IGNORED

Are today's blades more forgiving? I need some recommendations

Note: This thread is 1421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I bought a set of AP3's last year on sale, and I hate them. They're too big and too offset for me. I pulled the old 690 MB's out of the closet this weekend and struck the ball much better and felt more comfortable, but my game isn't what it once was, and I was wondering what kind of difference I'd see between them and a modern set of blades in regards to distance and forgiveness. I get that CB's or AP2/T100's might be a good compromise, but if I wanted blades, what are the more forgiving options? Anyone play the King forged combo? I'm a lefty, so my Mizuno options are limited (Never should have sold my MP 54's!)

2 minutes ago, Cut4 said:

So I bought a set of AP3's last year on sale, and I hate them. They're too big and too offset for me. I pulled the old 690 MB's out of the closet this weekend and struck the ball much better and felt more comfortable, but my game isn't what it once was, and I was wondering what kind of difference I'd see between them and a modern set of blades in regards to distance and forgiveness. I get that CB's or AP2/T100's might be a good compromise, but if I wanted blades, what are the more forgiving options? Anyone play the King forged combo? I'm a lefty, so my Mizuno options are limited (Never should have sold my MP 54's!)

Lefty here. You may like the ‘players distance’ irons that are out there. Depends on how much of the ‘blade’ style you want. Callaway Apex Pro are very nice clubs. I loved my Mizuno MP-54s. I just got more distance yet same dispersion with my current set, Callaway Mavrik Pro irons. But hey...my Mizuno 54’s are in good shape and I’ll sell them to you for well below their value being a TST member.....😃

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Lefty here. You may like the ‘players distance’ irons that are out there. Depends on how much of the ‘blade’ style you want. Callaway Apex Pro are very nice clubs. I loved my Mizuno MP-54s. I just got more distance yet same dispersion with my current set, Callaway Mavrik Pro irons. But hey...my Mizuno 54’s are in good shape and I’ll sell them to you for well below their value being a TST member.....😃

I'll keep that in mind. Any interest in a swap for some AP3's? lol

1 hour ago, Cut4 said:

I'll keep that in mind. Any interest in a swap for some AP3's? lol

Well your  AP3’s are probably quite newer than the 54’s...but sure..I’m in.

I love messing around with different clubs. I have some Titleist 714MB irons, Ping i200 as well.😃

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I just recently bought some Titleist 620 MBs as more of a experiment more than anything and I'm completely hooked now. I started out by only buying PW-8i to see if I could get a feel for them because they're muscle backs and the only irons I've ever played have been game improvement irons up until now. It didn't take long to fall in love with these 620 MBs and the mis hits really don't seem like that big of a deal (specially compared to how you hear people talk about it).

Could I get more mileage out of sticking to GI irons? Maybe, but who knows and I'm not a data guy so I'm not going to be spending any time obsessing over numbers to find out either, and I also don't play enough for it to matter. If I make a bad swing with my GI irons I get a poor result, same thing applies to these MBs, so for me personally I'm sticking with these and buying more of them because I've never hit anything that has sounded so good or felt as good as these 620 MBs! If I had to use one word to describe them it would be "solid"..they are just very solid..solid feeling and they even sound solid...specially compared to my other irons which are very clicky sounding (TaylorMade M5s).

:titleist:

10 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

MBs and the mis hits really don't seem like that big of a deal (specially compared to how you hear people talk about it).

It’s fine if the MB’s ‘feel’ better to you. But when it comes to knowing if an iron is better or not for our game, many of us use data. You said mis-hits don’t ‘seem like that big of a deal.’ Not to be an ass but many of us want to know if an iron is better for our game. Going with only feel, ‘seems’ is why so many myths existed for so long and still continue...like ‘ it’s my putting that’s killing my scores.’ 
Not being a ‘data guy’ is fine but you have to accept that those MBs may not be the best club for your game. If you’re fine with that that’s ok. Just sayin’...🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s fine if the MB’s ‘feel’ better to you. But when it comes to knowing if an iron is better or not for our game, many of us use data. You said mis-hits don’t ‘seem like that big of a deal.’ Not to be an ass but many of us want to know if an iron is better for our game. Going with only feel, ‘seems’ is why so many myths existed for so long and still continue...like ‘ it’s my putting that’s killing my scores.’ 
Not being a ‘data guy’ is fine but you have to accept that those MBs may not be the best club for your game. If you’re fine with that that’s ok. Just sayin’...🙂

Completely agree and was going to keep typing out a lot more stuff but felt I already wrote a big enough wall of text! I feel like this approach works for me because in the back of my mind I've always been intrigued by these types of clubs but always stayed away from them because of the whole "you're not scratch or a pro so you're not good enough to play those" debate. I'm glad I don't care about stuff like that anymore and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and got some of my own to personally test/play with. I'm also not writing off ball data so I hope I did not come across as thinking it doesn't matter, obviously it does matter and it is very helpful to a lot of us players and to the fitters, etc out there to get the right club in our hands!

Even though my statement may sound like I'm not a "data guy" that is not true. I got fitted last year and I also just had a lesson hitting with a FlightScope so I know where my game is and what I need to work on, I also track my rounds and record stats, etc, etc. For me going the route of MBs is more of a personal thing more than anything else, I wanted to know if I could hit them well enough to play them and I can, I also wanted to get away from this whole era of jacked loft's on clubs and get back to a more traditional club. I'm a bit of a purist and always had a thing for Titleist so that also matters to me as well.

I only get to play on the weekends these days so at best I'm getting like 2 rounds a week in and that also includes any kind of practice, which most of the time means I'm going to practice a little before or after my round. So with that limited amount of time I decided I wanted to play Golf how I wanted to play it and do it using the gear I truly wanted to use!

:titleist:

Note: This thread is 1421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!