IGNORED

Best Dunk Contest in Years WHO'S the BEST?

g-funk13
Note: This thread is 5812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who is the Best Dunk Contest participant of ALL TIME?

• Michael Jordan
    • Vince Carter
    • Spud Webb
    • Dwight Howard
    • Other (Please explain)

This is the first dunk contest I have watched in a long time and agree that it was very entertaining. Say what you will, but the Dwight Howard superman jump shot was not a dunk. It should not have counted much less been given a perfect score.

why was it not a dunk? just curiosu why you woudl define it as not a dunk when dunks are defined as throwing it down?

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

why was it not a dunk? just curiosu why you woudl define it as not a dunk when dunks are defined as throwing it down?

In my honest opinion a slam dunk is when a person goes up and throws the ball threw the hoop and grabs the rim. If you are going to define what he did as a dunk, then you would have to allow someone to do a finger roll and count it as a dunk. I am not saying it was not impressive, but I am sure if you asked if he ment to do that he would say no he ment to dunk it.

actually he did exactly what he wanted to do. he didnt want rim. i was watching mike and mike in the morning and they had him on the phone and asked him about it. his response was something like "i didnt want to dunk the ball i wanted it to look like i threw it straight in, like something that is impossible to do, like something superman could do"

actually he did exactly what he wanted to do. he didnt want rim. i was watching mike and mike in the morning and they had him on the phone and asked him about it. his response was something like "i didnt want to dunk the ball i wanted it to look like i threw it straight in, like something that is impossible to do, like something superman could do"

Are you sure? Of course he's going to say that after the fact but I'm not entirely sure that's what he intended right before the dunk. I could be wrong.

I'm with the others who said he won the thing with his first dunk. His first dunk was awesome. The superman dunk, while cool and creative, I don't think was as impressive. To me, it almost looks like he jumped and realized he wasn't going to reach the rim and threw the ball in. Don't get me wrong, that appears to be tough to do but I think that took away from the dunk a little bit. Howard deserved to win, easily, but I'm not sure why a lot of people are just giving him the creativity points. I thought Gerald Green's birthday cake was pretty cool and very creative.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

VC gets my vote.

And technically, it was a dunk. A dunk is throwing the ball into the hoop at a high speed. DH12 did that. It would have been a lot harder to throw it in that grab the rim.

Also, the judge's don't get to see the replay, it must have happened so fast, they might have thought he grabbed rim, so if that pleases the 'it wasn't a dunk fans' there you go.

The throw in was why everyone went nuts. He's seven feet tall and look where he left from. There isn't a 7 footer, built like him, that has ever done those things. (I read where his vertical leap is almost 40 inches.)

Yes, look where he left from, and he didn't reach the rim!!! He's 7' and he jumped high enough to throw it in from far away. Great. It's not a dunk.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Yes, look where he left from, and he didn't reach the rim!!! He's 7' and he jumped high enough to throw it in from far away. Great. It's not a dunk.

Sonic, that was the point of the dunk. The idea that it's not a dunk because he did not touch the rim is untrue. It's actually more impressive that he was so above the rim that he could actually throw it through the hoop.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

There was a lot of banter in the media from Howard and Green about raising the rim to 11', 12', and even 13' for the dunk contest. it was all a little rediculous, but Howard has complained multiple times that the "Spud effect" (dunks look better when you have to jump higher) puts him at a disadvantage. I think the throw-down-from-a-distance by Howard was his next comment in that vein: he is much bigger than the other contestants.

Whether it was or wasn't technically a dunk, he clearly found a way to overcome the Spud effect.

It is.

A slam dunk (or simply a dunk) is a type of basketball shot that is performed when a player jumps in the air and manually powers the ball downward through the basket.

I hate having to get definitions, but yes.

Vince Carter was my choice from the list. I think he had the best overall performance in the dunk contest. All his dunks were entertaining. The arm hang, reverse 360...c'mon, there's no contest! The between the legs dunk was possibly the best executed dunk I've seen in any contest. They were all creative. I know JR Rider is known as the creator of the between the legs..but it was quite sloppy with that kung fu looking kick he did.

I would also have included J-Rich to that list. His bounce pass, BEHIND then between his legs and one hand reverse dunk was incredible!

I just hope in the future, we get more big name contestants back in. Think how much more exciting the contest would've been if it was Kobe, J-Rich, Lebron, Green, and Howard?

Driver: r7 9.5*
3 Wood: xxI0
4 Wood: V steel
Irons: i-403
PW: : 56* chrome wedgeSW: 53* tour seriesPutter: scotty cameron Newport twoBalls: ProV-1Bag: Hoofer stand bag

I just hope in the future, we get more big name contestants back in. Think how much more exciting the contest would've been if it was Kobe, J-Rich, Lebron, Green, and Howard?

I hope that happens. I want a big named, 8 contestant, and at least another dunk added, and another round. Until that happens, the dunk contest doesn't interest me too much.

From Webster's dictionary......The definition of a dunk is as follows....

"to throw (a basketball) into the basket from above the rim"

So like it or not, it was a dunk :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

From Webster's dictionary......The definition of a dunk is as follows....

Webster does not play basketball. I can dunk and that was not a dunk. Great show and if he had actually touched the rim it would have been awesome, but it was a 6" jump shot with a lot of speed.

Greatest dunk contests may have been 1985-1988. In 1985 Dominique Wilkins won, but Jordan got screwed. His scores were lower than they should have been in part because he wore Air Jordan clothes in the first round instead of his uniform. Apparently some of the judges thought he was too cockey for a rookie. Terence Stansburry might have been the best of them all that year. He just didn't have the star power. The 1986 one was awesome too. Spud Webb beat Wilkins with some awesome dunks for a guy 5'7". Jordan's best stuff came in 1987 and 88. In 87 he won but both Webb and Wilkins were hurt and didn't compete. In 88 they had the rematch and Jordan and Wilkins went head to head all night. http://frontrowsportsreport.com/2008...nique-wilkins/
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a huge Jordan fan, but VC's "Superman" dunk, & the "Over theTop (of a head)" tops my list as probably the best dunk ever & it was NOT even in a dunk contest.

http://http://www.jordanextreme.com/...permanDunk.jpg

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mwwells/V...pic%20dunk.jpg

In my Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 10.5° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D3 RF Graphite

3-Wood: TaylorMade r7 Ti 15° Fujikura RE/AX 60 D2 RF Graphite

3-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 21° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

4-Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 24° Callaway H/600 D2 RF Graphite

5-9: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D3 RF Steel

PW: TaylorMade RAC OS2 27° to 42° T-Step D4 RF Steel

AW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 50°, 6° Bounce WF Steel

SW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 54°, 10° Bounce WF Steel

LW: TaylorMade RAC Satin 58°, 8° Bounce WF Steel

P: TaylorMade Rossa Daytona1 AGSI®+ 32” Blade

• 4 weeks later...
Late for this thread but I voted for Jordan. Not only was he an incredible dunk artist, but he brought the masses to the contest and helped make it what it is today, even though I feel some luster has been lost over the last couple of years. I would have voted Dominique Wilkins second, higher than the others on the list. He could really throw them down. He was the king of the windmill.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Dwight Howard's performance in this year's slam dunk contest was really special. It's special because there is only just so many dunks that the human body can physically perform. Through the years, most of those dunks have already been showcased. That is why the last few dunk contests have been so boring -- we've seen all of that before!

Dwight Howard put two or three 'new' dunks into that list that I personally really thought was closed.

I love the dunks on NBA Live 08 on the 360. Those are my favorite.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Note: This thread is 5812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!