IGNORED

My Swing (Double_AA)

Double_AA

Easier said than done... I can do it with my irons pretty well and hit a small draw, mostly just straight. I can’t seem to get my woods down low enough to go in to out. I really can’t even picture in my head how to do it even though I’ve watched a thousand videos on how to do it  

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit some irons today. I am hitting pretty good right now. Although my swing doesn’t look great... I’m having real trouble shallowing. I’ve tried a few drills I’ve found like the wall drill as advised by Evolvr and squat and turn to start the swing but it just isn’t clicking for me. My main swing thoughts in this swing is stay down on the ball, keep my eyes on the ball, and hit it square. I have eliminated my slice I think.. I haven’t hit one in a good while. I think my left hand was just in a very weak grip and I didn’t know. These shots I’m going for a draw with my face open to the target. In the past that would of sliced baddd.  They mostly just went dead straight. 6 iron was going around 185-200 yds. I mean I guess this shot is functional I can hit it pretty consistently but I do know it’s not correct, and I want to learn to hit in to out correctly. I can’t tell if I’m flipping but I do see that chicken wing  

I just found a drill that I’ve been trying at home this evening. I think this one is really helping me to get the feeling. Also this video is hilarious please watch 😂 but I swear I think it’s the only thing coming through to me to shallow out. 

Well guys I have officially gotten my swing in to out on all clubs. Now it seems that I have to realllly pay attention to my grip. Mostly I have trouble getting my right hand into the same position each time. My left hand is for the most part in a neutral position. I can see 2 knuckles and the V goes toward my right ear. However if I get sloppy with my right hand a hook or slice is inevitable. I just started getting my driver path right today and what I needed to do was take a wider backswing to make it possible to get the club inside on the downswing. I’m not used to this though so I have to swing pretty slow or I just pop it up in the air. I’m getting around 200 yards with the slow swing though so I think once I get used to it and speed it up I can really push it out there.  I will get some videos up soon! 

Update... my swing is currently the best its been so far. I have recently changed my grip from baseball to overlap. I think I was using my right hand way to much in my swing, and it led to release issues. Now I am practically holding the club with just the middle and ring finger on my right hand and releasing the club almost feels automatic. I wanted to share a drill that I have been using to get my woods on an in to out path; this is the only drill that has really clicked with me and it has pretty much fixed my OTT issue. Along with the new grip allowing me to release I have produced a nice draw. Hopefully this drill can help some of you guys out that are having issues with the out to in swing path... the drill is simple to set up. One key note that I would highlight is taking the club back directly over the tee that is behind the ball, this will put you into a position in the back swing that makes it easy to come down on the right plane. 

I hope to play on a regulation course this weekend, and see if I can at least score around 100 for the first time. I would really like to break 90 before the season ends, but we will see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the worst day ever at the range today. I was puring all of my iron shots and hit a couple good drives. I’ve been hitting decent drives with a small draw then bam! I could not stop hitting worm burners. It was like I lost all concept of club face. I hit probably 40 in a row with my driver and gave up. Next I grabbed my new 3 wood that I got last week and hit a few more burners with it. Then to top it all off I managed to literally hit the ball with the top of the club and dent it. Literally no worse feeling especially being brand new. I have no idea what happened but man I hope it doesn’t stick around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  I've had a period of hitting good shots and playing pretty well. I think I have eliminated my slice for now, and produced a more "in to out" path. My old problem was coming "out to in" with an open face > Slice/ pushes. However, now that I have became a more "in to out" swinger my strong grip is beginning to hurt me and I'm hitting more and more hooks/ pulls. I'm not sure if this is a good thing on the path to a good swing. I think I am going to try going back to a more neutral grip with an "in to out" path, hopefully without going right back into a slice. I just wish to develop a somewhat dependable swing that doesn't  over the time-span of a month so I can play bogey golf with my friends. I'm just curious if it sounds like I am making progression or am I just going in a never ending loop of exaggerated feels that eventually produce the exaggerated results.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

So I haven’t been able to get my drives off the ground for like a month now. Going to do a better video at the range soon but here’s what I have of today. I can literally do this shot 50 times in a row without the ball getting airborne. I’m not sure what the big issue is here from what I see path looks good face is maybe a little off but I haven’t been able to get off the tee for a long time now. I miss my slice lol. I’ve tried moving ball position back and forth with no real results. 

Edited by iacas
please embed videos

• Administrator

Make sure they're from good angles, please. Either you're topping the ball or you're delivering so little loft you're hitting the ball downward.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah I will get a better video hopefully tomorrow. I honestly think I may be hitting down on it somehow. I need to get some impact stickers or something. I’m doing the same thing with my 3 wood and hybrid. 

Well went to take a better video of my swing and all of the sudden I could hit again lol. I'm thinking maybe I was standing too close to the ball with no "athleticism" in my posture. I wish I would have taken a video within the first week of having this issue instead of letting it continue for so long. It's crazy how a small issue can completely derail a swing. Anyways standing further from the ball with my knees further bent, and a more pronounced spine tilt seemed to solve it for now.

First hole in one wooohooo 

first hit on a new 48 wedge hit it kind of thin, but it touched down about 5 foot in front of the hole and rolled in. 

pump died at this course so greens are just sand till next year. I’ve been playing here on my way home every day from work. It’s free for the rest of the year since the greens are dead. I’m still counting it!! 

26698CCC-A0FA-4B41-922E-9826D2F093D1.jpeg

• Administrator

Wow that's interesting about the course just letting their greens die/go to sand… but congrats! Did you claim it in the "Claim Your Achievements" topic?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/28/2019 at 6:30 AM, Double_AA said:

Well went to take a better video of my swing and all of the sudden I could hit again lol. I'm thinking maybe I was standing too close to the ball with no "athleticism" in my posture. I wish I would have taken a video within the first week of having this issue instead of letting it continue for so long. It's crazy how a small issue can completely derail a swing. Anyways standing further from the ball with my knees further bent, and a more pronounced spine tilt seemed to solve it for now.

path looks good. backswing and transition seems a little rushed. not sure if youre completing your turn.  looks as though you also fall back on your heels a bit to start the downswing, which might lead to some toey shots and release of angles a little early to get the club to the ball.  But hey, youre gettin the ball up in the air now and your general swing path should lead to some decent golf shots. 

• Like 1

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

13 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Can you get us some slow motion of your much better swing?

Yes, I will asap.

9 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

path looks good. backswing and transition seems a little rushed. not sure if youre completing your turn.  looks as though you also fall back on your heels a bit to start the downswing, which might lead to some toey shots and release of angles a little early to get the club to the ball.  But hey, youre gettin the ball up in the air now and your general swing path should lead to some decent golf shots. 

Yeah, this must have just been a good day because the posture wasn't at all the issue. A while back I strengthened my left hand into a more neutral grip with two knuckles showing etc. However, when I did this I inadvertently strengthened my right hand as well and it took me a while to realize it. I was hitting a lot of hooks with my irons, but I could barely even make contact with my woods. Last week I weakened my right hand, what felt like a lot, and moved my life line back over on top of my left thumb. Now I am hitting everything pretty decent, but if I try to swing any of my woods hard I slice. Irons are going great but I have to focus on a smooth easy swing to avoid a slice with my woods. I will get a video up soon because I would like to be able to add some power to them. If I try to hit my driver past 230 it goes from straight to slice city.

I must say I am happy to be back to my slice though I at least feel like I can easily make contact now.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, iacas said:

Wow that's interesting about the course just letting their greens die/go to sand… but congrats! Did you claim it in the "Claim Your Achievements" topic?

Thank you!

I claimed it this morning. 

Yeah I guess it wasn't economical to get a new pump this year. The course is executive and they only charge $11 for the 18. They closed the front nine and re-did all those greens toward the end of summer, but still didn't fix the pump so I guess they plan to just water them lol. I hope they get it all fixed up by next season because it's on my way home and a decent place to practice.

Here is a slow-motion of how I am hitting currently. I have officially come full circle lol. I began in May just trying to make contact, once I was making a good connection I was hitting mostly slices and pushing the ball right. I then strengthened my left hand and went through a period of good striking. That quickly went away and turned into hooks when my left hand crept into too strong of a grip. Finally I realized the issue and weakened my grip and began a new period of hitting great shots. Now something else has crept in and I am right back to hitting slices and pushing out to the right. I'm thinking I may be standing too close to the ball and getting stuck. I do at least know my grip is still the same in a neutral position.

I think since I began I have improved my swing.. I hope anyways. It's about time to hang it up for the winter, and unfortunately I did not manage to break 100. Going to keep at it and try to eventually develop some type of a consistent swing. I love the game so I will eventually get there. Just curious does my first year seem similar to anyone else or like a typical first year, or does it sound like I've wasted a ton of time?

Edited by Double_AA
Didn't mean to save