IGNORED

"CUT" or " fade".. definition please...

Three Putt
Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you call it? I'm confused...is it the same thing???

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Cut is generally a lower trajectory, sharper left to right.

A fade is more of a higher trajectory, more arced(?), softer left to right.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Thank you...i just hear a lot of "CUT" talk...but only tour pros or very low hcappers can do it...like I thought.

I hit a high fade with the 4 iron and up, can count on it, and happy with it. I'll still call my shot shape a fade...just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

sorry for being confusing to three putt but when I hit a cut it is a high floater L-R but when I hit a fade it is still high but has more L-R. Just my trajectory though. Give you an example; Cut, start at the pin and "drifts" right. Fade starts left of pin and ends more right of pin. bad english but you understand.
IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

you got me man...

I fish..... A LOT...in Floidauh.

Within a 50 mile radius fishing guides can call "bait" 5 different things (Greenbacks...Threadfins...Whitebait....HorseMinnows.....Scaled Sardines)

I tend to think fade as a mid to high trajectory with a left to right pattern,, and a "CUT" as a lower, and sharper kind of deal????

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx 15* - X flex

• Administrator
I think I tend to use them interchangeably.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They are used to mean the same thing, ie left to right movement. I tend to think of a fade as a natural ball flight that is very controlled and a cut as something that is a little more manufactured.

Ex: My ball flight is a natural fade versus I had to cut the ball around the tree. It probably just comes down to preference but in the end it is left to right.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

same here... but I like the whole...

fade = natural cut = more manufactured why do we have more names for left to right ball flight than right to left?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I think of a fade as a shot that spins and curves a bit left to right.

I think of a cut as shot that spins left to right and goes straight. I.E., I think of "cut" as the 'bite' spin you might want on a wedge or nine iron. That's what they taught me back in the day.. whenever that was.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

same here... but I like the whole...

I have no shortage of names for right to left shots since I hit them almost exclusivlely:

Draw Hook Trap "hit a little runner in there" Smother Pull Hook Snot Hook The Deep Shit Shot Stop Hit something soft!!!! WTF was that?

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I think of a fade as a shot that spins and curves a bit left to right.

I remember hearing Johnny Miller saying Phil likes to hit that "high cut" off the tee... so I think many people must think of it as a shot you hit with driver as well.

I have no shortage of names for right to left shots since I hit them almost exclusivlely:

I was referring to the more standard names... but that's a nice list. At least you miss to one side whereas I spray the ball all over the damn place when I'm off.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

a fade is a shot that is hit straight and begins to move right after reaching the top of its trajectory e.g. "power fade"

a cut is typically a lower shot that starts left and moves right during the entire ball flight eventually landing straight

or thats atleast the way i think of them. anything more extreme is slice territory, manufactured or not

Driver:  S3 White Limited Edition 10.5* w/Aldila RIP Beta 65

3 Wood:  Burner 15*

Irons:  Forged Blades 3-9

Wedges:  SV 48, 52, 56, and 60

Putter:  Studio Newport

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: 

i always got told that a fade is sort of a soft left to right movement, whereas a cut is more manufactured shot, directed left of the target and moving back in, with much more movement. i believe a cut is used by pros to get over a hazard and to land the ball on a small green as a cut has lots of backspin i.e. less roll. however a draw shot over a hard onto a green will have more roll and roll off back.

just my 2c

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I have always thought of them as pretty much the same except when I think of a fade, it is generally hit with higher trajectory with less ballspin and a cut is generally a lower trajectory shot with a little more ballspin.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I tend to interchange them. Although I'll usually say "fade" (out loud, yelling at the ball when I play for a draw, and it begins curving right...)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

If backed up against a wall, I would simply say:

CUT = low left-to-right shot
FADE = high left-to-right shot

A "low fade" doesn't compute with me for some reason. Also, I'd have to say that each of these implies just a gentle path curve. Anything turning hard left-to-right is a slice in my book.

As far as the other direction, I'd have to say a high right-to-left is a draw, and a low right-to-left I would clarify as a "snap draw." Again, both more moderately curving, and anything severely right-to-left, high or low, is a hook.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

They are all just euphemisms for "slices" Better players can slice on demand to a point in play and these are either called cuts or fades. Poorer players slice involuntarily all the time to points out of play or position.

Someone else can reply to this. That's the kind of statement people ding me for and I might do it again.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!