IGNORED

Sophia Popov Wins Women's British - No 5 Year LPGA Exemption for Non-Member

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't know about this until listening to latest No Laying Up podcast. She was playing on the Symetra Tour when she won the Women's Open, so no five year LPGA exemption. And it looks like the LPGA is not making an exception. If I'm reading it right, she'll get a two year exemption. Also, she doesn't get to play the next major.

mike-whan.jpg

Mike Whan personally addressed the controversy surrounding Sophia Popov's limited LPGA Tour exemption in a taped statement from this...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Sophia Popov Wins Women's Open - No 5 Year LPGA Exemption Because Not Member
  • Administrator

This is as it should be… under their rules. Mike Whan's response is well reasoned, cogent, and smart.

I suspect Mike Whan might change those regulations next year.

And she isn't playing in the ANA for the same reason Daniel Berger isn't in the 2020 Masters: he didn't qualify when they set the field back in March.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Popov Wins Women's British - No 5 Year LPGA Exemption for Non-Member

When I listened to the podcast, I thought she didn't get any kind of exemption into the LPGA Tour and thought that was harsh. Now that I know she gets 2 years, at least that's something. There's a big difference between 2 and 5 though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Someone needs to tell Mike Whan to cut back on the interlocking finger gestures. He went to the well a few too many times on that one. 

Other than that, I agree his reasoning is sound.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Big C said:

Someone needs to tell Mike Whan to cut back on the interlocking finger gestures. He went to the well a few too many times on that one. 

Ha ha.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!