IGNORED

Macgregor Forged Irons

Note: This thread is 1271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello. Looking to buy a set of old Macgregor irons for playing with ? When were they at their best and is there a set that stands out as their finest quality ? My initial reading seems to suggest that 1978 - 1982 was  a great period, linked to David Graham and Jack Nicklaus ?

I would be prepared to even buy a tatty rusty set and have them refurbished with 2020 shafts  etc etc.....

Lastly, is there a certain BOOK on the market that will identify clubs and aged them accurately ?

Regards, Mark.

• iacas changed the title to Macgregor Forged Irons
40 minutes ago, OXENCOMBE said:

Hello. Looking to buy a set of old Macgregor irons for playing with ? When were they at their best and is there a set that stands out as their finest quality ? My initial reading seems to suggest that 1978 - 1982 was  a great period, linked to David Graham and Jack Nicklaus ?

I would be prepared to even buy a tatty rusty set and have them refurbished with 2020 shafts  etc etc.....

Lastly, is there a certain BOOK on the market that will identify clubs and aged them accurately ?

Regards, Mark.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My favorite older MacGregor irons are the PCB Tour Forged.  They date, I believe, back to 2000.  The set runs 3 thru pitching wedge and the lofts are approx. one club weaker than my current set(s).  I bought them used, several years ago, intending to harvest the shafts.  After playing a round with them I decided to keep them intact.

P.S.  Although I do not recall, specifically, what I paid for them it cannot have been more than 40-50 bucks.  Most of my older name-brand stuff came from thrift stores and yard sales.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 7:03 AM, OXENCOMBE said:

Regards, Mark.

Simply the best! Muirfields

C1141FF6-255F-4FBF-A211-DA794D9FEA9C.jpeg

35DF4CA1-71D3-4C32-AAD6-642F33D3811B.jpeg

Note: This thread is 1271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!