IGNORED

Driving Range disaster

Note: This thread is 5909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started going to the indoor driving range about a mont and a half ago and have been hitting the ball great. I even went to a golf simulator and posted a pretty good score. Yesterday however, I went to the range and right from the get go, I didn't feel comfortable above the ball and it showed in my swing. I hit some good shots, but had some really bad ones as well...more than usual. What can I do to overcome this because my confidence just took a little hit when it was at an all time high?

I started going to the indoor driving range about a mont and a half ago and have been hitting the ball great. I even went to a golf simulator and posted a pretty good score. Yesterday however, I went to the range and right from the get go, I didn't feel comfortable above the ball and it showed in my swing. I hit some good shots, but had some really bad ones as well...more than usual. What can I do to overcome this because my confidence just took a little hit when it was at an all time high?

Lots of people think you need to be good at golf before you can visualize a shot. But the fact of the matter is, you've made good shots already. Picture one of those before stepping up to the ball. Use a club you've already had a good shot with, and make the picture match something you've done successfully with that club. Exhale, relax your shoulders, and swing. The only problem is, when you hit a great shot with this, you won't be surprised to see it because you already got the sneak preview.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

is it on a range mat or proper grass? i cannot hit the ball half as good on a range mat as i do on proper grass driving ranges.

Yesterday however, I went to the range and right from the get go, I didn't feel comfortable above the ball and it showed in my swing. I hit some good shots, but had some really bad ones as well...more than usual. What can I do to overcome this because my confidence just took a little hit when it was at an all time high?

All I can say is welcome to

GOLF !!! This not only can happen to you on the range but more often on the golf course...especially if you are working on a swing change like I am. I played the other day and it took me all day (until the 16th hole) to find my swing...I go through this at the range too sometimes as some days I hit it like I should be on the Tour and other days I hit it like I am a 20 handicapper...I guess that is why I am a 13 handicapper...my goal is to swing consistently like a Tour Player and I know I have it in me as I have on occasion had people stop on the range and ask me if it is okay if they can watch me hit balls...I must be doing somehting right...on that day anyway...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Try not to make practice swings without a golf ball, that can really screw up your swing.

For instance, my practice swings felt very fluid and consistent whereas my real shots with a ball did not.

I finally figured it out. In practice swings I had the club so close to my body that it felt like I was skipping a stone off a lake, a very natural movement.

I can't do that with a ball in front of me, unfortunately. Yet.

Just forget about it. You weren't actually golfing.

You need to be on the golf course, focusing on your target. You're a 10hcp...having a bad range session shouldn't affect you.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

one tip i found really useful is that when you are in trouble always go back to the fundamentals. double check your grip, posture, setup. some small things might be off and affecting your swing.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Try not to make practice swings without a golf ball, that can really screw up your swing.

I disagree. Practicing without a ball can be productive, because your real swing should not be 'at' the ball. The other day, I started out hitting very solid tee shots, then lost a couple in the middle of the round. On one hole, I stood behind my ball and just regrouped and made a couple slow practice swings (I rarely take actual practice swings at all) and that re-established my swing. I tattoo'd that one!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

this happens to me all the time and ur not the only one....one day after a good session i'll say i finally got it and feel very confident in my swing...but the next day i'll be feeling something totally different in my swing and hit all over the place....what i do now is when im swinging good i'll write down what those feeling are and the next day i'll try and get to those feelings again.

Hi

the range is never really a good indicator of how someone is playing. I say practice your posture and grip at home with your wife watching...seriously-a good swing will only come from good fundamentals.

The best thing to do at the range is to practice your pre shot routine on every shot-don't just beat balls like a robot! Also i like to play imaginary holes..ie driver then flick with wedge to a 400 yard par 4- thats also a good way to practice your concentration.

Am I the only person who has a spatial awareness problem at the range?...i can't stand it when crowds of beginners come in and make so much noise or when someone stand behind you in the adjacent bay-because im not used to people behind me on the course..it's probably just a saftey thing.

I'm still waiting for a fatality at the range when someone skies their driver in to the tin roof..lol!

bb

Note: This thread is 5909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!