IGNORED

Play Exec Courses to improve scoring

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you play Par3 courses to sharpen your scoring game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Will consider for the future

As for the no tee subject I disagree. Nick Faldo was known (for a period of time) to tee up all of his shots on the range, and if you look at tour players you'll see that almost all of them tee it up on par 3 holes (the LPGA's Laura Davies being one of the few exceptions). Like many tour pros have said if you have the opportunity to give yourself a perfect lie on every tee box (and take that variable out of the equation) why not do it?

I think there is a misunderstanding... Sure...when I play on a championship course...I absolutely put my ball on a tee on every single opportunity.

When I am 'practicing' on a par 3 course...I am attempting to simulate hitting from a fairway....which means no tee and hitting off the turf. As for practicing with the ball on a tee...sure...I also hit some of my practice range shots off a tee...when I am working on tempo. And yes...sometimes I also hit some of the par 3 practice from a tee...but mostly I am simulating fairway conditions.

for a exec. course you should

Again....I am speaking of the par 3 periodically as a practice session. So don't be too concerned about scoring...yet at the same time...do keep score to track progress.

So...don't be too concerned if you are not shooting par. (ps...best score when I tried to score and not practice on that somewhat demanding par3 course I shared a link to.... 7 under)

for a exec. course you should

Umm... Really? Par 3's can be the most intimadating hole for someone that is just starting the game. 1 bad shot and thats alteast a bogey. Hit it into the sand trap, not alot of casual golfers are great at getting it up and down.

Agreed, Exec. courses arent the hardest to play in the world, but I dont expect someone with a handicap of above 12 to be playing them par on every hole.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I would love to play Exec courses for practice, I wish I could find some near me.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

some exec. courses have par 4 s but i like to play them like par 3s.

ha ha if i can par a 320 yard par 3, i wouldn't be carrying this handicap.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

The shortest par-4 I've seen on any course is 251 yds. One exec I play has three par-4s between 270 and 305 yds. I don't think any of these play like par 3's for anyone.

As long as the greens are decent, playing any par 3 or executive course is 'better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick'. If my choice is to play 9 holes in an hour on a par-3 or not to play at all, I'll play the par-3.

I'm not sure how this devolved into a 'tee or no tee' debate, but you always make that choice based on the type of shot you want to hit, no matter what course you are playing.

SubPar

The shortest par-4 I've seen on any course is 251 yds. One exec I play has three par-4s between 270 and 305 yds. I don't think any of these play like par 3's for anyone.

i hit my driver 270yds avg.

3 wood about 230.... if you play a par 4 like a 3. you should be atleast par. exec. courses have lower ratings... exec. course : around 54 regular course : around 70

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Must be hard to maintain a 14 handicap averaging 270 off the tee. Some execs and all par-3 courses I've seen are not rated . The Van Nuys Golf Course executive (par-30) is rated (56.4/81). Based on length alone this type courses should not be difficult, but they counter the length with other challenges. The greens are usually small and not consistent speed. The fairways are narrow and not cut tight. Any traps are usually not well cared for. I have played Van Nuys a lot over the years and making birdies or pars on those three par fours is hardly a 'given'. SubPar

I have played Van Nuys a lot over the years and making birdies or pars on those three par fours is hardly a 'given'.

When I started playing golf, the North course (par-3s, no par-4s) there was where I did it. That was the first 9-hole and 18-hole course I played. I got my first birdie at hole #11 on the north course one night after work.

According to legend, Samuel L. Jackson began by playing that course over and over. I think he said something to that effect in his "My Shot!" interview a while back. Due to starting on that course, I've always felt comfortable 130 yards and in. Not enough to always shoot well at that range - check my handicap - but that if the rest of the hole had gone poorly, I can easily picture it as a par-3 once I'm that close.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If thats your driving average and your handicap is 14 you must be giving your shots away inside of 150 yds. So with that in mind, its hard for me to believe that you can make par or birdie everyhole.

Just an observation.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

When I started playing golf, the North course (par-3s, no par-4s) there was where I did it. ...

When I first started playing in 1996 I played almost exclusively at Van Nuys GC. I played in Red's skins games several days a week. I learned to play under pressure and developed a decent short game. Later I moved to playing longer courses.

Duffy Waldorf used to play there regularly with his kids. He is a pro and holds the course record across the street at Woodley Lakes, but he was not put-off by the idea of playing an executive. SubPar

Duffy Waldorf used to play there regularly with his kids. He is a pro and holds the course record across the street at Woodley Lakes, but he was not put-off by the idea of playing an executive.

Woodley lakes is my "home course" at the moment. I just ran across the Waldorf record last week. I was even thinking of starting a thread asking if any TOUR pros have the record at anyone else's home course.

Now, if Duffy Waldorf can practice at an executive course, I know I can!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would agree with the original posting that Exec and/or Par 54 courses are a great way to learn as well as work on your skills.

This is the way I learned and will likely be the way my boys learn the game.

I much prefer to play & practice then going to the range.

FYI...this is my first post.

Cheers,
Eric

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

I would agree with the original posting that Exec and/or Par 54 courses are a great way to learn as well as work on your skills.

Welcome Eric....

Let me share another reason why to practice on a Par3 course in conjunction with a practice range.... Balls. At the driving range...you are practicing your irons and wedges with driving range balls. Can't feel the shot. Can't work the ball. Have difficulties in honing your skills. Using the brand/type of balls you would play a round with makes a huge difference as you all know. Ball reacts differently...especially on feel/touch shots.

Yep, I play the par 3 course at Willow's Run all the time. Holes range from 150-75 yards. I typically don't tee the ball up because I want to reproduce the fairway lies I hope to have at a regular course. I can play it in an hour - it's the perfect golf fix when I can't play a full round.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Welcome Eric....

What is all this talk about "practice" on a par 3 course. You play a par-3 course just like any other course.. only the holes are shorter.

Subpar

Must be hard to maintain a 14 handicap averaging 270 off the tee.

He didn't say he hit them straight..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

You play a par-3 course just like any other course.. only the holes are shorter.

And the greens are usually 1/4 the size. (at least they are around here. )

Our par-3's have no drink girl..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!