IGNORED

My Swing (Double_AA)

Double_AA

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: N/A
My typical ball flight is: High Right/ Can open stance and hit fade somewhat
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: High right push/ slice

Videos: 

Here is what I am currently doing with my ball striking. When I hit with my natural swing my ball goes high and right; to fix this I have tried using a strong grip which didn't help. When I go and play I hit with a more open stance with my right front a bit forward and my face open. This produces a fade for me, while it is safer than hitting my natural slicey push shot, it is not very consistent. I did  not show this shot in my videos because I think it is just a band-aid for now, and I want to fix my "natural shot' if that makes sense. I have hit plenty of nice straight compressed golf shots, but I have no idea how. In fact my golf instructor had me hitting them back to back, but he didn't do any video or notes so I'm not really sure what he had me doing right. Note: It is tough to find golf instructors in Charleston, WV. Sorry for the longer videos I was having trouble splicing the setups in the middle of them out, but I will figure it out for future videos.

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks!!!

This is front on with my 7iron. These shots went high and right which is typical if I hit in a normal straight forward stance.

1st Hit Starts at Beginning

2nd Hit Starts at 2:00

This is DTL shot of my 7iron; these also went high and right and were less flippy. (I usually dont flip but I was trying to rush because phone was overheating.)

1st Hit Starts at Beginning

2nd Hit Starts at 2:40

Edited by iacas
Please read and follow directions

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Started hitting yesterday with my head behind the ball instead of over/ past it. This seemed to help.

Scratch the last post it did not help lol. Signed up for Evolvr hopefully I can get somewhere with their help!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I think I'm onto something.... I noticed in my videos that my down swing seemed pretty steep, so I looked into some swing thoughts to shallow it. Such as right palm up and just thinking about dropping the club going down. I also strengthened my grip to point both "V's" toward my right shoulder. This led to some nice compressed baby draws! Now to be honest these were not very consistent as it feels like I have fundamentally changed how I swing, but I'd say 1/3 were nice shots. I think another issue I have is over swinging.. I will have to keep practicing this to weed out the fat and thin shots, but anyways here is what it was looking like today.

6 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Well I think I'm onto something.... I noticed in my videos that my down swing seemed pretty steep, so I looked into some swing thoughts to shallow it. Such as right palm up and just thinking about dropping the club going down. I also strengthened my grip to point both "V's" toward my right shoulder. This led to some nice compressed baby draws! Now to be honest these were not very consistent as it feels like I have fundamentally changed how I swing, but I'd say 1/3 were nice shots. I think another issue I have is over swinging.. I will have to keep practicing this to weed out the fat and thin shots, but anyways here is what it was looking like today.

Looking better. The thread below discusses steepness. Also, remember to practice these changes with slower swings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Looking better. The thread below discusses steepness. Also, remember to practice these changes with slower swings.

Thank you! I will read through this thread. I am going to start trying to get it more consistent with half swings, but I am finding that what I feel is a half swing looks more like a full swing. However when I do what feels like a full swing my arm breaks down and bends. I will have to keep that in check as well as I work on shallowing.

Well I had my first Evolvr review. My instructor agreed with what I was working on and advised me to strengthen my left hand and weaken my right to get my “V’s” on my right shoulder. He also told me to look into the wall drill to lay the club down more. Weakening the right felt sort of awkward but I will keep working on it. Anyways it looks like I was back to my old ways today. Attaching some videos to show the shots....I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong. It seems like I always fall back into this swing. Today I hit maybe 1/5 shots good; the rest were topped, fat, clipped off the toe, and my normal high push right. I have my first work tournament this Friday lol hopefully I’m doing better by then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

It takes a little time to work on changes.

Read that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

It takes a little time to work on changes.

Read that.

Thank you! I do have a hard time forcing my self to swing slow and take time between shots. Especially after a shank. I’m going to keep grinding the changes and start doing slow shot only practices. 

Welp had my first work tournament and it went great! I hit my first 3-4 balls topped or shanked and then one of the guys in the group said just stay down don’t even look up after you’ve hit it, I will watch your ball. Then bam I never topped or sliced another ball. We took almost every drive that I hit. We played a ton of my shots and my plan going on was I’d be happy if we just played one lol. I even almost won the straightest drive hole. I kept consistently using my strong grip as advised by my Evolvr coach as well. 

Anyways I’m starting to think my natural shot is a fade. No I’m not talking a 30 yard slice left to right but a straight ball that fades around 5 yards right. Note I am a lefty I write and throw a ball lefty but I swing things righty. Just curious if that would make sense to hit a natural fade? A draw just feels awkward to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is a couple videos of my driver. I am hitting a fade with it as well. I had to weaken my grip a bit for my woods because I was hitting a lot of hooks. I feel like I am really hitting these balls hard and square but I cannot for the life of me get them past 230. Maybe I’m cutting across it?  Sorry for the bad framing I was in a rush on these but thought I would share anyhow. 

47 minutes ago, Double_AA said:

Here is a couple videos of my driver.

Your ball position looks too far back to me. It looks like you're swinging down on it a decent amount.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Your ball position looks too far back to me. It looks like you're swinging down on it a decent amount.

Maybe.. I try to keep it off the inside of my left heel. I’ve tried to move it farther forward and I’ve also tried to do more of a spine tilt. I have been able to get it to fly higher but it seems to go even shorter. Maybe just range balls not sure. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Here is a couple videos of my driver. I am hitting a fade with it as well. I had to weaken my grip a bit for my woods because I was hitting a lot of hooks. I feel like I am really hitting these balls hard and square but I cannot for the life of me get them past 230. Maybe I’m cutting across it?  Sorry for the bad framing I was in a rush on these but thought I would share anyhow.

Yes.

01.jpg

Plus, your camera view should be on the toe line, not out at the ball.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Right on... ahhh idk why I’m having such a hard time getting in to out. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Right on... ahhh idk why I’m having such a hard time getting in to out. 

Better camera angles would help.

your natural shot is a fade because your steep and coming out to in.  Your downswing is being initiated by your arms, which is not often going to allow you to come from the inside.  your downswing needs to start with the lower body, while if you leave your hands up will help start the club coming down from the inside.  youre flippy through impact because youre so steep your trying to square the face so you dont block the ball out to the right. 

so yeah, getting your swing more in to out is definitely what you want, but understanding why youre not getting it in to out is probably of greater concern, and i think thats your lower body action or lack thereof on the downswing

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

Thank you guys for the replies and for looking into my swing. I have been doing some research today and have come across something very interesting. I have noticed that I always address the ball with my club face pointed square to my target. However, from what I am seeing if you want to hit a draw the face with actually be somewhat open to the target but square to an in to out swing path. When I think back to the compressed, pured draws that I have hit on accident it does seem that my face began in an "open" position, at least to the target. I think starting with my face square to the path will help me immensely to feel like I can hit the ball on an in to out path. It almost feels like I have been to this point before, but I was slicing so I changed a bunch of things that were incorrect. 

Today I plan to go to the range and try to hit in to out with my face square to path, BUT  still utilizing the stronger grip as advised by my Evolvr coach. Once again sorry for the poor quality video that I posted yesterday; work had me out the rest of the week but that has been cancelled nice GIF. I will try to video my results today!