IGNORED

TopTracer Range

gbogey
Note: This thread is 1497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to a range over the weekend that has Toptracer technology (like on the pro tour events on TV).  I know it somehow uses multiple cameras to project ball flight.  It must be relatively shortly after impact because I had one shot hit a utility wire but my shot on the screen kept going.  Anyway, it's a fun way to practice and I particularly like an approach game that makes you hit different irons.  Does anyone know how accurate the technology is?  Also really curious is would range balls affect what the distance projection?  And finally, I assume that certain conditions, like cold, would impact the ball and therefore the ball projection?

36 minutes ago, gbogey said:

Went to a range over the weekend that has Toptracer technology (like on the pro tour events on TV).  I know it somehow uses multiple cameras to project ball flight.  It must be relatively shortly after impact because I had one shot hit a utility wire but my shot on the screen kept going.  Anyway, it's a fun way to practice and I particularly like an approach game that makes you hit different irons.  Does anyone know how accurate the technology is?  Also really curious is would range balls affect what the distance projection?  And finally, I assume that certain conditions, like cold, would impact the ball and therefore the ball projection?

Usually they are normalizing for the playing conditions I believe. Within the software there are options to account for altitude, barometric pressure, etc.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Usually they are normalizing for the playing conditions I believe. Within the software there are options to account for altitude, barometric pressure, etc.

This is not a fancy range at all.  In fact shocked that they invested in the technology, so I really doubt if they adjust the system for the conditions.  One day it was close to 70 at the end of the afternoon, the second day it was probably 50 after a cold overnight - definitely felt like the balls being cold could be contributing to the computer saying distances were shorter the second day.  Not sure about range balls - I know they don't go as far, but based upon how the technology works by looking at the launch - not sure if range balls would impact distance.

2 minutes ago, gbogey said:

This is not a fancy range at all.  In fact shocked that they invested in the technology, so I really doubt if they adjust the system for the conditions.  One day it was close to 70 at the end of the afternoon, the second day it was probably 50 after a cold overnight - definitely felt like the balls being cold could be contributing to the computer saying distances were shorter the second day.  Not sure about range balls - I know they don't go as far, but based upon how the technology works by looking at the launch - not sure if range balls would impact distance.

I don't think the balls being cold would effect early ball flight that much. I know that on most of the sim software there are settings to make it more accurate for current conditions. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• iacas changed the title to TopTracer Range

I'm hoping to go to one of these in my area tomorrow after my physical therapy appointment. 

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I tried this a few years ago at a range that wasn't that fancy. It was very cold but it was pretty accurate. They even included where yardage markers on the REAL range were in relation to bunkers, hazards and the green etc to help you aim. Very cool and very accurate.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Went to the driving range with the TopTracer technology this afternoon.  There were a few instances where shots that carried past targets that were marked with yardages showed up on the screen as shorter than the target, but overall, the system seemed to be pretty accurate.  It didn't cost any extra to use the technology, and the bucket of balls was the same price as another dingy old, run-down driving range in the area.  I'll definitely be back.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

my local driving range just installed it, but it costs extra.  have yet to use it, and would probably be the type of thing I might only use once a year just to get a good idea of distances.  I believe it accurately measures ball speed and traj and basically estimates the rest based off of that.  club head speed and spin rate would be nice, but I don't believe it measures either. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

Note: This thread is 1497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!