IGNORED

Cracked 6 Iron Head Still Playable?

Note: This thread is 1253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So it seems there is a crack in the head of my Callaway XR Steelhead 6 iron. I noticed it on the range last week  as I was bagging it. I looked online and found this club on ebay for about $40 but I’d need to get an inch added and bent up as well. 

For shits I came home and hit a few dozen balls on Trutrack with it. I’m getting an average 210 yds carry, with a swing speed of 102. It seems like I’m not getting any difference in performance?

Wondering if I should go through the hassle of replacing it just to satisfy my need for aesthetics. Also, I cracked the center of the face of the 4 iron just last year. Whenever I see posts about broken irons online it always seems to be the hosel. Are cracks in the head a common issue or is this unheard of?

323DB451-763C-487E-A63F-E1A28339E5F0.jpeg

33817A15-F7F2-4973-814C-21FA25A36FE5.jpeg

• Administrator

I believe it may render the club non-conforming, and the crack will only get worse if you continue to play with it.

But even if it’s conforming, I would look to replace it soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!