IGNORED

My Swing (ALong17)

ALong17
Note: This thread is 1647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 Months

My current handicap index or average score is: Average Score 120
My typical ball flight is: High Right, trouble squaring club face at impact
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: High far right, usually end up on the opposite fairway

Videos: 

I'm having an extremely hard time squaring the club face at impact.  I had a fitting with a trackman and my club speed seems solid.  On full shots was averaging between 109 and 111.  The problem doesn't seem to be as prevalent in my iron shots and I'd say about 75% of the time I can get them to go where I'm aiming, same with my hybrid.  But for the life of me I can't hit straight with the driver or 3 wood more than 5% of the time.  

I've had one lesson where we focused on grip, set up, and iron shots, but we only spent about a minute with the driver before the lesson ended.  

The fitter gave me some pointers as well and did have me hitting some solid shots so we could get the proper data but it wasn't in depth.  

If it helps on the trackman I was getting between 240-260 carry and averaging about 290 total.  Club speed was between 109-111.  Ball speed was 156 and spin rate was between 1400-2500.  

I'm working on opening my stance up but haven't become consistent in it yet.  

• 4 weeks later...

All flaws that you possess are common with your miss; high and right. Shoulders are open at address, flying right elbow, coming over the top, and chicken-winging through impact. Move your ball back an inch or 2 in your stance with your driver. Right now its align with your left big toe. Play it inside your heel or off your left chest pocket or logo if you have one. This will square your shoulders better. Swing with a headcover or towel under your right armpit and don't let it fall out at the top of your swing. You're also sliding. Look at your slo-mo vid from head-on and look how far your head moves on your takeaway' 6 to 8 inches. You gotta lot of work to do but all in all not a terrible move for only playing a few months. You're big and strong, just gotta learn how to use that speed to your advantage. Please go see a pro and get some lessons before muscle memory sets in and your bad habits are hard to break. 

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by dagogolfer25

Thank you!  I would have never noticed the head movement.  Since this was posted I have had a lesson, but it was rained out after 15 minutes.  Still waiting on the pro to reschedule, weather hasn't been very cooperative.   I will work on those tips and plan on posting a new video with better quality in the next couple weeks.  

Can you clarify the flying right elbow?  Don't know exactly what you mean?

12 hours ago, ALong17 said:

Thank you!  I would have never noticed the head movement.  Since this was posted I have had a lesson, but it was rained out after 15 minutes.  Still waiting on the pro to reschedule, weather hasn't been very cooperative.   I will work on those tips and plan on posting a new video with better quality in the next couple weeks.  

Can you clarify the flying right elbow?  Don't know exactly what you mean?

First pic the red line is the line your shoulders are on, way left of target. This promotes an outside-in downswing which produces a slice. The blue line is where the should be, square to your target and parallel to your feet, thighs, etc. 2nd pic the red line shows the position of your right elbow, cocked up and out. The blue line is closer to where it should be. If you stick a headcover in there and swing, if you fly that elbow out, the headcover will fall to the ground. 

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

• Administrator

I haven't really looked at the swing, but often the right elbow will do what it's doing here when the shoulder turn is as flat as it is here as a way of elevating the hands/club/left arm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I haven't really looked at the swing, but often the right elbow will do what it's doing here when the shoulder turn is as flat as it is here as a way of elevating the hands/club/left arm.

Great point! There is a lot of sliding and lateral movement which makes the player lift to get the club to parallel instead of turning or rotating. That creates separation with that right elbow.

Note: This thread is 1647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!