IGNORED

2008 Taylormade tour burner driver. thoughts ?

Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I just got a nike sumo 5000 and its a very nice driver but pretty much all carry even with a cut down proto shaft and an 8.5 head.
I just saw this new Superquad replacement coming out soon. Now don't take this the wrong way , but I wasn't super impressed with the first superquad that I demo'd it didn't feel all that forgiving. Do any of you quad users get decent roll or whats the deal and how is the forgiveness on that club vs my sumo. I know it's like very popular on tour but I'm just trying to get a bit more info.

Thanks,

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

. . .I use a Superquad 9.5 driver but I just bought a Burner hybrid 25 degree and it really is a nice club! Gets the ball up quickly and is really forgiving on miss hits! Needless to say, I have retired my 3 iron which I never could hit anyway!

Hit 'em straight. . .and long!

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

Haven't hit the SUmo yet, but the Quad is extremely forgiving by all means and I myself get 10-15 yards of roll with a 9.5* head.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

all carry? Sounds like the ball is rolling up the face.

New MOI drivers need to be hit with an ascending blow, move the ball to the inside of your lead foot.

Driver: G5 9 Degree w/ Aldila Green Stiff
Irons: i5 Green Dot
Wedge: 588 53 Degree
Balls: NXT Tour

they are both great drivers but i think the best drivers on the market is the ping g10 it is very long and forgiving with a traditional shape

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Going to try the superquad and the XTD adams driver at range next week so we'll see. I'll also try moving the ball forward a bit to hit up on it. Anyone hit the XTD square driver ?

IN THE BAG-
Driver Adams 8.5 Insight XTD YSQ-65 Stiff
Nike Sumo2 3 wood
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid
Irons Taylromade r7 Steel shaftCallaway X 60 degree wedge MD groovesPutter Scotty Cameron Newport

• 2 months later...
Hi guys,

You're referring to this:

?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Not the best looking club TM have ever produced! Combine that with the RGB and you have a couple of pretty ugly sisters! I know its popular on tour but I'd probably use it if TaylorMade gave it to me and fit me for free!

However if you want to see a truly visually disturbing TaylorMade product check out this 'only for the Japanese market' driver. Its called the XR. Believe me it looks worse in the 'flesh'. The shaft is also a standard 46.75 inches!!!

TM have lost my custom for a while...

http://japan.taylormadegolf.com/prod...ection=gallery

I hit the new tour burner yesterday against my old burner- Nice look from above and noticeably less spin on miss hits- Hard to give it the full test with the stock shaft as my current burner has a Pro V2 in it-

Should be a hit except for the price!

DR

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

However if you want to see a truly visually disturbing TaylorMade product check out this 'only for the Japanese market' driver. Its called the XR. Believe me it looks worse in the 'flesh'. The shaft is also a standard 46.75 inches!!!

That club looks sweet! I would try it if it was in America.

In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

Looks aside, it is a nice feeling club. I've only taken a few swings but compared to my cut down 425TP it isnt worth the 600 priceline for the TP model. I love Sergio's blatant namedrop in his Players speech "I want to thank Taylormade for the LDP ball, the best wind ball made. I drove the ball very well, with my TAYLORMADE TOUR BURNER"

he should have added that its now available at all local golf stores... haha

anyways, definately a very interesting club but as I said before this is the type of driver that you want to upgrade to if you are behind in technology. Every season they continue to come out with "new" techonology but if you already are swinging a driver from the past two seasons how much do expect to gain?

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

How do people find the shaft length (45.5 inches) for the tour burner?

I can hit okay with a 45 inch shaft (my driver's 44) but anything over that and I find myself having to make an 'unnatural' swing to achieve anything like decent contact!

To the OP, you thread title is bout the Tour Burner, but you whole first post is bout the Superquad, which are you asking about? I am just going to reply to the thread title, so here it is.

The Tour Burner TP is the only club from TaylorMade that I would ever use. I don't think that club looks bad of anything, and performance wise it is a great club IMO. If I didn't hit the Aldila VS Proto "By You" so great then I would be getting the Your Burner TP.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I just bought a new driver a few weeks ago after looking and trying seemingly every model out there.

I tried the Superquad and of all of TaylorMade's offerings I liked it the best. Wasn't a big fan of the Tour Burner at all to be honest. Didn't seem to have any feel to it (not sure if thats the shaft?) and the distance wasn't as good either so wasn't even close for me. I liked the superquad but found it wasn't as forgiving as some of the newer drivers out.

I ended up going with a G10 with the Prolaunch Red shaft. I like how Ping has given 2 great shaft options outside the stock and no extra cost and the thing bombs drives while still being really accurate with a more traditional look and great feel. I'd definitely give it a shot as its cheaper than the Tour burner as well.

But nomatter what go get fitted and try a ton of stuff out, you'll be able to narrow your choices down fast and everyone is different so try for yourself.

In Ozone blue/argyle bag:

Driver: G10 - 10.5 Grafalloy Prolauch Red Stiff
5 wood: G5 with grafalloy prolaunch blue
Irons 4-Gap: AP2 - Project X 5.5 SW: CG10 56degreeLW: Bob Vokey Spin Milled 60 degreePutter: Studio Style Newport 2 (Custom Shop)Ball: TP Black/Red

I tried out the Tour Burner at a TM demo this weekend and I hit nice, high, straight drives over and over. Still able to work it a bit as well. Strangely, the 45.5" shaft didn't seem to affect me, but the 46" shaft in the Burner was too long for me.

My R7 425 is now a backup...

R9 SuperTri 10.5*
Exotics XCG-3 4W 16.5*
Idea Pro 18* and/or 20*
i15
X-Tour 54/60PM Trinidad TP Black LDPAll in a SCB and MicroCart

This past weekend, they had a demo day at our local driving range. All of the major manufacturers were there (Titleist, Nike, Adams, Ping, Callaway, Cobra, TaylorMade, etc) I was looking for a new driver to replace my existing 905R. Going in, I was dead set on getting the G10. I had heard nothing but great reviews on it. After not hitting the G10 well initially with all of the combinations of shaft and angle, I decided to try out the different booths. When I first hit the Tour Burner, it was straight and long. I eventually went back to the Ping booth again in hopes that I was just stiff the first time. Same results. Went back to TaylorMade and got the same results as the first time.

I ended up buying the TaylorMade Tour Burner and went out and hit 12 out of 14 fairways the first time with it. I am typically a 50% fairway hitter. I don't know that it hits any longer than my 905R but is far more accurate.

Ultimately, it is personal preference. What works for one will not work for another. Going out to a demo day and hitting multiple drivers with different combinations of shafts and angles is the best way to determine what driver will work best for you. Hitting into a net using a launch monitor is just not the same as seeing how it performs at a driving range. I highly recommend that.

Tim

Note: This thread is 5806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!