IGNORED

Anyone Still Playing PING G30 Driver?

Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

55 minutes ago, Double Drops said:

Anyone still game the G30 driver? I used one last year and was pretty impressed with it. Just wondering what experiences everyone else has had with it?

Yes. It changed my game going from a 10 or so down to my current 5.6. I got fitted for it about 3 years ago when it was selling at a discount ($249) along with irons (e1), fairway wood and hybrid (G30). I got an upgraded shaft on the driver at no charge. The cost for a full bag fitting on Track Man by a nationally rated fitter was $50 net.

I had some kind of Cleveland HiBore driver and 3W that I bought without any supervision and then started using my son's Nike he got in HS. The fitter said that these were junk and he was right. I won't say I never lose a ball off the tee, but if I am sufficiently concentrating I will leave a decent second shot most of the time. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had the LST model and it spun a bit too low for me.  I liked it though, great club.  I don’t think Ping has made a bad driver lately anyway so u can’t go wrong.  

I got fitted for a Taylormade M2 after having the Ping a few years.  Now I’m back to Ping with the g400max

51 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Yes. It changed my game going from a 10 or so down to my current 5.6. I got fitted for it about 3 years ago when it was selling at a discount ($249) along with irons (e1), fairway wood and hybrid (G30). I got an upgraded shaft on the driver at no charge. The cost for a full bag fitting on Track Man by a nationally rated fitter was $50 net.

I had some kind of Cleveland HiBore driver and 3W that I bought without any supervision and then started using my son's Nike he got in HS. The fitter said that these were junk and he was right. I won't say I never lose a ball off the tee, but if I am sufficiently concentrating I will leave a decent second shot most of the time. 

It is not the drivers that were junk, it is the fact that they probably didn't suit your swing.  The most important part of a club will be its shaft.  The head is next because it affects COG and spin rates.  The fitting you got for the G30 is what made it good for you.  Otherwise you would be calling that junk as well 🤷‍♀️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

4 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Otherwise you would be calling that junk as well 🤷‍♀️

I didn't call it junk, the fitter did. He used to made clubs when that was a thing. 

57 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I didn't call it junk, the fitter did. He used to made clubs when that was a thing. 

My bad, but the basic premise still applies.  The shaft (more) and then head (less) determine the fitting of a club.  I know the HiBore drivers were really good because I had/have one that my dad now uses.  It happened to be ideally suited to my swing more by luck than anything else, but to date I have never hit a better or more forgiving club 🤷‍♀️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I used a G30 SFT for a while and passed it on to our son.  He still uses it and loves it.  I played a Ping G driver and there was really no difference.  I play Cobra now.  FWIW, our son decided to keep the G30 over the G.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Still Playing PING G30 Driver?
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm playing a G25 driver still. It is a good club for me. I can hit it high and long, with generally low spin (most of the time). I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. 

12 minutes ago, gray said:

I'm playing a G25 driver still. It is a good club for me. I can hit it high and long, with generally low spin (most of the time). I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. 

I can trump that. Still playing the G5!!. May look at finally replacing it next year if i can be arsed to :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

3 hours ago, RussUK said:

I can trump that. Still playing the G5!!. May look at finally replacing it next year if i can be arsed to :-D

I have a G10 I’m not using in case you want to work your way up... lol!

John

I use a Ping G10 and have loved it for many years.  Shaft is a UST Proforce (not the stock Ping shaft); made a huge difference.  I have not hit the newer drivers better so am sticking with it.  As someone earlier mentioned, a shaft matched to your swing speed will make a big difference.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

Note: This thread is 1607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!