IGNORED

ireland or scotland?

Note: This thread is 5690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. ireland or scotland?

• ireland
    • scotland
    • other (specify)

The Old Head is by no means the best course in Ireland!

http://oldhead.com/index.cfm

Though the scenery is spectacular. Have your chequebook ready - it's €295 for 18 holes. That's $466 USD or £233 GBP. A lot of money....

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

The Old Head is by no means the best course in Ireland!

Nobody said it was the best...However that sure is a lot of money.

edit: My God I just took the "course tour." I cannot fathom a more beautiful golf course. Incredible.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I voted for Scotland. It's the birth place of golf and I'm scottish

Where ever you go, have fun and post about it when you get back.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

• 8 months later...
I believe that this is the ultimate toss up. My buddy and I have decided that we will let the better deal choose for us. PS google Ireland $499. See travelzoo.com deal. Amazing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Have you seen the state of the £ ?

Purly from a finiancial view its got to be Scotland

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I try to get to both at least once a year.

Scotland is great but if you can only do one, go to Ireland. Friendly people, great beer and craic, and the most stunning links and dunes in the world.

I am a little biased, Ireland easy. I heard there is a nice brewery in Dublin too.

Driver Cleveland 460 Launcher 9.5*
Hybrids Cobra Baffler 2R, 3R, 4R
Irons Mizuno MX-23
Wedges Vokey 248.06, SM54.14 and SM60.04
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

I have played in both places, but have to say Ireland has a better overall group of courses. Yes Scottland is the birthplace and there are 3 or 4 you have to play one day, but there are 10 or 12 in Ireland I would love to play every week. I bet if there werent' politics involved, the Open would be played in Ireland!

Just my 2 cents!
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

OLD HEAD IS AMAZING!!! I have been over there twice and it is a must to play. The course is a bit american in layout and shot value, but the views and experience are worth every penny! It really makes Pebble look like a putt putt course (no offense).
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

I haven't ever been overseas before (but man I wish I have), but from seeing pictures I like Ireland a little more. I know St. Andrews is a great course and how it was the first (I think) course ever made, but in my honest opinion it doesn't look that great.

• 1 month later...
I bet if there werent' politics involved, the Open would be played in Ireland!

It is ,its called the Irish Open

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

If I was limited to going over once... which just may be the case for me... I would HAVE to go to Scotland. It's the home of golf... you gotta go there first (just in case you never make it back).

Some day.... some day....

Totally agree Tommy, everyone who plays golf must do it once and dont forget to play on the Worlds oldest golf course at Musselburgh.

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*

If I was limited to going over once... which just may be the case for me... I would HAVE to go to Scotland. It's the home of golf... you gotta go there first (just in case you never make it back).

But if you can make three trips in your lifetime, make two of them Ireland.

I was over in Ireland last summer on my honeymoon, and I didn't bring the clubs ... I am regretting it now, but I bet that I would have regretted it more if I HAD brought them (think she would have let me play one round?).

I can see both sides of this argument, who wouldn't love to play the old course at Saint Andrews, but I think that there is more to do outside of golf in Ireland than there is in Scottland ... so there's my vote.
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Well I am really biased.....

Scotland. By miles............and miles.........and miles.........and miles.

I have been over to Ireland for a game, mainly around wicklow as my family are from there.

Really though in 10 miles you have the old, the new, the jubilee, the caslte, the torrance, the devlin and the mighty Kingsbarns........please compare that somewhere else in the world....thats just one towns courses. There are 100s of courses in Scotland that are outstanding.

No where can compare.

Oh and the guy who said the old course does not look that special....haha, I enjoyed that

Note: This thread is 5690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!