IGNORED

TaylorMade M4 Driver First Impressions

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got a sharp deal on an M4 10.5 deg head and got out to the range today keen as usual to try out the new head asap... watched heaps of reviews pre-buying which left me ho-hum on the purchase and thinking it wouldn't be much of an upgrade on my 2016 M1 ..which I run in neutral settings weight centered and mid back..

Running the-Mitz Tensei CK 70 X shaft   (114mph swing speed av.)

was a strong crosswind ... 20-30mph so any draw to pull shots were really gone with the wind ...started off at standard 10.5deg setting and the ball was going far too high a trajectory(distance hurting high) so ended up setting it up -2% taking it to 8.5deg

Was really impressed how hot the ball was coming off the face esp as they were just range balls ... much better feel and sound than the older M1 was impressed as found the 9.5deg M1 I had to adjust to 9deg to be very hard to launch a decent trajectory at times or stupid high if adjusted weights... where the M4 seem to be locked and loaded on repeat just as long as the operator swings the same path it was a thing of beauty perfect shot for longest distance possible even when I dialed back the swing speed I was impressed with distance 

thinking the M1 more an advanced player driver I don't think I could ever adjust to feel and nice and easy to swing as the M4 (game improver?) with the twisted face I didn't have many wayward shots even though the wind was trying its best>>>> 

Can't wait to play in better conditions tomorrow and better understand the M4 but at this stage, I was impressed enough to put the M1 head up for sale

interested to hear from other experience ... I have tested the M3 and didn't gel well at the time but wasn't using my shaft,,, also recently had a go with Srixon Z765 and wasn't impressed distance or feel ...

Other drivers, I've used over the last few years - R11 -PING G20 ,G25 ,G30 , diablo octane...... IMHO the M1 was a major step-up in feel and distance over my older drivers ... 

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

1 hour ago, NZ Golfer said:

I don't think I could ever adjust to feel and nice and easy to swing as the M4 (game improver?) with the twisted face I didn't have many wayward shots even though the wind was trying its best>>>> 

M4 has the twisted face?   I thought that feature came out with the M5/M6.   I could be mistaken..

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

M4 has the twisted face?   I thought that feature came out with the M5/M6.   I could be mistaken..

M3 and M4 also had it.

2018_M3_Driver_3quarter.jpg

M3 and M4 drivers fueled by new research that leads to face with multiple curves for shots that work back toward centerline

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got the M4 driver, 3-wood and hybrid last year. They replaced similar Titleist 913 set. What I noticed with the driver was the entire face felt like the sweet spot.  When demo-ing them I looked at the face and could see I wasn't hitting every shot dead center but there was never the feeling of a dead-hit. Mitsubishi Tensei Red in driver and 3-wood and Fujikura Atmos Red in hybrid. 

Yes, I'm finding after a round with the bulk of my hit square around the center of the driver face the ball comes off the same trajectory pretty much every time..  I didn't have a great first 4some round with the driver but that was more me rotating body faster than hands leading to pulling shots that I was still hitting HUGE 280yards+  ...looking forward to getting out again tomorrow with a few fixes to really see the potential of the New M4 ....  

Go Foxy Go

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade M4 Driver First Impressions

I got an M4 last season. I don't think there's a better driver head on the market besides the M5 and M6. The twist face really worked for me, as hits off the toe didn't hook, and hits off the heel didn't slice. The entire face acted like the sweetspot. The only downside is that the shaft adapter does not have as many options as Titleist's. 

Finally, after a good few hits with the M4 80+ hits think, I'm getting a better handle ..as it's a 10.5 head I've got it adjusted down 2deg but still hit it around 40deg Vs M1 with 9.5 head than I had down 1deg so should be the same face angle yet the M1 would always stay around 30deg angle arch..

Not a big issue but certainly could be in a stronger crosswind... distance wise not much difference maybe a touch shorter than the M1 but we are only talking 5-6 yards which are most likely around launch angles.

Go Foxy Go

(edited)

Another game with the M4 and just not gelling with the set-up not sure if it's having a 10.5 head turned down to 8.5 or the Tenesi CK70 X-shaft but I just can't get a good feel for the driver today started off with slight fade but soon had the strong draws back with a couple of pull shots in the mix ... of course its most likely the operator but have been offered a direct swap deal on a PING G400 LST 8.5 head so going go with that option ..

looking back my M1 9.5 was much more consistent ... not sure on the twisted face think maybe the weight of the M4 + heavy shaft I'm just not getting a good feel for the driver's head   

not losing any money as got for a sharp price.... have heard some great reviews on the PING G400 so going back 

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!