IGNORED

Z-U85 vs Wilson Staff UT vs Cobra King Utility

Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone had a chance to try these against each other? Which one(s) did you prefer? I spin hybrids and woods crazy high but hit irons solid, and need a fairway finder. Had a chance to try a WS UT. Hit it rather well, and since all three are on sale currently i might pick one up in a 3-4 i loft, as i'm nowhere near skilled enough to hit 2i lofts.

Have the chance to try out the WS and Z-U85 in different combinations of flexes and lofts in a couple of weeks, but only with the stock shafts available, so a proper fitting is not really possible. The cobra has me slightly intrigued because of the ability to alter the loft and the all-black finish. The bulky hosel is a little off-putting though. NOT the new king UT but this one, so it is a rather old-ish club compared to the others: https://www.cobragolf.com/king-utility-black-iron/

Stock shafts are
Srixon: UST Recoil 95
WS: KBS Hybrid
Cobra: UST 780 ES
Prefer lower torque shafts that are not too light. Currently playing Aldila RIP-A S in driver, PX black 6.0 in wood and DG120 S300 +0.5" in JPX919 forged 5-P (custom fit by miz) and 919HM 4i. Adore the irons and play them well down to 5 iron, but the 4 is a mess. 50/50 straight push or massive hook and it just feels way too heavy to rip around the DG120 in it, so i would like to replace it with something easier to launch. Not looking for extra distance but accuracy and fairways. Mainly for off the tee or off fairway lies on long 4's or 5's. Thanks for reading through my blabber! Not sure what it should be useful for, but helped me think just writing it. Or something like that.

21 hours ago, Lucking said:
Anyone had a chance to try these against each other? Which one(s) did you prefer? I spin hybrids and woods crazy high but hit irons solid, and need a fairway finder. Had a chance to try a WS UT. Hit it rather well, and since all three are on sale currently i might pick one up in a 3-4 i loft, as i'm nowhere near skilled enough to hit 2i lofts.

Have the chance to try out the WS and Z-U85 in different combinations of flexes and lofts in a couple of weeks, but only with the stock shafts available, so a proper fitting is not really possible. The cobra has me slightly intrigued because of the ability to alter the loft and the all-black finish. The bulky hosel is a little off-putting though. NOT the new king UT but this one, so it is a rather old-ish club compared to the others: https://www.cobragolf.com/king-utility-black-iron/

Stock shafts are
Srixon: UST Recoil 95
WS: KBS Hybrid
Cobra: UST 780 ES
Prefer lower torque shafts that are not too light. Currently playing Aldila RIP-A S in driver, PX black 6.0 in wood and DG120 S300 +0.5" in JPX919 forged 5-P (custom fit by miz) and 919HM 4i. Adore the irons and play them well down to 5 iron, but the 4 is a mess. 50/50 straight push or massive
hook and it just feels way too heavy to rip around the DG120 in it, so i would like to replace it with something easier to launch. Not looking for extra distance but accuracy and fairways. Mainly for off the tee or off fairway lies on long 4's or 5's. Thanks for reading through my blabber! Not sure what it should be useful for, but helped me think just writing it. Or something like that.

If you are going to get the Srixon, wait until about, oh, December to buy it. (The new ZX-Us are coming out in January, unless you know someone in Europe who will ship you one after 9/19/20, thanks COVID!) the price will probably go down to around $119-$129 around then. And the custom department at Srixon is open... you should be able to get whatever shaft you want in the ZU85.

It seems to me like you need like a SteelFiber or something to that effect in your Utility Iron. A lighter steel would work too, such as a KBS Tour 105, or an XP 105, or DG 105.

I actually play the 2 and 3 iron in the Srixon ZU85 and am toying with getting the 4-utility as well... (more consistent than any normal 3-iron I hit, I just hit cut 3-utility irons for 4-iron distances any more I hardly ever pull my 4-iron out of the bag)

I didn't get to try the Cobra but I did try the Wilson and hated it... I think the KBS Hybrid shaft is good... but didn't care for the spin numbers.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/25/2020 at 1:48 AM, Lucking said:

Anyone had a chance to try these against each other? Which one(s) did you prefer?

No comparison between other clubs you mentioned, but I tried the Cobra King utility 3-iron as a hybrid replacement for about a year. I hit it about the same as my hybrid, but I didn't love the look of it. The top line was too thick, and the sole was too wide, and it just felt like a weird looking, smaller hybrid head to me. Of course, this is just my preference.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Z-U85 vs Wilson Staff UT vs Cobra King Utility
Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!