Alohaed

Another hybrid question

3 posts / 347 viewsLast Reply

It's no so much that I have trouble hitting them off the deck. I down on the ball, as with irons, etc. My problem(?) is that I hit line drives. From what I keep reading about buying hybrids compared to irons is that the ball flight is higher than from irons. Could this be me having the wrong shafts?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Some hybrids don't always set for a super high launch.  I was fitted for a hybrid earlier this year and a couple of them had my typical fairly low ball flight but some of the heads (no matter the shaft) just sent it skyward compared to my stock shot.  

However, if you're hitting with too much downward angle, I don't think the hybrid head will matter as you're taking too much loft off the club at that point.  I know I have that issue from time to time in my irons, but changing my swing mechanics sorted that out for me.  

Essentially, the rule of thumb is that the hybrid will make it easier to get the ball into the air, but not always necessarily higher than an iron would be.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Alohaed said:

It's no so much that I have trouble hitting them off the deck. I down on the ball, as with irons, etc. My problem(?) is that I hit line drives. From what I keep reading about buying hybrids compared to irons is that the ball flight is higher than from irons. Could this be me having the wrong shafts?

IMHO...I try to setup a little different with my hybrid-irons...Not so much hitting down taking a divot because, as said, this delofts the club. For me, the set up and pre-shot routine are very important. I set up in a good alignment, ball a bit more forward and keeping my head and eyes a little behind the ball, with the thought of smacking the back of the ball..Waggle to get a little weight forward. The result is a a center strike and medium-to-high trajectory that I like. My hybrid-irons are my "go-to" clubs in many situations. Take what I say with a grain of salt though; I'm just an old high handicapper. Best, -Marv

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades