IGNORED

My Swing (josh9308)

josh9308
Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shoot in the low-100s and received my first golf lesson a few months ago. I lose a decent amount of strokes off the tee because of my slice and not being able to hit it squarely. I struggle with my longer irons. My misses are shanks that go about 45 degrees directly to the right (as you see in that second video) and hitting behind the ball. When watching my swing, it seems as if I am coming over the top.

Any advice is appreciated. I keep up with certain PGA coaches on Instagram like MikeBender and Kyle Morris, so I see some of the drills they implement that I think could work with a swing like mine, but I struggle to find consistent results. Thanks in advance!

The shots below (some are slow-mo) are with my 48* wedge, 5 wood, and driver.

I've been Playing Golf for: My whole life, casually. I have been playing way more in the past year. 
My current handicap index or average score is: Low-100s
My typical ball flight is: Besides the 45* shank directly right? My ball flight is more of a fade/slice than anything. 

Videos: 

I am a long-time shanker.  The first thing I notice is that you may be taking it back too much to the inside. This guarantees a shank. Try taking the club directly back from the ball for the first 18” or so.  This 

Something is causing your head to lean forward towards the ball. Allowing the left knee to pop out forward has caused me to do this.  Try to think more about turning the left knee in: swinging inside a phone booth may be a good swing thought for this.

(edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 2:00 PM, Scottsdale24601 said:

I am a long-time shanker.  The first thing I notice is that you may be taking it back too much to the inside. This guarantees a shank. Try taking the club directly back from the ball for the first 18” or so.  This 

Thank you for the reply.

The past couple weeks, I have been working on my takeaway. Before, I felt like I was sucking the club in and not allowing my hands to be inside of the club with the club head outside my hands. This adjustment has helped me provide better contact and less shanks.

I feel that my club goes past parallel on the back swing, however, my practice swings do not feel that way, and when I try to not go past parallel, my timing feels off and a bit truncated. 

Some more videos of my 5wood and I believe PW or 9 iron.

I will record some videos from the front at some point. 

Edited by josh9308

(edited)

So, I was analyzing some of my own swings at the range yesterday (which I'm not posting). I have a tendency to move my arms/hands a tad too far and go past parallel. I do a good job of keeping my left arm straight for about 90% of the backswing, however, when I go past the point of parallel, it tends to bend. 

So, I tried working on my usual takeaway in the beginning half of the backswing, however, after I hinged, I would just turn my body rather than continuing to move my hands. I felt like I was doing a good job of doing that and was hitting the ball quite smoothly in my backyard. This feeling makes me feel that I produce a shallower swing because everything seems more more compact and connected. 

Edited by josh9308

You should take a look at that thread. Your hips don't turn very much in the backswing. It could be part of why your arms run long in the backswing, to feel fully loaded at the top.

Just to let you know, there are lots of topics on this website you can participate in besides this one 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!