IGNORED

Golf Simulator

hostage46
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm planning on dropping by either the local PGA Superstore or another indoor range to have a go with some video analysis.

Now that I'm hitting the ball more consistently I'd also like to document my distances, problem is the ranges I hit don't have markers. I do now have a gps program for the smart phone, but it will take time to develop the data.

Are simulators in any way reliable for measuring club distance?
Dan in Dallas...

Python XL Driver
Python XL Fairway
Big Bertha 3-SWTour Platinum 7802 Putter

If you are going to visit an indoor range to have the mechanics of your swing analyzed that’s fine… but if you’re trying to “dial-in” distance I think that you would be better served by trying to find an outdoor range with yardage markers.

As to the reliable accuracy of golf simulators, it is after all a virtual simulation of the elements under which you are actually going to play.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

I would never trust a simulator for distances.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would never trust a simulator for distances.

Yea I have hit some pretty curious distances in the simulator at Golf Galaxy. I'm sure some are more accurate than others, but I hit a 7-iron 206 yards one day and I'm pretty sure I caught it a bit fat.

The only thing that a simulator has on a range is the fact that you can hit the ball you actually play but I'de find a better range. If nothing else it allows you to see the shot play out in front of your eyes. The more good mental images you can stow away, the more you can draw from when it matters.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Yea I have hit some pretty curious distances in the simulator at Golf Galaxy. I'm sure some are more accurate than others, but I hit a 7-iron 206 yards one day and I'm pretty sure I caught it a bit fat.

A friend of mine actually has a full size simulator in his garage (he bought it off of a cruise ship). There are quite a few different ways to set up the distances on it, but we have never found it to be accurate with the irons and woods. We can set it to where it will be fairly close on the irons but then your woods are off and if we set it close to our woods distances, the irons will be off. And this is with all new sensors and HD projector. It is pretty cool to practice in when you can't go anywhere, but I wouldn't use it to get my distances on anything.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't they measure spin rate? Seems like that would be the best way to determine how well you are hitting the irons on a simulator. Woods and driver I wouldn't know how to measure those accurately.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

Because you are fortunate enough to live in DFW, I'd recommend that you go to topgolf (only a handful of locations worldwide).
http://www.topgolf.com/Locations/US/Dallas/Default.aspx

You buy a bucket of special balls with a chip in them. Choose to play TopPractice.
You will get precise distance and ball flight information while hitting outside. You will also get the benefit of watching the entire ball flight, instead of into a net or screen.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Like others, I never trust the simulators for accurate distances. When I bought my driver at Dick's, the distances were way off. Of course, we've come to expect that from the big retailers. I also cant stand hitting off of a mat, and it may be more of a mental block than anything, but I take that into consideration as well when hitting into a sim.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

• 10 years later...

Hello guys ive started to make some videos where i compare golfsimulators i have a Skytrak, Trugolf simulator, optishot and a old Flightscope.
I have started to compare the Skytrak with the optishot since they are the more cheaper ones that most ppl can afford 🙂

I hope this can help ppl to choose what system they want to get 🙂

Feel free to check out my youtube where i will try to cover everything golf related https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOkeZ6uixfIdvvpzUUcGLYg/

Here is my lastest video where i compare the Skytrak and the optioshot 2 systems while hitting irons 🙂

• iacas changed the title to Golf Simulator
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!