IGNORED

Bellingham, WA Golf Courses

Note: This thread is 1377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Double Mocha Man saw your post before the other thread was locked down.

Not surprised that 3 courses are and might close....IMO...the area is over built based on the population.....based on the border closing Homestead must be hurting....especially considering 

Do you think Loomis can survive?....what about other courses?

I can't think of a full length course here in the GVRD that has closed.....though a few want to be re-zoned so the owners can sell the course.

@phillyk do you work at Avalon?...now that Eaglemont has closed.

1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

@Double Mocha Man saw your post before the other thread was locked down.

Not surprised that 3 courses are and might close....IMO...the area is over built based on the population.....based on the border closing Homestead must be hurting....especially considering 

Do you think Loomis can survive?....what about other courses?

I can't think of a full length course here in the GVRD that has closed.....though a few want to be re-zoned so the owners can sell the course.

@phillyk do you work at Avalon?...now that Eaglemont has closed.

With Loomis owned by Lummi, I doubt it’d close. Homestead has to be hurting, I agree. Not sure what they’ll do.

Bellingham does have quite a few courses, but skagit valley doesn’t have many now (with Eaglemont closed). So that has and will continue to help the b-ham courses. Seems a lot of Eaglemont regulars went to Sudden Valley and others went to Skagit CC. 

Rumors have been flying that Eaglemont will be picked up by the Stilliguamish. They’ve been negotiating but I don’t know how far they’ve gotten. I am now the Director of Instruction at Lake Padden GC. Work some in the shop for now, but I’ve been teaching quite a bit already. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
3 hours ago, phillyk said:

With Loomis owned by Lummi, I doubt it’d close. Homestead has to be hurting, I agree. Not sure what they’ll do.

Bellingham does have quite a few courses, but skagit valley doesn’t have many now (with Eaglemont closed). So that has and will continue to help the b-ham courses. Seems a lot of Eaglemont regulars went to Sudden Valley and others went to Skagit CC. 

Rumors have been flying that Eaglemont will be picked up by the Stilliguamish. They’ve been negotiating but I don’t know how far they’ve gotten. I am now the Director of Instruction at Lake Padden GC. Work some in the shop for now, but I’ve been teaching quite a bit already. 

Lummi Indian Band?....I knew Loomis was sold...but didn't know the buyer.

I love the courses in Bellingham....I believe I've played all the courses in the area worth playing....but haven't  crossed the border to play much anymore. The course I want to play is Bellingham G&CC.

I saw you wrote previously your course was easy to walk so I thought you went over the Avalon and it's close to Eaglemont.

I've always walked Lake Padden.....it does have some elevation changes.....I haven't played there since 2002...I really like the course...but thought the conditions could be a bit better...have conditions improved?

Is LP not busy?...especially during the pandemic?...why the really cheap promos?...even on the weekend???

The 5 muni's of Vancouver and Burnaby are sold out from 6am to 7pm+ everyday....green fees $45 to $75....no promos.

I believe there is no range at LP...so how do you teach there?

Edited by Mr22putt

• iacas changed the title to Bellingham, WA Golf Courses

Lake Padden conditions now rival that of the other Bellingham courses. Our new superintendent has done a great job! We average 200-230 rounds a day, so not bad but always want to do better. The population of whatcom isn't enough to fuel all the courses that well. The border closed has made a big impact. 

Padden has a great practice facility actually! Probably the best range around now. Range sales have skyrocketed this summer, been blowing past our goalposts every month so far. My picture is my “schools” view of the range. Padden also has a chipping/pitching range separate from the putting green. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Lake Padden conditions now rival that of the other Bellingham courses. Our new superintendent has done a great job! We average 200-230 rounds a day, so not bad but always want to do better. The population of whatcom isn't enough to fuel all the courses that well. The border closed has made a big impact. 

Padden has a great practice facility actually! Probably the best range around now. Range sales have skyrocketed this summer, been blowing past our goalposts every month so far. My picture is my “schools” view of the range.  Padden also has a chipping/pitching range separate from the putting green. 

... and a practice greenside sand trap. 

3 hours ago, phillyk said:

Padden has a great practice facility actually! Probably the best range around now. Range sales have skyrocketed this summer, been blowing past our goalposts every month so far. My picture is my “schools” view of the range. Padden also has a chipping/pitching range separate from the putting green. 

Good to hear Padden's conditions have improved.

I rarely/never hit golf balls before playing....did a Google map and now see the range and now remember it.....has the old range cover on a few stalls been updated....I think it was quite old.

Has Padden updated/renovated the pro shop/clubhouse?

Note: This thread is 1377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!