IGNORED

Middle School Golf

Andrew
Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are the middle school coaches looking for at tryouts?

I am in 8th grade at my 6-8 middle school.
What do you think i need to shoot to "make" the team.
Tryouts are three days, two qualifying rounds and one day on the range.

I usually shoot around 45 or 46 and i am wondering if this is good enough to make the team.

I probably can shoot better but more importantly i am consistent.

Does anyone here remember playing in middle school?
or if they currently are in high school who has had middle school golf experience.
My golf coach is positive that i will make it, given that hes seen most junior golfers in the area.
Give your feedback.

edit-i couldnt try out last year owing to baseball conflictions.

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

I did not have the privilege of playing junior golf (didn't start til Senior year of high school), so take my advice for what it's worth.

I did play many sports from grade school on up, and I would imagine that the coach's are all looking for the same thing. They want someone that has potential for growth and a good attitude. Based on the fact that you usually shoot in the mid-40s, it sounds like the potential is there. You just need to make sure you take a good attitude with you to the course. If you hit a bad shot, just shake it off and hit your next one better.

Also, it sounds like your golf coach is confident that you have what it takes to make it, so don't make yourself sick worrying about it. Just let you natural ability take over and keep the positive attitude.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

don't make yourself sick worrying about it. Just let you natural ability take over and keep the positive attitude.

This is good advice for golf in general, too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never played in high school due to the fact I played baseball. Anyways, if you can shoot consistently in the middle 40's, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't make it unless you have some really good mid-school golfers. Just keep a good attitude, and consistency and hard work are keys to success. Good luck to ya!
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

This will be my second year of high school golf and we have tryouts coming up pretty soon again. I remember my first tryout which was 18 holes at our home course and i shot 91 which was not what i was looking for at all. I was a nervous wreck all day and was intimdated by the other guys trying out. All i can say for advice is to just play your game and have a good time of it. Think about it: your playing with your buds and heck the round is free so just have fun more than anything. Coaches gravitate towards kids with positive attitudes who are willing to improve.

We couldn't tell you what you need to shoot to make it. Thats your town and none of us know what the other golfers are like. Some places are easier than others. As a matter of fact, Im in grade 10 right now and most likely will not make my golf team due to all of the other players being 4 and under handicaps.

Some people have it easier than others. I consistently shoot low 80's- mid 70's and still won't make the golf team.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

if you shoot in the mid 40's you might have a chance but it is not likely because at my school the people in the golf team shoot par or a little above but good luck

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I remember when I was in middle school for qualifiers. I was very nervous too. The best advice I ever got was to "Avoid trying to be somebody I wasn't and to play my game". If the other guys are long hitters, don't get caught up and overswing to match them. I wasn't that great of a ball striker but I could make anything within 12 feet so I learned to rely on my short game in pressure situations. Eventually, as you get stronger, your long game will come around and you will be more of a complete player. Good luck and keep us posted!
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

We couldn't tell you what you need to shoot to make it. Thats your town and none of us know what the other golfers are like. Some places are easier than others. As a matter of fact, Im in grade 10 right now and most likely will not make my golf team due to all of the other players being 4 and under handicaps.

wow you got it rough. There was a kid last year at my HS who made JV and his average scores are in the 140s

With those scores I'm pretty sure you could contend for the sixth spot on my varsity team. Haha thats pretty sad, I know.

Driver Tour Burner 9.5*
3 Wood Burner High Launch 14.5*
Hyrbid Burner Tour Launch 20*
Irons: R7 4-PW
Wedges: CG12 50* 56* Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2Backup: 2-ball XG Center ShaftBall: Pro V1xAge: 16

wow you got it rough. There was a kid last year at my HS who made JV and his average scores are in the 140s

Yep, our school has so many players to choose from.

If I practise alot I just might squeeze in in grade 11. maybe a 25% chance. Grade 12 should be the year I play for high school.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

are you serious you got to shoot 78 or better to get in to my hs team

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

middle school golf teachers are all pretty much cardboard cutouts of vince lombardi and want to know how far you will go to win

"winning isn't one thing, its the only thing" vince lombardi

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I was the captain and #1 of my HS team, and I averaged 42. We only had 12 kids try out, so everybody made varsity or JV. We played against a school in a rich suburb who had 148 kids try out for their team. The 6 varsity guys were all members of their home course (a country club). So, I guess it depends on the size of your school and how many other guys are trying out. I had 100 in my graduating class, and only 400 or so in the high school altogether. Of that, 12 guys tried out for golf.

We got whipped wherever we played and whoever we played against, but we made sure to leave our mark on those country clubs. I even nailed their cart garage. Hey, it was about 20 feet left of the women's tees on the first hole.

The coaches didn't think it was funny. Their guys looked horrified, and my team was rolling. That dent is probably still there.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

Hey young buddy,

Go have fun and try out! You will probably make it but if not, it doesn't matter. However, shooting 45-46 in middle school is pretty solid and I think you have a great chance. It will be great preparation for high school. Just promise me one thing - don't let ANYONE pressure you or stress you out. Golf right now should be a fun activity for you, enjoy every second. Golf, especially competitive golf, in middle school is a blast. Once you enter the world of work and being entangled with girls and only getting to play golf like once a month... you'll miss those days a lot.

The coaches didn't think it was funny. Their guys looked horrified, and my team was rolling. That dent is probably still there.

Sometimes you just gotta let folks know you are there.

In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

are you serious you got to shoot 78 or better to get in to my hs team

You must have a really good team.

MOST HS teams I've seen in the Northeast/Tristate... I'd say average score is mid to high 80s. If you can shoot in the low 90s you still have a good chance. I imagine in hotter areas it's different but I can't speak on that. I do know that looking back on HS Golf, what I miss most is the team camaradarie and all of us just being crazy and having fun with each other.... how we did in tournaments in less important. Golf is a great team sport in that literally every player, whether they shoot 70 or 90, can be equally important in winning those matches, especially if you play match play / best ball like we did.

yeah, i am liking the encouragement from all of you.
Thanks a lot.
The qualifying rounds are this tuesday through thursday,

Im going to go out there, have fun, get pissed, laugh at stuff, laugh at myself, suprise myself and just do my best.

Alrighty.
im not worried one bit now.

Keep the comments coming though

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!