IGNORED

Ping Eye2 Club Head on Graphite Shafts?

dumbbunny
Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was custom fitted for clubs three years ago. The irons are the Callaway XR Steelhead with senior flex graphite shafts. This spring, I bought a set of used Ping Eye2 irons on Craigslist because I read many articles on how popular they are (or were). The Pings have steel shafts (probably regular flex). I enjoy hitting them even though there is a club more difference in loft. And by coincidence, the shaft lengths are equal to my custom-fitted clubs. My question is this - Would it be okay to take the Ping club heads off the steel shafts and  put them on my Callaway graphite shafts since the fitter recommended graphite senior shafts for a reason?

5 hours ago, dumbbunny said:

I was custom fitted for clubs three years ago. The irons are the Callaway XR Steelhead with senior flex graphite shafts. This spring, I bought a set of used Ping Eye2 irons on Craigslist because I read many articles on how popular they are (or were). The Pings have steel shafts (probably regular flex). I enjoy hitting them even though there is a club more difference in loft. And by coincidence, the shaft lengths are equal to my custom-fitted clubs. My question is this - Would it be okay to take the Ping club heads off the steel shafts and  put them on my Callaway graphite shafts since the fitter recommended graphite senior shafts for a reason?

Hello and welcome to TST! I will notify one of our resident experts on this type of question. He’s a very knowledgeable club builder.  @Adam C

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can do it, it will require a couple modifications as the Callaway hosels are .370 and the Pings are .355 tip. Simplest way is to just sand down the tips on the graphite shafts a bit. Can also ream out the Ping hosels alternately but I personally don't like that method, although some club makers will go that route. You will also want to countersink the end of the hosel a bit. Trying to remember my Eye2 design (have not worked on one in years), but I think you need to do that with those heads just to protect the graphite.

Also be aware that the Ping final length may not be what you think it will be after install since different heads will have different bottom bore to ground depths. May end up a little shorter or longer.

@Adam C,

Thanks so much for this info. It is just what I was looking for. I know a retired club-fitter who would love to have this as a project. He mentioned there might be a difference in the diameters.

21 hours ago, dumbbunny said:

@Adam C,

Thanks so much for this info. It is just what I was looking for. I know a retired club-fitter who would love to have this as a project. He mentioned there might be a difference in the diameters.

It may be easier to just have the fitter reshaft with the same shafts. Then you will have two sets with the same shafts.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!