IGNORED

Please suggest - Ping G10,Callaway BB/X18/X20,TaylorMade R7

Note: This thread is 5882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I started playing golf last season and got addicted to it. My swing has got pretty consistent over last year and I am looking to buy a good golf set now. I usually hit 30-37 over which I am really looking to improve on this season.

I have tried a few clubs at a golf store near me and I feel very comfortable with Ping G10, Callaway BB, TaylorMade R7 and Callaway X 20 . One club that I didnt like the feel of was Nike Slingshot. At this stage I am a little confused about which ones to go for. I could not differentiate much between the above 4. Any suggestions??

I know a lot of people will suggest going for something cheaper at this stage, but I would like to get a good set which I can use for next 5 year atleast.

Thanks for your replies.

At your skill level it's going to be very difficult to tell the subtle differences between the various game improvement irons available on the market. Callaway, Ping and Taylor Made are all well thought of in this market. I'd suggest you get professionally fitted with the least expensive game improvement iron that you feel comfortable hitting and use the money you save on lessons and range balls.

Good luck. In 3-5 years perhaps you'll be on here asking the same questions about "players irons".

In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

I would think along the lines of "Game Improvement" irons that gets the ball up and has the greatest forgiveness. Big Bertha's, Cobra, PING G-10 are all good in that area. Now is a great time to buy as all Last Year's models are going on sale to give way to the new clubs.
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

i heard those slingshots are brilliant clubs. I belive chad campbell has used them. I want to say that the new bridgestone caity back irons are brilliant Best wishes

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I'm a fairly new golfer and own a set of Callaway BB Fusions. I like the large sole and how forgiving they are to a novice golfer like me. Maybe when I perfect my swing I will move to some Mizuno blades. You can also get BB's for a steal on ebay.

In my bag you'll find:

Irons[SIZE="1"] Big Bertha X-Fuision 5 ~ PW (graphite)
Hybrids 3DX Genex 2i (17*) and 4i (23*) (steel)
SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

Yea i agree penguin--remember this no matter how good you get you can always use those BB's ..im pretty good and i use the Ping eye 2's which are some of the most forgiving irons in history

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Get Mizuno MX-19s, you won't be disappointed.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

i work at golf galaxy and watch people hit balls all the time, and everyone seems to like the g10's better than the callaway's and taylor's

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys. I will lookout for a good deal on Ping G10, TM R7 and Callaway.

Just 1 more question, I was looking at the Callaway pre-owned website, and they seemed to have a lot of variety there. If I decide to go with Callaway do you recommend going for Big Berthas or X18/20. I tried them out both, and felt comfortable with both.

For those of you who did not read my earlier post, I usually hit 30-37 over.

the big bertha's are going to be more forgiving

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Note: This thread is 5882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!