change

Unless you pay for a different shaft, all drivers, well clubs for that matter come with a stock shaft. And I don't think it's too hard to change them, I'm no club builder, but other clubs are easy to change the stock shaft, but maybe I am not reading your post right?

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I had the pro shop test my two driver shafts to see what the flex's really were. My old BBB with a Prolite 35 stiff tested x-stiff, and the Cobra LD F stock shaft in regular tested as "mid-senior" ... No wonder the Cobra is launching moon balls.

I used to do club repair and but haven't done it in a couple of years but there shouldn't be any problem reshafting a cobra. Usually Titleist, Ping and Callaway were the brands that proved to be difficult. I have seen flexibility tests where two shafts that said they were "stiff" were very different so it is hard to believe what flex the shaft is just because it says stiff on the shaft. Get a shaft with a higher flex/ kick point to help bring the ball flight down. You could also find a store or pro that has a launch monitor to help you decide on a new shaft.

"I'm a scratch golfer, I hit the ball and scratch my head wondering where it went."

Clubs in my Ogio stand bag
Callaway FT-9 i-mix 10* Fubuki Shaft R flex
Cobra Baffler 3 Hybrid Steel S flex shaft

Callaway Diablo 4H R flex graphite shaft

X Tour 5-PW Project X S flex Shafts

Cleveland: CG10 56 SW

Cleveland 60 LW

Futura Phantom 34" Putter

Some years ago I changed the shaft in a cobra driver thus it turned into a pig just could not control it some time latter I met a man who worked for cobra / titleist in australia and he informed me it was difficult to change shafts in cobras due to the forgiveness they have built into them so thats why I believe it may not be straight forward . You may cure one problem and create another .

one thing about going the extra mile there,s never a lot of traffic

what,s in the bag

driver: F speed LD 9 aldila NV stiff3 woodF speed LD 15 adila nv regularutility baffler 20 adila hl65 regularirons x-12 4 to pw rch99 firmwedges x18 forged 52 56&60putter im-01

Note: This thread is 5936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!