IGNORED

Play Exec Courses to improve scoring

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you play Par3 courses to sharpen your scoring game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Will consider for the future

A suggestion I can offer. Periodically play executive par 3 courses. Once in awhile instead of hitting the range.

My handicap is in the single digits....playing championship length courses.

Reason to play Par3 courses is that it will sharpen your 'scoring length' game. That is...iron game... pitch/chip/putt...and visualization of shots....alignment.

When playing the par 3 courses...don't tee your ball up either so you don't learn bad habits of picking at the ball. And don't be afraid of experimenting...sometimes even shooting for the sandtraps to improve on your sand game (which many neglect).

How many out there do the same?

I started at executive and par-3 courses for almost a full year before taking on regulation courses other than on rare occasions. I had a 5-wood, irons 4-PW, and a putter and would shoot 170 on regulation courses. Once I got to bogey-average on the executive courses, I was willing to take on regulation courses and found myself in the low hundreds.

This summer, I plan to put a lot more time in at executive and par-3 courses, since there are some close to work and I can use them to really focus on my scoring game.

I whole-heartedly suggest executive and par-3 courses to all beginners. Start at the green and work your way back and you'll be fine.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An additonal benefit to playing par-3s and ecexs is that you will play more golf. I play a 9 hole par 30 exec and a couple of par-3 courses regularly becasue I can get in a few holes when I don't have time to plan ahead, or time to play a four or five hour round.

SubPar

I would play executive courses, but feel they lack the challenge that would make them worth practicing on. I do mix it up and don't always play the tips at my home cousre. Paying the front men's tees helps me just as much as an executive course on my scoring clubs, plus I get the quicker and more protected greens and I get to hit a few woods as well.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Absolutely a great place to practice, agree with not hitting off a tee unless it's a real par 3. My home course has a 9 hole exec. with a 165, 145, 225, and a 220 yd hole (the 2 long ones would be great par 3's), 1st hole is a 420 yard par "5", would make a good par 4. Have some 80 yard and one 45 yarder.

Anyway, like to drop a few balls and practice different stuff.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I think this is a great idea. Not everyone can afford to play the high priced courses all the time. My son and I played an exec course in Florida on vacation last year. It cost me under 20 bucks and they let my son play for free. It might have not been Pebble Beach but we still had a good time and helped with our games.

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

WOW, i dont know why i never thought of AIMING at BUNKERS! You get to practice your sand play AND if you hit the bunker, your aim is ON! Kinda like one of those "DUHHH" moments for me right now!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

WOW, i dont know why i never thought of AIMING at BUNKERS! You get to practice your sand play AND if you hit the bunker, your aim is ON! Kinda like one of those "DUHHH" moments for me right now!

And if you have a decent sand game and tough rough, the sand is probably a better place to miss than the rough.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

And if you have a decent sand game and tough rough, the sand is probably a better place to miss than the rough.

To build my game .... I also drop balls out in the rough to practice pitching/chipping. I even step on the ball slightly to have it sit deeper in the rough.

BTW....the Par3 I play at...I am lucky. The quality/condition/speed of greens, bunkers, tee box...same as a championship quality course. So it really makes for a great practice session. Another suggestion...just don't aim for the water features... And remember...most of the time you are not trying to shoot a low score on the Par3 courses...just trying to hone your scoring game.

BTW....the Par3 I play at...I am lucky. The quality/condition/speed of greens, bunkers, tee box...same as a championship quality course. So it really makes for a great practice session.

Where in CA are you? The executive course I play frequently (Lakes at El Segundo -

http://www.golfthelakes.com/ ) has amazing quality for those too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Located in San Diego.... Here is the Par3 course I play...which isn't a pitch and putt with windmills.

Wow that looks awesome.

-- Michael | My swing! 

A suggestion I can offer. Periodically play executive par 3 courses. Once in awhile instead of hitting the range.

Back in college I went to a par 3 course once a week, and during that time period (spending 10-15 practicing around the practice greens and then playing the par 3 course) I felt like I could get up and down from anywhere, and I had a huge amount of confidence in my short game. If you have a short game area at your course that accurately reflects the lies, elevation, and distances you encounter on the actual course then that can be good time spent as well.

As for the no tee subject I disagree. Nick Faldo was known (for a period of time) to tee up all of his shots on the range, and if you look at tour players you'll see that almost all of them tee it up on par 3 holes (the LPGA's Laura Davies being one of the few exceptions). Like many tour pros have said if you have the opportunity to give yourself a perfect lie on every tee box (and take that variable out of the equation) why not do it?

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

The par 3 courses around here are $10 if you walk and $15 for a cart.
I play a lot of par 3. Its cheap.

The thing I noticed when I played a "big" course, is how HUGE the greens are.
My little par 3 courses around here evidently have tiny greens because the greens on the muni course in Tulsa are monsters. (to me anyway)

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

As for the no tee subject I disagree. Nick Faldo was known (for a period of time) to tee up all of his shots on the range, and if you look at tour players you'll see that almost all of them tee it up on par 3 holes (the LPGA's Laura Davies being one of the few exceptions). Like many tour pros have said if you have the opportunity to give yourself a perfect lie on every tee box (and take that variable out of the equation) why not do it?

I think the suggestion was that if the hole at the executive course more reflects either an approach shot or the second shot on a par-5, you may want to not tee it up in order to reflect that situation. It's the same reason you don't tee your shots on the short-game chipping area: not because it wouldn't help in that shot if you could, but because the goal is to practice something where the ball isn't teed up.

I agree we should still tee it up on real par-3s at the course, regardless of distance (even if it reflects an approach shot rather than a traditional par-3).

-- Michael | My swing! 

for a exec. course you should atleast be shooting even par on every hole. playing exec. course is ok, usually the course is narrow so you have to be pretty accurate. but since there is no need for drivers or woods, it makes it a little to easy. some exec. courses have par 4 s but i like to play them like par 3s.

but its great for getting a good feel of distance control with your short irons

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

for a exec. course you should

I intend to get under par for a 9-hole round at an executive course this summer, to really hone in on my short game. I'll be playing them enough after work.

The only time I've ever driven a "par 4" deliberately was at an executive course. 210 yard "par 4" (Lake Forest G&PC;) with the tees about 15 yards forward. I don't remember what my friends hit, but they were surprised when I drove the green with a 3-Wood and then told them "this is really a par-3."

-- Michael | My swing! 

I intend to get under par for a 9-hole round at an executive course this summer, to really hone in on my short game. I'll be playing them enough after work.

I'm going to a course like that Monday... except tee-to-green is about 250 :)

*no worries for me*
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Note: This thread is 5873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!